• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

EV discussion - hate or love?

Totally agree, but I also don't make expensive purchases on things that are going to be intentionally less useful.

That said, if the charge times work for you, then it's a moot point. My kids are still young enough that we can make a stop pretty quick. We also decided that taking long trips with two young kids sucks and we aren't gonna be doing that much, lol.

That said, you're a 2 car house. I don't think it makes sense to have 1 car that has to do everything. It'd make a LOT more sense for your EV to be just an easy, low effort commuter, and have your wife's car be a towing, hauling, family vehicles.

Only problem with her having the "all arounder" is that then I have to drive it when we tow. We have exceptionally different outlooks on how a vehicle should be treated/maintained/cleaned/etc. We learned early in our relationship that having a "her car" and "his car" alleviates so much stress between us. So, I get the tow vehicle since I'm the only one that can currently drive with a trailer (13yr old will be all over this in a few years).

I think the premise of "intentionally less useful" is hyperbole again. X5 doesn't have a spare right? SS does? Bought something "intentionally less useful"? Like moving from a fullsize pickup to a midsize SUV. I got a 3rd row a HUD, and ACC, but I lost a bed some other features. I went from 87 octane fuel to 93 octane only. I had a spare tire, now I don't. Is the SUV "intentionally less useful"? Every decision has a set of compromises, and at some point you accept those compromises for one reason or another. We're already neck deep in compromises, we're just trading them around as we switch vehicles.

Only problem with her having the "all arounder" is that then I have to drive it when we tow. We have exceptionally different outlooks on how a vehicle should be treated/maintained/cleaned/etc. We learned early in our relationship that having a "her car" and "his car" alleviates so much stress between us. So, I get the tow vehicle since I'm the only one that can currently drive with a trailer (13yr old will be all over this in a few years).

I think the premise of "intentionally less useful" is hyperbole again. X5 doesn't have a spare right? SS does? Bought something "intentionally less useful"? Like moving from a fullsize pickup to a midsize SUV. I got a 3rd row a HUD, and ACC, but I lost a bed some other features. I went from 87 octane fuel to 93 octane only. I had a spare tire, now I don't. Is the SUV "intentionally less useful"? Every decision has a set of compromises, and at some point you accept those compromises for one reason or another. We're already neck deep in compromises, we're just trading them around as we switch vehicles.

X5 has a spare tire I'm pretty sure, but it doesn't have a tow hitch currently. But to the previous point, the expedition and SS are really the tow vehicles, the bmw is more of just a fun toy that the kids can fit in. I could have bought a sport sedan (I did actually look into them, but they were all less common and more money) for the usage it gets.

I could have gone EV with the BMW. I considered it, and really, what it came down to was a) there was no ROI for me, and b) the market isn't mature. All the offerings have things about them that are things I really dont like, and the bmw was an acceptable alternative that had none of those things I didn't like.

I really think a year from now the landscape is going to look a lot different. Lots of new options, lots of improved options, etc. At $100k you're in the noise of what an Escalade iQ will cost, with tons of range and power and luxury and all that.

X5 has a spare tire I'm pretty sure, but it doesn't have a tow hitch currently. But to the previous point, the expedition and SS are really the tow vehicles, the bmw is more of just a fun toy that the kids can fit in. I could have bought a sport sedan (I did actually look into them, but they were all less common and more money) for the usage it gets.

I could have gone EV with the BMW. I considered it, and really, what it came down to was a) there was no ROI for me, and b) the market isn't mature. All the offerings have things about them that are things I really dont like, and the bmw was an acceptable alternative that had none of those things I didn't like.

I really think a year from now the landscape is going to look a lot different. Lots of new options, lots of improved options, etc. At $100k you're in the noise of what an Escalade iQ will cost, with tons of range and power and luxury and all that.
A 911 is still calling your name.

A 911 is still calling your name.

You have no idea. The Corvettes sit in the garage with no use case for them. The X5 is great, but it's just more luxurious and newer equivalent to the TBSS. We have basically resigned that we won't be frequent boaters with the kids at this point. I am like, right on the edge of just saying screw it and trading the vettes and BMW for a 911.

The biggest reason I haven't yet is I haven't found what I want yet with a manual. And as amazing as the PDK is, I think I really want the manual.

