• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

f150 diesel

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
RamBox and Sunroof is about 3k in options. Honestly at that price point though... you can pick up the new body style for a hair more.

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
2019's havent released the diesels yet i dont think.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
2019's havent released the diesels yet i dont think.
No, it will probably be a while. e-Torque is just now hitting the lots. I am curious for real world MPG increase on those. Rumor has it they are tweaking the diesel to get numbers above Fords before they release it. I am in the Hemi boat though.... I wouldn't want to lose the power. Of course I am also waiting to see what the TR and TRX have to offer and at what price point.

Farmdog267

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Anyone seen or driven the new Diesel F150 yet? I just got a 2018 ecoboost and the dealer I went with didn't have any but they were coming. 5 Star tuning in North Carolina has some tunes in the works for the truck already. I'm surprised how well the small block ecoboost engine performs with towing.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Anyone seen or driven the new Diesel F150 yet? I just got a 2018 ecoboost and the dealer I went with didn't have any but they were coming. 5 Star tuning in North Carolina has some tunes in the works for the truck already. I'm surprised how well the small block ecoboost engine performs with towing.
drove one on Monday. It was nice and ok. I couldn't really tell unless I hooked the boat up to it. I think I will wait. 3k up charge for the motor btw. 20 mpg and 25 mpg on the sticker and MSRP of almost 70k

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
20 and 25? Thats it? Dang that's seems low. I can get 22 on my f250.. .
My neighbor has a '16 2500 Silverado. I have a '15 1500 Sierra. He regularly gets better mileage than I do on similar trips. My truck will squeak out 21-22mpg on 60-65mph stretches. Drops into the teens on 75+ sections. His stays over 20 pretty regularly in those same conditions. Somewhat aggrivating until I realize he has to save about $20k in fuel to "even out" the investments :D

Farmdog267

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Surprising with the Ram eco diesel in 2018 compared to the 5.7 Hemi is the Hemi is able to tow around 3,000 pounds more. It will drink more but overall, but it will take a while of fuel savings to balance the price out!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My 0.02
(aside for paying 75k for a midsized pickup truck... which I would simply not do)

drove one on Monday. It was nice and ok. I couldn't really tell unless I hooked the boat up to it. I think I will wait. 3k up charge for the motor btw. 20 mpg and 25 mpg on the sticker and MSRP of almost 70k
I say: f@ck fuel savings!!! Those Euro 3.0 TDIs tow like nothing, nothing else. They are meant for highway towing, and that's how they feel. It is just pleasant, towing a boat like a twin yamaha - seriously cool.

Surprising with the Ram eco diesel in 2018 compared to the 5.7 Hemi is the Hemi is able to tow around 3,000 pounds more. It will drink more but overall, but it will take a while of fuel savings to balance the price out!
I just recently traded a Q7 TDI for a new Landcruiser with the 5.7 i-Force(?) which I suppose is fairly comparable to the 5.7 hemi(?).

As much as I LOVE (love, love) the LC, there is simply no comparison in the luxurious feel of highway towing with the Q7 TDI. Okay, some of it could be the low suspension/magical traction control of the Audi, but boy, those TDIs are really designed for highway towing!!!!

--

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My 0.02
(aside for paying 75k for a midsized pickup truck... which I would simply not do)

I say: f@ck fuel savings!!! Those Euro 3.0 TDIs tow like nothing, nothing else. They are meant for highway towing, and that's how they feel. It is just pleasant, towing a boat like a twin yamaha - seriously cool.

I just recently traded a Q7 TDI for a new Landcruiser with the 5.7 i-Force(?) which I suppose is fairly comparable to the 5.7 hemi(?).

As much as I LOVE (love, love) the LC, there is simply no comparison in the luxurious feel of highway towing with the Q7 TDI. Okay, some of it could be the low suspension/magical traction control of the Audi, but boy, those TDIs are really designed for highway towing!!!!

--
Yeah I really don't think they will get much better fuel economy than my eco does. The diesel has 250hp/440 ftlb - gas 3.5 eco 375hp/470 lbft . Hell I just bought a new Lincoln mkz to commute in. It has 400hp/400 ftlb , not that I am gonna tow with it or even could but for 440 ft lb at 70k . I will just keep mine and its 13-14 mpg or get a 250

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My Ecodiesel gets over 30 mpg on the highway unladen and I have seen as high as 24 mpg while towing an AR240 and loaded with 5 people and their sundries for a week in Bimini. I looked at the Ecotech Ford F150 before I bought the Ram. Ecotec is a nice truck, but everyone I know who owns one told me they get about 9 mpg highway as soon as they hook a trailer up.

