• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Fixed the rotating key switch issue. 2007 - 2009 SX230, AR230, 232 Limited

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am not sure how many Yamaha models this issue exists on but on the 2007 to 2009 230/232 models the key switches are secured by a plastic nut that tightens to a curved surface. This results in slipping threads when fully tightened eventually leading to the key spinning during a start.

I 3D printed washers to separate the plastic nut from the curved surface and a locking block for the back side to securely hold the two key switches preventing them from spinning even if the nut is loose.

4C940042-34BD-4DF9-8FA8-D1BE8147596C.jpegBF041820-F11C-4207-9B7F-7205F6A09149.jpegD782FFAA-63AE-4146-8402-EB5BC6BD0FE9.jpeg57C68B9B-9AAD-4DDA-ACAC-7C3A78BC5C8E.jpeg32666251-CCDE-4345-8A87-DAF954EB04DB.jpeg

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
YES !!!!

I was just thinking i need somebody to figure out what size that locking nut is so i can but two and fix mine

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
YES !!!!

I was just thinking i need somebody to figure out what size that locking nut is so i can but two and fix mine
Scott, are your nuts damaged? I thought my nuts were damaged but it was just the curved surface deforming them.

I printed a test nut but have not yet determined the correct pitch. 20mm x 1mm was not right.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In my excitement to get something fixed i ran out to the boat to confirm the and...
Broke one of the threaded shafts off

20200715_205813.jpg

The nuts are both good, i could have sworn i saw them swell and split when i tried to tighten them

Now i have to figure out how to reinstall those two small silver key pins, one is still in
20200715_205841.jpg

911 @Beachbummer. @Betik

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
This drove me crazy the first few years but I didn’t want to mess with it. I’ve gotten used to it but now this makes me want to fix it. Thanks a lot. :D

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
cr@p. No idea, but I would guess these pieces are pins to the key? If you get the key to turn and they line up it means you put them back correctly??

Worst case perhaps an after market key might not set you back $300? Check #5 on the diagram. The key has 3 positions and each does something with the circuit. Maybe a double throw double pole switch, plus a momentary button gets you on the water this weekend.

Dual Pole Dual Throw...
Switch Off = White to Black
Switch On = Purple to R/B
Momentary button = Br to Switch on R/B above

Not sure of the color mappings on R/B. I think Br is brown. R/B maybe Red/Black?

Best of Luck!!! Minor inconvenience, I know you can make it work for the weekend!!!

Attachments

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Abd the remaining key pin just popped out along with it's TINY spring, don't even know where the other two tiny springs are

20200715_211548.jpg

Looks like I'll be hoping for an after market solution, i don't see this one going back together (also the threaded shaft looks like it was molded to the switch)

Can someone please give me Dustin's contact info so i can get instructions on getting the boat started
@AnnapolisCatt :rolleyes:

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Scottintexas, do you think you can reinstall the metal pieces then glue the plastic back together?

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The metal only prevents the key from turning I think. The keyway will turn without it, I'm pretty certain. (Just will turn with any key)

This seemed inexpensive compared to the options.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Time for a single key and two start buttons?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
YES !!! Bummer is correct, the key does work without the pins in, only downside would be any key could start it

What do you recommend to glue the shaft back on, i don't want to screw this part up with betik in seclusion i won't have anyone to blame it on (honestly at least)

AnnapolisCatt

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SE
Boat Length
Abd the remaining key pin just popped out along with it's TINY spring, don't even know where the other two tiny springs are

View attachment 126095

Looks like I'll be hoping for an after market solution, i don't see this one going back together (also the threaded shaft looks like it was molded to the switch)

Can someone please give me Dustin's contact info so i can get instructions on getting the boat started
@AnnapolisCatt :rolleyes:
🤣🤣🤣 If you find him let me know!!!

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Scott I am all purpose and situation scape goat. I am create through telepathy. :)

I am not well versed at the key system. But if Gracie needs to be in the water, I can drop the ski tomorrow.

My solution will be a a couple of switches. Kind like a push start without the need for the key.
Then I will would installed an kill switch on hard to find location that I will be only one to know.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Scottintexas, I am having good luck with Loctite Super Glue Precision Pen for glueing plastic. I would clean with isopropyl first and allow to dry for 24 hours before reassembly.

Having the key switches on my desk I decided to check continuity.

What I found was

Switch Off - no continuity
Switch On - Red to Red Yellow
Switch Start - Red to Red Yellow and Brown

Red being the largest gauge wire I am guessing it is positive from the boat but that could be checked at the boat wiring harness.

If you are able to glue the switch back together I still would replace it to avoid failure on the water.

However it would be fun to connect the good key switch to a NO DPST relay with both pairs of red and red yellow connected to the relay then connect each red and brown pair to a push button.

If you need to start her by twisting wires together give me a call.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Scottintexas, I am having good luck with Loctite Super Glue Precision Pen for glueing plastic. I would clean with isopropyl first and allow to dry for 24 hours before reassembly.

Having the key switches on my desk I decided to check continuity.

What I found was

Switch Off - no continuity
Switch On - Red to Red Yellow
Switch Start - Red to Red Yellow and Brown

Red being the largest gauge wire I am guessing it is positive from the boat but that could be checked at the boat wiring harness.

If you are able to glue the switch back together I still would replace it to avoid failure on the water.

However it would be fun to connect the good key switch to a NO DPST relay with both pairs of red and red yellow connected to the relay then connect each red and brown pair to a push button.

If you need to start her by twisting wires together give me a call.
Might want to be a little careful publishing this info in the open. Unscrupulous types could use this info in, uh, unscrupulous ways.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Might want to be a little careful publishing this info in the open. Unscrupulous types could use this info in, uh, unscrupulous ways.
I am torn. It is useful information and would only take a few minutes to figure it out on most boats. If we want to secure our boats we really need a kill switch somewhere.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Success !!!
This is a great mod to fix that annoying problem.

I super glued that threaded shaft back onto the ignition and left the keyways out.

I did have to remove the bezel from the dash to trim about 1/4 " from the dash on the port side so the blue holder will sit flush but the bezel covers it so you don't see it

Can't wait to try it on the water

Thanks @Bruce

20200719_195028.jpg