• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

EV discussion - hate or love?

No, they don't. There is ROI, if you're already buying something anyway. There is significant value to be found when comparing an EV to an ICE. For me, it's to the tune of about $200/mo in savings.

It's NOT beneficial to swap vehicles just for the savings. If you're already going to buy something anyway, THEN you might as well get an EV and enjoy the benefits.

The Rivians build quality is better than my Sierra and on par with the Audi. I would hardly call it cheap inside, and when comparing the $85k-ish sticker on my R1T to the $85k-ish sticker on a new High Country/Platinum/Titanium/etc it's as nice or nicer than all of those. Granted a Rivian is perhaps NOT in the field of "most of them", but I'm curious which ones are in that group.

It feels really strongly like you don't WANT the premise of an EV to work. Kind of a "glass half empty" vibe you're giving off here. And that's OK, but you're making some pretty strong sweeping statements that are largely subjective in nature. I get we all have our opinions on if EV's are, or should be, forced upon us, but I'm all for consumer choice here. The more options we have the better.

The "Most of them" is Teslas and Mach Es and that kind of stuff. Even the lightning interior is significantly cheaper than the regular f150 interior. I also would argue the heavy reliance on big touchscreens is cheaper too. When companies make you use a touchscreen for something that could have a button, that's cheaper looking to me.

The Rivian is kind of a unique case, it has absurdly high towing capacity in a fairly small footprint. It packs a fairly large interior into something that's kind of between a midsize and fullsize truck. You also got a KILLER deal on it, lol.

If you look at something that has a direct competitor like a Silverado EV vs a regular Silverado, lightnign vs a regular f150, etc the ROI ismt there unless you drive a ton, and/or they discount the crap out of it. That's comparing the two in a "I need a new car" situation. Unless you get a heavily subsidized deal on an EV lease like you got, or a fire sale on a lightning while the ice f150s are at MSRP, you're not really saving any money with most of them.

I actually do want the premise of an EV to work. EVs are a gateway to power levels many would consider.... Unnatural. Or excessive. If you were to make a 1500 HP SUV with a gas motor the EPA and NHTSA would execute the whole team involved.... Unless it was an EV. They'd let you build a 2000hp EV without batting an eye. Hell they'd probably give you a tax credit for it! I just want EVs that don't suck, which seems to be the hardest part right now. I also don't want to pay a premium for one. Look at like, a Taycan as an example. You can buy a 911 for what a new or used Taycan costs. Or a Panamera. Audi ETron GT is the same way, you can get a nice S6 or RS6 for what an e Tron GT would cost you. So why would you get the EV if it's not better?

Last edited:
Back