• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Ford Maverick Not Sure For Towing

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@biffdotorg Agreed, but sooner rather than later they will be towing with them. It is bound to happen. At that price point someone can afford a bigger boat :oops:
Isn't it hard to imagine life without a full sized boat? But yet, there are so many folks that live their lives without ever owning one, and doing things like biking and hiking, or walking their dog every weekend. Such a sad life.

What is hard for me to grasp are those millions of folks living in major cities that don't even own a car, let alone a truck. Hell, all my vehicles have a 2" ball stored in them, or always left in the receiver ready to tow something. I don't have a season, that something is not being connected to something. So I get it. But if the biggest one is 4000lb, they can tow plenty of weekend toys with that, just not a big boat.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Why not just buy a Honda Ridgeline? Basically the same vehicle with a proven motor/tranny.
Came in here to make this comparison. It's a Ridgeline from Ford. Would make a fine daily driver, and handle runs to the local Home and Garden center just fine. Lots of people will get them for the high seating position, truck like appearance, and car like drive.

My AR190 scaled at 3,160lbs this spring. That is a razor thin margin to get a family, a dog, and a boat to the lake and back under the limit. The CVT from Ford is concerning (took them a few years to iron out the DCT in the Focus, I would bet on similar results with the CVT here). CVT's are notoriously poor at handling high torque low speed applications (like yanking a boat out of the water on a steep ramp.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
My guess is no, it is not an adequate tow vehicle for an AR190.

You need to really read the fine print on towing capacities. While it notes up to 4,000 lbs, it also says "based on cargo, vehicle configuration, accessories, and number of passengers." Thus, the towing capacity may actually be less than 4,000 lbs. One would actually have to read the tag on the specific vehicle itself to find the specific towing capacity of any one truck. Any accessories would likely have to be subtractacted from the towing capacity, as well as any stuff actually in the truck (such as tools, cooler, etc,) Then, one would also have to subtract the weight of any passengers. While we are at it, even if the driver weight is included, it likely is set at 180 lbs or some similiar amount. So, if the driver is over the standard weight, that also would have to be subtracted.

Let's talk about trailer brakes. I believe the AR190 has trailer brakes which is good. Depending where one lives, other trailers up to 3,500 may not have trailer brakes and this would be another thing to consider for towing.

In summary, I would say it is not an adequate tow vehicle for a Yamaha boat. On the other hand, it might be an adequate vehicle to pull a pair of jet skis.

I, too, can't get past the re-use of the Maverick name! What the heck were they thinking? 👎

I have to admit I'm surprised to see a new hybrid offering. I think we will see an onslaught of electric vehicles in the next couple of years. We will probably replace my wife's 2007 Jeep with one of these. I course, I will be keeping my 2020 RAM truck.

Jim

p.s. One also needs to keep in mind the payload capacity of the vehicle. Folks often run out of payload capacity before towing capacity, although in this case a 1,500 payload is a respectable figure for a small truck.

Last edited:

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My guess is no, it is not an adequate tow vehicle for an AR190.

You need to really read the fine print on towing capacities. While it notes up to 4,000 lbs, it also says "based on cargo, vehicle configuration, accessories, and number of passengers." Thus, the towing capacity may actually be less than 4,000 lbs. One would actually have to read the tag on the specific vehicle itself to find the specific towing capacity of any one truck. Any accessories would likely have to be subtractacted from the towing capacity, as well as any stuff actually in the truck (such as tools, cooler, etc,) Then, one would also have to subtract the weight of any passengers. While we are at it, even if the driver weight is included, it likely is set at 180 lbs or some similiar amount. So, if the driver is over the standard weight, that also would have to be subtracted.

Let's talk about trailer brakes. I believe the AR190 has trailer brakes which is good. Depending where one lives, other trailers up to 3,500 may not have trailer brakes and this would be another thing to consider for towing.

In summary, I would say it is not an adequate tow vehicle for a Yamaha boat. On the other hand, it might be an adequate vehicle to pull a pair of jet skis.

I, too, can't get past the re-use of the Maverick name! What the heck were they thinking? 👎

I have to admit I'm surprised to see a new hybrid offering. I think we will see an onslaught of electric vehicles in the next couple of years. We will probably replace my wife's 2007 Jeep with one of these. I course, I will be keeping my 2020 RAM truck.

