• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

f150 diesel

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
13.5 Towing is pathetic. I get 14-15 easy with crap tires and the boat with my 5.7. The EcoDiesel guys are claiming over 20 while towing.

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The EcoDiesel guys are claiming over 20 while towing.
I just got one, so I'll report back what I manage to get this towing summer, including the run to Florida for the trip to Bimini.
Unloaded, I've been very happy so far, but I came from a Tundra with a 5.7 I force, so the mpg bar wasn't set very high. Loved the Toyota, hated the mileage.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Sbrown you may look into a GDE tune, on the ram1500diesel forum they really say it's worth it, helps with turbo lag, you can shut off EGR and control Regens,

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Sbrown you may look into a GDE tune, on the am1500diesel forum they really say it's worth it, helps with turbo lag, you can shut off EGR and control Regens,
I was already looking into it. A dealer I know is doing deletes on the trucks under the radar along with GDE tunes and they've had very good results. I only have 1100 miles on mine, so I'm having a hard time justifying a tune already but I do notice a lag that seems to happen consistently at very inopportune times. That may be enough to push me into doing it. I've also seen videos of the intake manifold after 30k miles of egr mixing with crankcase fumes and filling the intake with tar, so EGR delete in the interest of engine longevity is enticing as well.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just got one, so I'll report back what I manage to get this towing summer, including the run to Florida for the trip to Bimini.
Unloaded, I've been very happy so far, but I came from a Tundra with a 5.7 I force, so the mpg bar wasn't set very high. Loved the Toyota, hated the mileage.
Funny, we just went in the opposite way - from a 3.0 TDI (Q7) to 5.7 gas (Land cruiser) - so I know exactly what you mean!!!! Gosh, my range now is a half of what I was used to! If that!

--

Farmdog267

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm curious to see what trim levels the diesel engine will be offered in? In the Titan, you have to go to the top trim level. I still think a gas engine for a smaller truck is where to be but I am interested in seeing and driving and getting a look under the hood.

piney1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The new F150 light duty diesel is a pricy option and I don’t see how it adds up to savings over an F250. I live in a non-emissions state so I did the EGR delete and some other stuff to my 6.0 and it runs strong and shoudl for many miles. I know two folks that tow a lot wiht theirs and one as just over 300,000 and one just hit 400,000 on them, both with original transmissions. I’d fear that the diesel in the 150 would not be as heavy duty of a tranny.

The 3.5 is a nice motor but I’d have the 5.0 anyday. My diesel mechanic had an early 3.5 Ecoboost at his shop the other week and it seems that all the early 3.5s have an issue that Ford knows about but won’t fix free. The cost of a turbo is scary IHMO.

Living in a state with stupid low property tax on homes but stupid high personal property tax, I refuse to buy new cars.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The new F150 light duty diesel is a pricy option and I don’t see how it adds up to savings over an F250. I live in a non-emissions state so I did the EGR delete and some other stuff to my 6.0 and it runs strong and shoudl for many miles. I know two folks that tow a lot wiht theirs and one as just over 300,000 and one just hit 400,000 on them, both with original transmissions. I’d fear that the diesel in the 150 would not be as heavy duty of a tranny.

The 3.5 is a nice motor but I’d have the 5.0 anyday. My diesel mechanic had an early 3.5 Ecoboost at his shop the other week and it seems that all the early 3.5s have an issue that Ford knows about but won’t fix free. The cost of a turbo is scary IHMO.

Living in a state with stupid low property tax on homes but stupid high personal property tax, I refuse to buy new cars.
I have had eco boosts since 2014 and no issues. The diesel on the other hand interests me but I will probably stay with the eco. With the higher fuel cost and def I don' think that will offset for my needs. If I could put a 3/4 ton in my garage I would go that route.

piney1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Know the feeling, when I put the 35s on my 250 it brought me to within 3/4 of an inch of not fitting in the garage Thankfully my garage is 24 feet deep so it fits

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hell I can barely put a 1/2 ton on my garage!

