• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

f150 diesel

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
increased maintenance.
Umm....maybe there's something I don't know about the bigger trucks? But far less maintenance on a diesel.

And the one thing noone ever seems to mention - resale. Go price a 5/10 year old gas vs diesel. Sure, initial investment is higher, but the residual is as much or better. Add on the less maintenance and we haven't even factored in longevity yet. I don't understand how anyone could *not* prefer the diesel.

LeeFlan7

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nope, not going to do it...I just got in from work and can't talk anymore shop, all I'll say is there an ass for every seat and (now) a choice for just about every budget

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I would have to really be impressed qith a test drive to buy a diesel after driving them all the time for work. I have had bad and good. I like my caterpillar in the big truck. Don't think it's quite the same and it's old enough to not need def or anything fancy

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I traded in my Tundra Crewmax 5.7 I-force gasser because of the poor fuel mileage which, when combined with a 20 gallon tank, had lousy range. I'm now in a Ram Ecodiesel and so far loving it, but still in the honeymoon stage. I'm not a big Ram fan, so I'm just waiting for the disappointments to start. Looked at the Titan HD diesel, but the for the feel of it (heavy) and the mediocre fuel mileage, I would have been just as well off with a 2500 diesel. I drove the Ram about 400 miles on the highway and nailed 32 mpg at 75 with only a couple hundred miles on the odometer. It is a 4wd crewcab Laramie. I haven't towed with it yet, but if it can hit mid teens towing, I'll be ecstatic. Honestly though, I am expecting better than mid teens. @blacksapphirez seems to like his also, and he helped convince me.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My ecodiesel got 18 towing my 242 down for Bimini. (also 4x4 crew). 15-16 on shorter local lake runs.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I never thought I would own a diesel but after owning 3 TDI's now I love them. The gas milage is crazy good and the TDI's paired in these smaller cars are stupid fun to drive my current q5 tdi is insane with the torque to weight ratio off the line it feels like a sports car in a suv.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If Ford puts the diesel in a Navigator L or Expedition EL I will probably be first in line for one.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Umm....maybe there's something I don't know about the bigger trucks? But far less maintenance on a diesel.

And the one thing noone ever seems to mention - resale. Go price a 5/10 year old gas vs diesel. Sure, initial investment is higher, but the residual is as much or better. Add on the less maintenance and we haven't even factored in longevity yet. I don't understand how anyone could *not* prefer the diesel.
Sorry, was imprecise. Meant increased costs of maintenance. More oil, DEF, fuel filters, whatnot.

I had wanted a diesel sedan before TDIgate happened, but then the equation was a bit more in favor of the costs. talking a 10-15+ MPG swing versus about 5-7. I don't see the value proposition there at the F150 level. Makes more sense on the SD trucks. Now.. if in the future Ford ends up getting rid of the 3.5 Eco, and offering just the 2.7 Eco, 5.0, and Diesel - then, for me at least, I'm interested again.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I will agree with @seanmclean .. The service on my f250 is more than what I expected. And any kinda of repair or parts are expensive as well. I bought a 06 unmolested f250 with the 6.0 that only had 68 thousand miles on it. Now before you make the ugly face about the 6.0 I researched all 6.0 info I could for 2 years before I decided to buy one. The engine ia a great engine unless u want to add 300 hp with a tuner and dont do engine work first. What I didn't know is the man let this truck sit for 2 years before selling it. There was rust all in the fuel system that did not break loose and show up until about 500 miles later. I had to replace the hfcm on the fram rail... Then I got worried about the oil cooler and egr. I was planning on replacing them later but went ahead and did it. All of that was expensive.. More so than a gasser. But now I have all the problem's resolved except head studs. . And I am not going to make this motor produce 600 HP. Net result. The diesels last forever.. Preform wonderfully.. But u have to stay ontop of maintenance and repairs are gonna cost u!