Jim

p.s. One also needs to keep in mind the payload capacity of the vehicle. Folks often run out of payload capacity before towing capacity, although in this case a 1,500 payload is a respectable figure for a small truck.
For my vehicle here are the calculations using manufacturer numbers. As you can see I am left with 383 lbs for cargo between the boat and van which is pretty restrictive. Not a problem for us since we have grown children so our passengers always meet us in another vehicle. I have never actually taken it all to a scale. Couldn't do this within factory limits with a family (doesn't mean I haven't been a little over before). Doing the same calcs for the Maverick it comes out to 608 lbs of cargo available while towing an SX190. Not a whole lot, but could be manageable for a family of four.

Max Tow3600
GCWR8600
Curb Wt Full Tank4580
Avail GCWR4020
Me and Wife350
Cargo + Tow Avail3670
SX190 Dry Wt on Trailer3047
Boat full tank240
Total avail Cargo383

Last edited:

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Okay, we have discussed if it is technically feasible to tow a 19' with this tow vehicle.

The next question to ask would be how does it tow? Or in other words, is it a comfortable tow? This part would be very subjective to the operator depending on distance, geography (flat, hilly, mountains), traffic, elevation, etc.. Being subjective is where one could get different answers with the same data. For example, I don't mind doing 50 mph up a mountain with the lights flashing while others may want to maintain 70 mph wherever they drive.

I was looking at a boat, fully loaded with fuel, etc., on a trailer at around 10,000 lbs. This is within the 11,479 lb limit on my 2020 RAM 1500. In the end, I decided I didn't want to tow a boat this heavy, although I honestly didn't want the hassle of launching a larger boat either.

Jim

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Jim_in_Delaware The 190's (at least my 2017 model) do NOT have brakes on the trailers. Have to get to the 195's before brakes are standard. I think the '19+ models might have brakes all around. My '17 scaled at 3,150lbs ready for a day on the lake.

I like the response on subjective results based on how it feels. My Q7 tows FAR different from my previous Sierra. Both have plenty of GVWR to handle the boat and the people/cargo. The Sierra was much more "at ease" than my Q7. That's not to say the Q7 does poorly, it's just different. Steering response, power output and delivery, overall traction, it's all just a little different. The Sierra was slower/more methodical, and generally easier to drive. The Q7 is a bit "twitchy-er" responding to inputs more aggressively, however feels more stable in a cross wind or in emergency maneuvers. The Q7 brakes beat the snot out of the Sierra's despite very similar curb weight between the two. Overall, the subjective result here is that the Sierra was an easier vehicle to live with when it had a trailer behind it.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Literally no one in here gets the purpose of this vehicle. It's meant for someone that wants a truck bed for under 20k. This is basically a real replacement to the old school Ranger. This thing will sell like crazy if they keep the base models coming.

Funny part is a lot of people complain about truck prices, then complain that it's not a real truck when they give you something under 20k.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Literally no one in here gets the purpose of this vehicle. It's meant for someone that wants a truck bed for under 20k. This is basically a real replacement to the old school Ranger. This thing will sell like crazy if they keep the base models coming.

Funny part is a lot of people complain about truck prices, then complain that it's not a real truck when they give you something under 20k.
I'm with you. Lots of use cases outside of this particular focus group :D

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Of course we get the purpose of this vehicle. Not that I would personally buy one for towing. The point is, is that people ARE going to get these vehicles and tow their overweight toys with them. It is inevitable. First someone buys this type of truck, then they go camping and carting around their kayaks, next a boat or some larger camping trailer. You can bet for sure you will see it pulling boats around.

Back in the day I had a Chevy S10 and quickly found out it was worthless for what I wanted to use it for. Bought a Dodge Ram 1500 and things worked out better quickly, but also had the S10 which I couldn't afford both with the new family but that is another story.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I think we all get the purpose of the vehicle. It looks like a decent truck for the money, of course, one would have to see what the out the door prices are not just the base prices.

The OP mentioned towing, however, and that is where the discussion evolved.

Mabye it's because I'm an old fart, but I still think Maverick is a stupid name for a reboot. Ranger and Bronco I get, but for Maverick I think of a cheap four door sedan.

