• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engine over heat after tow rope caught

Jmpicking

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Before you do anything else be sure it is not a bad heat sensor I had one go bad, once the engine overheats it may damage a heat sensor. I believe that was how one of my sensors went bad, weeds overheated the engine and my son drove it in limp mode before he decided to remove the weeds, after that I had intermittent issues with warnings of overheating even on the hose but the non contact thermometer was not saying anything was actually hot so had one replaced and solved the issue. Either way have them checked or find the values and check them yourself
Okay, so I used an infrared heat gun for temperature one hose was much hotter than the other engine hose. Also the exhaust manifold felt extremely hot after running for like 2 minutes and the overheat alarm went off. So i dont know if it’s bad sensor.

But how can I test that?

Jmpicking

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hmm can’t find it anywhere

Jmpicking

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Can I just measure somewhere specific on the engine to see if it’s actually overheating?

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Check the temp at the thermostat housing with your infrared. For both engines.

Jmpicking

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There is a thermosensor and a thermoswitch which one am I looking for?

Jmpicking

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I checked the hose leading to the thermostat housing and it was 20 degrees hotter than the other one

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
What's the temp?

Jmpicking

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
127 degrees on the hose attached to thermostat after about 3 minutes on the hose, at that point the alarm is saying overheating.

Compared to 105 on the other engine

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Something isn't right. We don't have the same engines, but for mine, spec on the thermostat says it doesn't start opening til 136, with full open at 158. So you're getting overheat warnings in a situation where the thermostat would be normally closed. I don't know what to make of that. I'm questioning the sensor readings at this point.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I wish I could help with the heat sensor location I never owned a mr1 engine but if you check on green hulk forum someone would probably know and know the values for testing them I know my supercharged 1800 had several and the bad one was up by the intercooler so I had it replaced by the dealer under warranty

Jmpicking

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Something isn't right. We don't have the same engines, but for mine, spec on the thermostat says it doesn't start opening til 136, with full open at 158. So you're getting overheat warnings in a situation where the thermostat would be normally closed. I don't know what to make of that. I'm questioning the sensor readings at this point.
I heard the thermostat isn’t the actual sensor that would sound the alarm, I thought the thermostat is just to slow or speed up the flow of water

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

Jmpicking

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Those aren’t parts that u can just switch and put onto the other engine to try out though, are u suggesting taking it out and seeing if overheats?

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Those aren’t parts that u can just switch and put onto the other engine to try out though, are u suggesting taking it out and seeing if overheats?
Why can’t you swap them?

0B0E6238-7873-49ED-A634-3EB6A2093CEE.jpeg

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I heard the thermostat isn’t the actual sensor that would sound the alarm, I thought the thermostat is just to slow or speed up the flow of water
That's correct. My point was the temperature you're reading there should be much much higher than 127 if the overheat alarm is going off. I don't know the exact limit, but overheat shouldn't occur until 170+, so I don't see how you could be overheating relatively cool water at that particular spot.

Jmpicking

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's correct. My point was the temperature you're reading there should be much much higher than 127 if the overheat alarm is going off. I don't know the exact limit, but overheat shouldn't occur until 170+, so I don't see how you could be overheating relatively cool water at that particular spot.
I dont know the water temperature coming out of that hose, but it was hot enough where I couldn’t keep my hand there for more than a 2 or 3 seconds

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Woah well let me check again in the morning!
These are from the fx140 service manual. Not sure if it’s the same engines. The values may be different but the procedure should be the same, or just swap them.

I have no idea if the “thermo sensor” or the “thermo switches” are responsible for setting the overheat alarm.

Attachments

Last edited:

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length