FullGarage.jpg

I'm on the fence about a diesel in the 1500 trucks. I would have to take a hard look at economy/maintenance costs versus upgrade price adn increased capability (higher tow rating?). When I was shopping trucks I looked hard at the 2500's, but at $15k premium over a similar 1500 truck, it was really hard to justify the extra cost when all the 1500's I was shopping had tow ratings well into the 9k range, and my highest expected load only being around 7500lbs. It's the same story when looking diesel vs gas. It's hard to justify that premium unless the economy is really spectacular.

UNLESS......That's just what you want, then there is no reason not to get it :D

piney1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It barely fits but it does. I get all three in the garage, thankful for the loft.

A71D2E00-7B0A-461E-A3C9-2F9C90244D12.jpeg

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It barely fits but it does. I get all three in the garage, thankful for the loft.
I'm about |...| that far from building a loft over my garage door as well. My ceilings aren't quite as tall as yours, but I still have maybe 24in up there to work with that would be a great place to store boat stuff (since I can reach it from the floor of the boat once it's in the garage!

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have the 2011 3.5 eco. Truck is at 80k and just did TSB 16-0027 (timing chain and phasers). That is a weak link in first gens. Added catch can to minimize oil dilution (chain pin wear) but with the new chain and phasers should be good for a long time. I agree there is a truck/engine for everyone. Mileage towing the boat isn’t ever a big dealto me; but towing the travel trailer in a 30 mph headwind for 11 hours made a huge dent in the range. That is not a common trip or weather. If so, I would have a heavy duty. At he end of the day, I love my eco 150 for the solid towing strength and the “smack a smile on my face pep” it delivers. So with the 3.5 eco, it’s not just about mpg, figure in the cost of occasionally sacrificing the rubber shoes it wears.

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I guess anything like 23+ would be acceptable to me. The other question was really with the reliability and mileage? Will 3/4 ton "consumer" trucks really run 500K+ miles? I'm just thinking that a truck would cost twice (at least) as much as my next commuter car... so I would want it to last at least twice as long. So, that would be 12+ years hopefully and at my current rate would equal about 360K miles. And, I generally buy used vehicles (1-2yrs)... so this hypothetical truck would likely already start with some miles on it.
I have a 3500 Ram dually that weighs 9k empty and I get 16 in town and 20 highway. I also have 20" rims and 6 oversized tires along with an average of 45 extra gallons of fuel and a 350# 5th wheel hitch in the bed. I have rented 2500 Ram diesels that averaged 25 on the highway and 18 in town (empty). Cummins can be very efficient.
And as far as the longevity; the Cummins are the only consumer diesel that has a overhaul range of 350k miles. Both Ford and GM are 200k miles. But that's unfair since the Cummins was originally built as a medium duty diesel and the other two were designed as light duty so overhaul time is right in-line for those specs.

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You can get a new 2018 Ram 1500 Laramie Eco Diesel loaded for about 44-45k. I don't know what other fully loaded trucks cost in the 1500 series realm, but I was very pleased when I bought my 2017 Laramie loaded with the ecodiesel a few months ago.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
You can get a new 2018 Ram 1500 Laramie Eco Diesel loaded for about 44-45k. I don't know what other fully loaded trucks cost in the 1500 series realm, but I was very pleased when I bought my 2017 Laramie loaded with the ecodiesel a few months ago.
I have seen them lately in the mid to high 30s.

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Brand new, 4x4, Crew Cab, loaded? That is a hell of a deal. I know they are trying to move them because they were held from being sold for so long, due to the EPA.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Brand new, 4x4, Crew Cab, loaded? That is a hell of a deal. I know they are trying to move them because they were held from being sold for so long, due to the EPA.
New Loaded???? I wasn't in the market for one but at that price I could be convinced.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah that is about right, with the options they have, mine was about 44k with the RamBox, Sunroof, and the center console, not the bench seat, although it was a 2017 year model brand new, before they released the 2018s to be sold. I should have waited another few months, haha. I'm still happy with it.