You have no idea. The Corvettes sit in the garage with no use case for them. The X5 is great, but it's just more luxurious and newer equivalent to the TBSS. We have basically resigned that we won't be frequent boaters with the kids at this point. I am like, right on the edge of just saying screw it and trading the vettes and BMW for a 911.

The biggest reason I haven't yet is I haven't found what I want yet with a manual. And as amazing as the PDK is, I think I really want the manual.
Get the manual. The car is built for a stick, and feels like it should have one... even though the PDK is great.

Get the manual. The car is built for a stick, and feels like it should have one... even though the PDK is great.
Drove a 911 GT3RS awhile back at one of those Xtreme Xperience track day events. I would have preferred the manual, but all they had was the automatic. Agreed, the auto is nice but the manual is where the experience is!

1726693718786.png

Speaking of EV's and the driving experience. I do really like the involvement that Hyundai put into the Ioniq 5N. Delivered torque curves to match an ICE, interactive sounds (even if they aren't real), and paddle shifters go a LONG way to recreating the experience of driving a sports car. I wouldn't mind driving one for an afternoon to really see how that translates.

2nd Gen R1S parked next to me at the mall today. About 5-10% bigger in every dimension.

PXL_20240921_213845113.jpg

PXL_20240921_213838007.jpg

The high efficiency wheels on the Rivian look like hot garbage. Otherwise the shape and style is really growing on me.

I've started seeing a lot of Rivians lately. They're notultille at every intersection like a Tesla is, but I see multiple a week. Still not my cup of tea styling wise with that stupid front end, the rest is fine I guess. My wife describes them as "*pause* that's an interesting front end".

Side note, your generation of Q7 really aged well style wise. Still looks current, but in some ways better than new cars. It's a damn shame they didn't make the SQ7 until they changed the interior to the new stuff with too many screens.

I've started seeing a lot of Rivians lately. They're notultille at every intersection like a Tesla is, but I see multiple a week. Still not my cup of tea styling wise with that stupid front end, the rest is fine I guess. My wife describes them as "*pause* that's an interesting front end".

Side note, your generation of Q7 really aged well style wise. Still looks current, but in some ways better than new cars. It's a damn shame they didn't make the SQ7 until they changed the interior to the new stuff with too many screens.
Agreed on SQ7. We got sorta close to buying one. I didn’t like all the piano black touch screen stuff everywhere. Hated the screen for AC controls. At 110k it didn’t feel anything worth that. Also felt slow to me but everything feels slow these days lol

Agreed on SQ7. We got sorta close to buying one. I didn’t like all the piano black touch screen stuff everywhere. Hated the screen for AC controls. At 110k it didn’t feel anything worth that. Also felt slow to me but everything feels slow these days lol
Those stupid screens and shiny dash pieces are the #1 reason I'm not hunting down a CPO SQ7 instead of entertaining other ideas. I had a couple of '20+ Q7's as loaners when my '17 was in the shop. With the sunroof open those screens are a huge glare issue. I have light sensitivity issues already (reason why I have 20% tint all around and 65% on the windshield), and that glare made it significantly uncomfortable to drive.

Those stupid screens and shiny dash pieces are the #1 reason I'm not hunting down a CPO SQ7 instead of entertaining other ideas. I had a couple of '20+ Q7's as loaners when my '17 was in the shop. With the sunroof open those screens are a huge glare issue. I have light sensitivity issues already (reason why I have 20% tint all around and 65% on the windshield), and that glare made it significantly uncomfortable to drive.

While riding it I was already thinking about putting matte ppf over the gloss black lol… that would help a lot with the glare.

Thank you. I really like the styling on these as well. Both interior and exterior. Hard to think that's an almost 8yr old design (new style in '17) at this point.

I doubt it will age like the early '04-'08 Acura TL's though. Those things still look great and they're almost 20yrs old!

While riding it I was already thinking about putting matte ppf over the gloss black lol… that would help a lot with the glare.
Agreed. Something would have to be done with that.

If I totaled my Q7 today and had to replace it. I would likely track down a CPO SQ7. I'm not completely sold on Rivian's just yet, lots of unknowns. I also REALLY like the Q7 platform. There's a lot of value in these. I wouldn't drop $100k+ on one, but a CPO at $60k is a decent value I think.

