• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Florida Keys trip planning

bthessel

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So a group of friends from Ohio and Kentucky want to plan a trip to the keys for next year (hopefully all the chaos is behind us) would be 3-4 boats and another 3-4 jet skis. None of us have boated offshore in the past, only in lakes. Recommendations on where we should leave from/route? Any gotchas we would need to be aware of? We were planning for a week round trip.

Yamahaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
following... i would recommend a sun pass for tolls on the turnpike. then you don't have to stop for all the tolls

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
buy good charts and understand the channel markers and tides, with the coral it's easy to go from 20ft to 1ft instantly,

Looe key was worth visiting,

Danielmailin

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Plan to stay in marathon, you can find multiple rental homes with docks and lifts to meet your needs. You will be near reefs to snorkel/scuba dive, fishing, 7 mile bridge. I suggest that you get a GPS/depth finder if you do not have one as there are many shallow areas.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Marathon is middle you can run north to key largo or south to key west on tank of gas and fill up then head back if need.

Bunch of options just depends on what you want to do.

Bay side will have more islands with beaches. Snorkeling and fishing along ledge happens on Atlantic side.

Skipjack resort and marina was pretty nice has canal ramp to use and can store trailers there also.

Not far from Sombrero reef I think it was once go out of channel also marina with gas pretty close.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Definitely interested in this as well. Turn 40 next year and wife wants to do a "big" trip. She'll likely be preggo and I highly recommend against it, but it would be a trip of a lifetime for me.

canefan75

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
We just came back from Islamorada and stayed at the Islander Resort. You can get wet slips at the Post Card Inn or the Pelican Inn. Plan ahead if you want those wet slips. You should also be prepared for the sargassum weeds. They will slow you down and require some clean outs.

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
VRBO is your best option.
Some houses will have lift or larger dock for boats and skis

Marathon is great as you can go North to John Pennekamp and see Christ of Abyss(see avatar)
Then South to Boca Chica and 7 mile bridge. Just saw on Shark week Hammerheads swim along concrete pillars.

Got to eat at Burdines and get fuel.

Ocean side isn't bad and if it get rough take Bay side and make sure you go through Toilet Seats channel.

You could go further South but I stayed in upper keys when I had skis. The skis are not allowed bay side due to restrictions iirc. Its regulated wildlife and only boats are allowed in area.

If I get my boat working I'd show you around.

Attachments

bthessel

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Marathon is middle you can run north to key largo or south to key west on tank of gas and fill up then head back if need.

Bunch of options just depends on what you want to do.

Bay side will have more islands with beaches. Snorkeling and fishing along ledge happens on Atlantic side.

Skipjack resort and marina was pretty nice has canal ramp to use and can store trailers there also.

Not far from Sombrero reef I think it was once go out of channel also marina with gas pretty close.
Skipjack resort looks great. Wives are probably flying down to Ft. Lauderdale and the husbands are driving the boats down and picking them up there. A couple more hours to get to Marathon and be able to drop the boats in. Can go out of there each day maybe one night spend the night in key west if you can get overnight slips and hotel rooms.

Garrett C

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@bthessel as a heads up if you are going to launch or stay in Key West you can enjoy jet skis around the island of Key West, but they are not allowed at any of the sand bars for some reason. Our Jet Boats are fine to go anywhere you want to explore, but FWC or the Sheriff will stop and most likely give a citation or a warning since they will see where the skis are registered out of. Hope the planning is going good.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Couple random pictures.

We spent week in key largo, my wife has more pictures somewhere lol.

Picture of boat anchored is North Nest Key.

Caught the fish out along the "ledge" where water goes from 20ft to 100+ relatively quick. Wish I had mask with me that day to jump in water and watch the sharka circling below the bait fish. We could see them from surface they were down about 40ft. In the 20-25ft range were some kings.

I set my father in law up with a bottom rig and he felt like he was on a party boat every time he dropped he had a fish withing 10s of hitting bottom. Mostly grunts of decent size.20201014_112525.jpg20201014_073041.jpg20201012_114130_resized.jpg20201014_083414.jpg20201015_080948.jpg20201014_120132.jpg

leonard delia

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
So a group of friends from Ohio and Kentucky want to plan a trip to the keys for next year (hopefully all the chaos is behind us) would be 3-4 boats and another 3-4 jet skis. None of us have boated offshore in the past, only in lakes. Recommendations on where we should leave from/route? Any gotchas we would need to be aware of? We were planning for a week round trip.
I live here and can get you to a couple of islands, just let me know

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Pick a part of the keys you want to visit 1st.. northern, middle, southern.

Key west has night life if you want that. If you want more laid back and relaxed in evenings middle or north keys both have nice places to stay, but restaurants as well you can go to on the water and enjoy.

Once you picked that there is more then enough to do for a week in each area.

DStinson

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I live here and can get you to a couple of islands, just let me know
I am heading to the keys with my boat at the beginning of June and after reading about seaweed issues in the past years it has me a little concerned. Do you think there is anything to worry about this year?

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just bon and weave... might have to slow down and let it unclog. It was pretty bad couple years ago when I was down there and had to jump in once.

Garrett C

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am heading to the keys with my boat at the beginning of June and after reading about seaweed issues in the past years it has me a little concerned. Do you think there is anything to worry about this year?
I can speak for the lower keys and the only time I have problems with the seaweed is when I head to a place called boca grande. That is a 16 mile trek west track from Key West which I have done 4 times in the past month and a half and had to clear my jets twice. I have noticed that I have had to stop only in March thru late May, but nothing serious unless I put my daughters swim mat on the back and I have to maneuver around that to clear the jets. If I go to other sandbars that are closer to home, I have never had a problem. Let me know if you have any other questions.

leonard delia

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
trust me i go out every weekend you will be fine

leonard delia

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Pick a part of the keys you want to visit 1st.. northern, middle, southern.

Key west has night life if you want that. If you want more laid back and relaxed in evenings middle or north keys both have nice places to stay, but restaurants as well you can go to on the water and enjoy.

Once you picked that there is more then enough to do for a week in each area.
stay in KW you will love it, restaurants to eat at

BREAKFAST:
TWO FRIENDS
MOONDOG
LA GRIGNOTE
FRENCHIES
SOUTHERN MOST BCH CAFE

LUNCH
SALUTE
SCHOONER WHARF
DANTES
HALF SHELL RAW BAR

DINNER
BAGATELLE
BRUSCHETTA-ITALIAN
LOUI BACK YARD
NINE ONE FIVE
MARTINS
OPAL SUNSET LATTITUDES

DESERT
BETTER THAN SEX

leonard delia

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
MARVIN KEY
SNIPES KEY
TARPON BELLY
PICNIC ISLAND

DStinson

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I can speak for the lower keys and the only time I have problems with the seaweed is when I head to a place called boca grande. That is a 16 mile trek west track from Key West which I have done 4 times in the past month and a half and had to clear my jets twice. I have noticed that I have had to stop only in March thru late May, but nothing serious unless I put my daughters swim mat on the back and I have to maneuver around that to clear the jets. If I go to other sandbars that are closer to home, I have never had a problem. Let me know if you have any other questions.
We are staying at Key Colony Beach. If you know any good fishing spots or places to hangout in that area or fishing tips then it would be appreciated.