To me the big difference between the Ecodiesel and the Ecotec is the diesel produces its power at a fuel sipping low rpm whereas the Ecotec has to be run much faster to make it's power. It's also why the 3.0 diesel tows so much more smoothly than a turbo 3.5, you have plenty of power available from 1500 rpm and you don't have to wait for the trans to downshift to get the motor up into it's power curve. There really is no comparison. Nothing against the Ford, it is a nice truck and works well for commuting.

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So I have been looking at the new Ford F150 3.0L diesels and wanted to see if anyone has purchased one.

Situation: Previously (pre kids) I had a 2005 Honda civic which was my daily commuter and a 2001 F350 7.3L, which was my weekend/tow rig. It was a Lariat extended cab long bed with an 8" lift on 37" and running a tune. I loved the hell out of that truck, however sold both rigs for a 2013 Tahoe when my daughter was born. We plan on getting a 24' travel trailer within the coming years but the weight load would damn near max out the Tahoe and we have some high mountain ranges in the Pacific Northwest. I don't really want another F250 or F350 because this will be my main commuter car and want something more manageable if tight parking places. The F150 really caught my eye with a tow rating of 11,500 lbs and similar in size to what I'm currently driving.

Any feedback from a current owner would be great appreciated.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I have been looking at the new Ford F150 3.0L diesels and wanted to see if anyone has purchased one.

Situation: Previously (pre kids) I had a 2005 Honda civic which was my daily commuter and a 2001 F350 7.3L, which was my weekend/tow rig. It was a Lariat extended cab long bed with an 8" lift on 37" and running a tune. I loved the hell out of that truck, however sold both rigs for a 2013 Tahoe when my daughter was born. We plan on getting a 24' travel trailer within the coming years but the weight load would damn near max out the Tahoe and we have some high mountain ranges in the Pacific Northwest. I don't really want another F250 or F350 because this will be my main commuter car and want something more manageable if tight parking places. The F150 really caught my eye with a tow rating of 11,500 lbs and similar in size to what I'm currently driving.

Any feedback from a current owner would be great appreciated.
I'm curious on these new 1/2 ton diesels as well. With what I'm paying for my 2015, if i could get into a '19 with a warranty, then I might make the switch. I drive a LOT (Averaging around 20k/yr), and while mileage is one piece of the puzzle, I'm really curious how they drive and handle the towing. My AR190 is pretty light, but I have to think less downshifts would be better.

Rascalrider

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I drove a 19 Lariat FX4 3.0 diesel supercrew last week while getting the oil changed in my 17 STX Supercrew. It was a beautiful truck but I kept looking over at the sticke that read $63k and I just can’t see it! I have the 2.7 EB and At 55k miles I have no complaints!

Liftr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I’m just going to add a data point to this diesel conversation.
I have a 2007 GMC Duramax Dually 4X4. It is the last year before DEF and EGR came into play.
It gets 14.5 mpg empty. My justification is that I only put 10-12 thousand miles per year on it.
The back story is, that I have a farm and small construction business on the side.
I need to be able to back up to any trailer and head down the road with it.
That means backhoe, skid steer, bull dozer, up to #30K pounds, whatever the day brings!

Ironically, if I have to move a lot of stuff, I step down/up to 5.9 Cummins!
D399A986-FE13-4B44-802E-6A3AA00E6EE0.jpegF3EDEA6E-7F43-4DEB-A448-51756649BBF0.jpeg

My opinion is that you shouldn’t buy a (heavy duty) diesel as a “money saver”.
You buy a diesel for its capabilities.

Last edited:

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I totally get @Liftr approach. Doesn't matter what kind of mileage it gets, if it can't do the job it doesn't matter, you'll be driving something else anyway.

While certainly not as capable as your setups, for me, my current pickup is as much of a Swiss Army Knife as I've ever owned. It does just about anything I've asked of it without a second thought. Pickup clients at the airport, tow an enclosed trailer 3 states away for work, drag the boat to the lake, shine up for a night out with the wife, drive across that muddy field to help the power crew get to the downed lines they can't find.....All of that without once having to worry about capability. It really is a Swiss Army Knife, and I can completely see why they sell so well.

I'm curious how the diesel 1500's drive and sell in comparison. If a new shopped is looking for something with a 10k-ish rating, that seats 5 and gets decent mileage, a diesel 1/2 ton is a good choice. But like @Rascalrider mentioned, $63k is a tough pill to swallow unless you're on one of the coasts where wages are high in general.

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I could not agree more that's why I’m willing to pay a little more for the 3k optional diesel motor because of what it can do. Also keep in mind that diesels tend to hold their value more. I’m not sure about your market but here in Oregon a dealer has 4 F-150’s with the 3.0L ranging from $48,500 to $55,800 with current rebates, which seems very reasonable in my mind.

Last edited: