• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Ford Maverick Not Sure For Towing

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I was typing this until i realized it had already been said LOL

some people clearly don't get the purpose of this thread ;)

safe to say we all see the reason for this vehicle. Its got itself a market for sure. However, just because we understand its market and uses, doesnt mean we cant rip it apart for the things we dont like.
Your ripping it for reasons it's not meant for. It's like complaining a Prius is slow. :rolleyes:

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
2019+ have brakes. Not sure there are many vehicles rated to tow a 3000lb trailer without. Most states require brakes on trailers over 1500 lb. Probably why 2019s now have brakes.
I've found most states are 3,500lb lower limit on trailer brakes. Same with tow vehicles. Both my Sierra, my Q7, and my wifes Traverse had that 3,500lb limit as the max without brakes.

You're right though, it's most likely why all the '19+ have brakes. I scaled at 3,150 this spring. Just a shade under the limit, but close enough gear can make the difference in being over or now.

CaTiRo

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My first truck was a Chevy S10 and now I drive a Ford F250. There were a ton of people who were happy with their "mini" trucks back in the day and I'm sure the Maverick will have a similar market.

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I’m sure they will sell a ton of these things. And for the people that are simply looking for a cheap pick up to run back and forth to Home Cheapo and Blowes - it’ll work out fine.
Of course I don’t want 1.
You also have Hyundai working on a truck, VW designing a Jetta based truck, and Subaru coming out with a new Baja.

Last edited:

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Your ripping it for reasons it's not meant for. It's like complaining a Prius is slow. :rolleyes:
Speak of the devil! Snapped this photo near Milwaukee last weekend. Appreciate the driver's humor!
Screenshot_20210711-153832_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20210711-153832_Gallery.jpg

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I think the maverick serves the purpose of someone who shoots around town, might need to throw a few loads of mulch in the bed during the spring, gets groceries etc. It can also do some light towing all while getting really good gas milage.

Not a vehicle I would be interested in, but for those in that market...

Seems similar to a ranger, but the ranger is a little more off-roadish?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My first truck was a Chevy S10 and now I drive a Ford F250. There were a ton of people who were happy with their "mini" trucks back in the day and I'm sure the Maverick will have a similar market.
Towed my first boat home 4hrs with an S10. It was a good truck overall and had plenty of power/chassis/brakes to handle the load. Not enough radiator though, despite being rated at 5,200lb towing.

1626273913016.png

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
it reminds me of a Ford Explorer sport trac (truck), except the explorer could tow at least 5k lbs. I’m pretty sure my 06 Honda Ridgeline can tow more than 4K lbs.
DE866780-E901-4DE7-9221-1ECC29B01E7F.png
96DC3048-7B19-4BC5-B10B-CCE85270B795.png
if if was in the market I would go for the, used, small truck with the highest tow rating, preferably one with a hard tonneau cover since what I’ve found is that many people use the bed of trucks parked in the street as an ad how garbage can.

actually I am in the market and found, as expected, Covid pricing premiums still apply. still I’d be surprised if anyone pays the asking price for this used sport trac.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
According to this Motortrend article, the new the Maverick is about the size of the old Ranger, and smaller than the new, larger, Ranger.

Not a truck for me, but I think they may have hit a home run for the market segment.

Jim

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This whole thread reminds me of the release of the 190 series Yamaha boats. At that time, 90% of us owned a 20' or larger boat. So the overwhelming response was what the hell is Yamaha thinking. But we all had to remind ourselves that we (as current owners) were not the target market. But it didn't mean it didn't exist.

So asking in this forum if a Maverick should be used for towing, of course the overwhelming response will be hell no. As none of us could use it to pull our current boat. That doesn't mean the market doesn't exist, just not in this crowd.

Since my first new Pontiac Grand Am in 1995, I have had a receiver hitch on every vehicle since. My tow vehicle grew with my toy sizes. As long as someone knows how to calculate gross vehicle weight in comparison to tow capacity, they can use them and be safe. 4000lb is more than enough for many owners. Again, many pull utility trailers and will never own a 20'+ boat.

I started with a waverunner, which expanded to two, to a Shuttle Craft, to a 20ft SeaDoo X20. And the tow vehicles always had to scale to the load. In fact, we walked away from our first Yamaha due to it's size next to my second Chevy Colorado. It was within tow capacity, but I could not get over how that boat dwarfed my truck.

So yes, it will be a good tow vehicle. And for those that question it due to it's CVT powertrain, or hybrid or electric power plant need to leave these vehicles to those that are early adopters and trust the Ford Warranty. As if they use it as it is rated, Ford should back them up if it cannot perform as rated.

Love them or hate them, Ford is known for quality products (nobody really makes crap anymore) so why would they risk that good name by over rating a new to market vehicle? I would have no issues pulling a couple waverunners, a couple sleds etc with this vehicle. But I don't expect a full electric to take on in our climate as much as a hybrid will. (the reason I tell myself why I am not ordering a GMC Hummer, HA!)

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This came across my feed last night......I'll just leave it here to reinforce @biffdotorg premise of tow anything with anything else :D :D

*edit*
Just noticed someone posted a Panamera towing in the comments on that article.....The internet must love me today or something..... @Evil Sports you taking notes :D :D

Last edited:

Tcw8848

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So, I came here with a similar question. I see a lot of arguing and bashing of the Maverick, but what is the final consensus in terms of a 2.0 ecoboost non-hybrid FWD Maverick with 4k tow package (250 hp and 277lb/ft torque) towing a 19ft sx190? The 2.0 also has a standard 8-speed transmission, not the cvt. (Won’t be going any bigger than 19ft Yamaha with this truck).

In my particular case, it is under 5-6 miles to ramp and flat land with 40mph speed limits. I’m pretty positive it will just do fine for that trip, but I’m mostly asking about launching/retrieving boat.

Would appreciate any additional thoughts, experience, physics lessons. 😀

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I don't think anyone is bashing the Maverick, I just think most of don't think it would be a very good tow vehicle for a Yamaha jetboat.

My personal opinion, is that I would not buy a vehicle with a 4,000 lb tow limit to pull a 19' boat. It is borderline to pull a short distance, and what happens when you want to pull it to a lake in the next county or state? I would suggest a tow vehicle with at least a 5,000 limit for your SX19, as it would make for a much for capable and comfortable tow.

I think it a horrible name, but not a horrible vehicle for its intended use, as a daily run-about. I think Ford will sell a lot of them!

Jim

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
So, I came here with a similar question. I see a lot of arguing and bashing of the Maverick, but what is the final consensus in terms of a 2.0 ecoboost non-hybrid FWD Maverick with 4k tow package (250 hp and 277lb/ft torque) towing a 19ft sx190? The 2.0 also has a standard 8-speed transmission, not the cvt. (Won’t be going any bigger than 19ft Yamaha with this truck).

In my particular case, it is under 5-6 miles to ramp and flat land with 40mph speed limits. I’m pretty positive it will just do fine for that trip, but I’m mostly asking about launching/retrieving boat.

You would be perfectly fine. Upgrade the tires and You would be really good.

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Of course I've never driven one. Based on specs, you will be fine if you aren't loading it up with kids and stuff at the same time. You will have about 600lbs of kids and cargo in the boat and suv combined to stay in spec. Also, drive conservative. Watch your transmission Temps and give more room on the Highway. I pull mine with a minivan just fine. Including trips in the hills of WVa and Kentucky.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I can understand why folks buy a boat and tow with the vehicle they already have, but I don't know why anyone would intentionally buy a marginal tow vehicle for a boat they already own? When you do this it might work out or you find you hate the tow and end up buying another vehicle.

Tcw8848 if you buy this type of vehicle, make sure the specific vehicle you are considering has the tow capacity you think it has. Individual vehicles will had different limits based on the way the individual tow vehicle is optioned. Make sure that run the vehicle specific numbers, you also calculate the payload to make sure it falls within the payload capacity. To do this, you need to know the tongue weight of your trailer/boat.

Jim

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I can understand why folks buy a boat and tow with the vehicle they already have, but I don't know why anyone would intentionally buy a marginal tow vehicle for a boat they already own? When you do this it might work out or you find you hate the tow and end up buying another vehicle.

Tcw8848 if you buy this type of vehicle, make sure the specific vehicle you are considering has the tow capacity you think it has. Individual vehicles will had different limits based on the way the individual tow vehicle is optioned. Make sure that run the vehicle specific numbers, you also calculate the payload to make sure it falls within the payload capacity. To do this, you need to know the tongue weight of your trailer/boat.

Jim
I’m general I agree. The max tow is probably 30k, at the price range just by a used 1500. There are a lot of other factors though that may limit him to a truck this size. (Like the miniature garages and drive ways their building for new homes now)

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Jim
Yes, definitely make sure you have the tow rating of your specific vehicle. For instance, the tow rating of a Chrysler Pacifica with factory tow package is 3600lbs, 360lbs tongue weight. It has a larger radiator than other Pacificas. So if you put a hitch on a normal Pacifica your rating is 2000lbs. Same engine, same tranny. But, don't confuse tow rating with tow experience. The tow rating of a Cherokee is 4500lbs with a smaller engine and smaller wheelbase. Grand Cherokee is 6200 lbs with the same engine and smaller wheelbase than the Pacifica. I would rather tow on the Highway with the Pacifica compared to these "more capable " suvs. A slippery ramp is a different matter, so I have to be careful.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I see 4 door Jeep Wrangles towing some big boats. Don't get me wrong, I love the Wrangler. We were actually considering it when the Admiral turns in her Terrain first part of next year. But I was looking at the Tow Rating on the 4 door of 3,500 lbs. I sit 4,200 on trailer without fuel, gear, etc. So 4,800-4,900 ish. Was hoping to get one or something as a backup tow vehicle just in case. So figured that was a no go on the Wrangler. Saw one recently towing a 240.

Unless I am missing something doesn't seem like a good move to over tow that much. No doubt the Jeeps are amazing, but not rated for it.

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I see 4 door Jeep Wrangles towing some big boats. Don't get me wrong, I love the Wrangler. We were actually considering it when the Admiral turns in her Terrain first part of next year. But I was looking at the Tow Rating on the 4 door of 3,500 lbs. I sit 4,200 on trailer without fuel, gear, etc. So 4,800-4,900 ish. Was hoping to get one or something as a backup tow vehicle just in case. So figured that was a no go on the Wrangler. Saw one recently towing a 240.

Unless I am missing something doesn't seem like a good move to over tow that much. No doubt the Jeeps are amazing, but not rated for it.
I have a 2 door and it's only rated at 2000. The Bronco 2 door is 3500 lbs which is nice, but the 4 door is still only 3500lbs. Definitely, would like one, but it keeps me in my 19 footer so I will have to make a decision in the future.