Jim

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Of course we get the purpose of this vehicle. Not that I would personally buy one for towing. The point is, is that people ARE going to get these vehicles and tow their overweight toys with them. It is inevitable. First someone buys this type of truck, then they go camping and carting around their kayaks, next a boat or some larger camping trailer.
It happens with 1500s all the time.... nothing different here. Probably 80% of towing GM trucks are past their limit at some point. The max tow version would be fine for a AR190 to the local ramp and back. Traveling the rockies? It will get it done but it won't be safest thing out there. I am lucky to get up over 45mph to most of the local ramps here.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mabye it's because I'm an old fart, but I still think Maverick is a stupid name for a reboot. Ranger and Bronco I get, but for Maverick I think of a cheap four door sedan.
I guess you can put Hybrid (or electric) on any type of name for any vehicle and it will probably sell good.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It happens with 1500s all the time.... nothing different here.
Agreed. Lots of guys out there with 3.08 gears in a 1500 Silverado towing way over the rated limit. Those are only rated at 4,800lbs or so. But because "I has big truck I can tow all the things" mentality prevails, we see lots of things over the limit.

I see a lot of the same thing with Land Rovers for some reason as well. Owners just think they are non-destructible and hitch whatever they have to the back and head out. No idea on the ratings, but they ALWAYS look overloaded.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Of course we get the purpose of this vehicle. Not that I would personally buy one for towing. The point is, is that people ARE going to get these vehicles and tow their overweight toys with them. It is inevitable. First someone buys this type of truck, then they go camping and carting around their kayaks, next a boat or some larger camping trailer. You can bet for sure you will see it pulling boats around.
It's amazing how ignorant how some truck and suv buyers can be. Not the folks here, but some folks see the maximum advertised numbers and assume they apply to their tow vehicle without a clue that the actual number for their vehicle is tagged to their specific vehicle.

Jim

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I think we all get the purpose of the vehicle...

Jim
I said the same, a friend had a green Maverick in the mid 70's. Pinto and Vega provoke similar thoughts. Sales is directly linked to connotation.

Last edited:

Miitch

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
The OP mentioned towing, however, and that is where the discussion evolved.
I was typing this until i realized it had already been said LOL

some people clearly don't get the purpose of this thread ;)

safe to say we all see the reason for this vehicle. Its got itself a market for sure. However, just because we understand its market and uses, doesnt mean we cant rip it apart for the things we dont like.

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Jim_in_Delaware The 190's (at least my 2017 model) do NOT have brakes on the trailers. Have to get to the 195's before brakes are standard. I think the '19+ models might have brakes all around. My '17 scaled at 3,150lbs ready for a day on the lake.

I like the response on subjective results based on how it feels. My Q7 tows FAR different from my previous Sierra. Both have plenty of GVWR to handle the boat and the people/cargo. The Sierra was much more "at ease" than my Q7. That's not to say the Q7 does poorly, it's just different. Steering response, power output and delivery, overall traction, it's all just a little different. The Sierra was slower/more methodical, and generally easier to drive. The Q7 is a bit "twitchy-er" responding to inputs more aggressively, however feels more stable in a cross wind or in emergency maneuvers. The Q7 brakes beat the snot out of the Sierra's despite very similar curb weight between the two. Overall, the subjective result here is that the Sierra was an easier vehicle to live with when it had a trailer behind it.
2019+ have brakes. Not sure there are many vehicles rated to tow a 3000lb trailer without. Most states require brakes on trailers over 1500 lb. Probably why 2019s now have brakes.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Here's a link to an AAA article on state requirements for trailer brakes. One of the most interesting is Wyoming's, "Every combination of vehicles must have a service braking system that will stop the combination of vehicles within 40 feet from an initial speed of 20 mph on a level, dry, smooth, hard surface."

Of course, anyone thinking about buying a new trailer needs to check with their state's motor vehicle departments as these kinds of lists often have errors.

Jim

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Okay, we have discussed if it is technically feasible to tow a 19' with this tow vehicle.

The next question to ask would be how does it tow? Or in other words, is it a comfortable tow? This part would be very subjective to the operator depending on distance, geography (flat, hilly, mountains), traffic, elevation, etc.. Being subjective is where one could get different answers with the same data. For example, I don't mind doing 50 mph up a mountain with the lights flashing while others may want to maintain 70 mph wherever they drive.

I was looking at a boat, fully loaded with fuel, etc., on a trailer at around 10,000 lbs. This is within the 11,479 lb limit on my 2020 RAM 1500. In the end, I decided I didn't want to tow a boat this heavy, although I honestly didn't want the hassle of launching a larger boat either.

Jim
Totally agree. I spend little of my time towing a boat. So I'm looking for a vehicle that works for my daily life and can safely and legally tow when needed. So I would think a properly equipped maverick could do the job when needed for a certain type of boater. But I believe the towing equipped version loses most of its mileage and cost advantage so I would go with a vehicle which can tow 5000lb.