Agreed. Something would have to be done with that.

If I totaled my Q7 today and had to replace it. I would likely track down a CPO SQ7. I'm not completely sold on Rivian's just yet, lots of unknowns. I also REALLY like the Q7 platform. There's a lot of value in these. I wouldn't drop $100k+ on one, but a CPO at $60k is a decent value I think.
Have you looked at Cayenne's? A bit pricier but we both loved the new Cayenne compared to the SQ7. I had a pretty base one for a few days as a rental and I preferred that over the loaded SQ7.

Have you looked at Cayenne's? A bit pricier but we both loved the new Cayenne compared to the SQ7. I had a pretty base one for a few days as a rental and I preferred that over the loaded SQ7.
I have not under the assumption I don't want to maintain a Porsche. I'll go looking/googling though now.

I have not under the assumption I don't want to maintain a Porsche. I'll go looking/googling though now.
No different than the Q7. Based on my research, they are quite a bit more reliable. (especially compared to the non SQ7 engine). Take it to a certified independent. I use one for my 911, dealer wanted 1k for oil and brake fluid. They charged me $400.

The big downside for Cayenne is it's small. The X5 forums lament the tech in the Cayenne a lot too, I dunno about all that though. Cayenne is smaller and lighter than X5, which is already a good bit smaller than Q7. But yeah, a Cayenne is basically a Q7/Q8 with a Porsche dress up kit on it lol

I am (half jokingly) surprised Porsche hasn't made a 3 row yet. Gotta keep that gravy astrain rolling, lol.

The big downside for Cayenne is it's small. The X5 forums lament the tech in the Cayenne a lot too, I dunno about all that though. Cayenne is smaller and lighter than X5, which is already a good bit smaller than Q7.

I am (half jokingly) surprised Porsche hasn't made a 3 row yet. Gotta keep that gravy train rolling, lol.

New car wise ( can't speak to older gens) We found the Cayenne larger in the right areas over the Q7 and X5. Cayenne sits lower than X5 but backseat feels much larger (I think it is wider). We tested them all with a car seat. We don't need a third row so it was kinda useless in the Q7. Tech is a weird one - the Cayenne was perfectly fine for me. The X5 does some weird shit I do not care about like hand gestures. The X5 is damn hard to beat for the money though. We will probably end up with a Cayenne eventually.

I've heard plenty of rumors about a Escalade size Porsche SUV.

Last edited:
New car wise ( can't speak to older gens) We found the Cayenne larger in the right areas over the Q7 and X5. Cayenne sits lower than X5 but backseat feels much larger (I think it is wider). We tested them all with a car seat. We don't need a third row so it was kinda useless in the Q7. Tech is a weird one - the Cayenne was perfectly fine for me. The X5 does some weird shit I do not care about like hand gestures. The X5 is damn hard to beat for the money though. We will probably end up with a Cayenne eventually.

I've heard plenty of rumors about a Escalade size Porsche SUV.

I turned the stupid hand gesture crap off the night I got my X5 lol. Such a stupid gimmick. I think auto parking is a stupid gimmick too. I think a lot of people are buying (leasing) X5s as a brag, so they want that kinda tech gimmick crap.

For me, it was mainly about performance, and until you get to a Turbo or Turbo GT, Cayenne falls behind. I thought the cargo space and rear seats in Cayenne was a little smaller, but it didn't get much attention from me for its performance misgivings.

I still have intrusive thoughts about a hellcat Durango, lol.

I turned the stupid hand gesture crap off the night I got my X5 lol. Such a stupid gimmick. I think auto parking is a stupid gimmick too. I think a lot of people are buying (leasing) X5s as a brag, so they want that kinda tech gimmick crap.

For me, it was mainly about performance, and until you get to a Turbo or Turbo GT, Cayenne falls behind. I thought the cargo space and rear seats in Cayenne was a little smaller, but it didn't get much attention from me for its performance misgivings.

I still have intrusive thoughts about a hellcat Durango, lol.

One thing I liked about the Cayenne, and Q7 - not sure if X5 has it - was the rear seats could slide forward or back for more cargo space.

I would disagree on performance. The Cayenne S is still sub 4 0-60. putting it pretty close to a M60.

Back