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think to some extent we are comparing apples to oranges. I think there are two separate arguments at play: heavy duty gas vs diesel, and light duty gas vs diesel.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I don’t really consider DEF much of a cost. You’re talking 20-40 dollars every 10k miles if you find it on sale. The maintenance isn’t much on the smaller motors as far as oil capacity and filters. You just wanna do fuel filters that most people don’t worry about on gas motors. The small diesels are less oil capacity than your big heavy duty trucks.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
+def
+Fuel filters

-spark plugs
-plug wires
-coilpacks
-tune ups
-secondary air systems
-evaporative emissions systems
-variable intake doomaflotchies
-carbon buildup on valves
-complex pcv systems
-vtec, yo
-any other complex gimmicky system to add torx and reduce emissions

How many big trucks run gas? Busses? Tanks? Trains? Anything at all that has to run a million-plus miles while being reliable? If there's a downside - they have to be driven. Short commuters shouldn't drive diesel. Lots of inactivity shouldn't have a diesel. For anyone else - it's worth a look.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was reading @Betik comment about increasing fuel mileage with proper tire inflation. I realized I had not checked mine since coming out of storage. I aired mine up to about 4 pounds short of max and went an hour to the lake. Country driving... Some stop and go.. Small hills. (Had to stop and drop dogs off for a play date o_O). Got home doing 19 mpg pulling the trailer with a good bit of stop and go. Can not complain about that! and as @veedubtek says, diesel =effortless towing!

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Short commuters shouldn't drive diesel. Lots of inactivity shouldn't have a diesel. For anyone else - it's worth a look.
@veedubtek I wrestle with this off and on... I have a 120 mile daily commute (round trip), nearly all Hwy speed. Currently have an '02 1/2 ton Ram with a big V8 (gets about 12mpg at 70mph) and a '12 Nissan Maxima that gets about 27mpg. I've been thinking about upgrading to a 3/4 ton truck. And, would be easier to do if it could be a daily driver, but I just hate to put 30k miles a year on an expensive truck if it needs replacing as often as my other commuter vehicles. Can 3/4 ton trucks really get comparable mpg to my Maxima? My Ram is essentially a seasonal vehicle. Pulls the boat, hauls water for the pool, misc weekend projects. Usually fewer than 5,000 miles in a year on it. As an '02, it's only got 80,000 miles on it.

Admittedly, I'm not much of a car guy and don't feel like I can really speak knowledgeably on the subject.

Tks for any insight!

Edit: I say "easier" to change above, meaning that I would swap 2 vehicles for 1, if that wasn't obvious. :)

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Nah, lol. Mine dam sure didn't anyway. My eco would get 32, but that's 1/2 ton.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My py will get 25 on the highway without towing... But I don't have the def can, or are the regen cycle and now no cat converter and no egr... Lol. And a small little muffler.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I guess anything like 23+ would be acceptable to me. The other question was really with the reliability and mileage? Will 3/4 ton "consumer" trucks really run 500K+ miles? I'm just thinking that a truck would cost twice (at least) as much as my next commuter car... so I would want it to last at least twice as long. So, that would be 12+ years hopefully and at my current rate would equal about 360K miles. And, I generally buy used vehicles (1-2yrs)... so this hypothetical truck would likely already start with some miles on it.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My coworker has 600k on his dirtymax. My Cummins had 6k when I sold it, heh. Lots more knowledgeable truck guys on here probably, but I'd bet ditch the emissions and drive it like you do, and it'll probably go forever.

Personally, I'd buy a Jetta/Golf TDI and a 5 yr old 3/4 ton and have the best of both worlds .

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
can you get away to comuting with a Prius ? Ours is 22 month old and it has 53,000 miles on it. About 10,000 of thoese miles is towing jet skis and motorcycles.
With current fuel prices it will take us 80,000 miles to pay off the premium of having a Prius vs. hi da civic, but sure as hell it feels good go dallas to Orlando round trip for $200

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length