• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

From bad to worse. Water in the engine.

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So, as I said in my other threads my engine wouldn't start Sunday on the water. We ended up going back no-wake back home. I found out that the starter wires, etc. were worn down and the solenoid was fried. The solenoid should be here tomorrow.

In attempting to install the starter, I took the advice here to remove the spark plugs so I could turn the impellers so the flywheel would line up. The spark plugs were wet.

So, I have an engine that is wet and hasn't run since Sunday. What are my options here? Do I even try to start it and run it on the hose when my part gets here, change the oil, etc.? Just accept that it's going to be a complete rebuild and find a service center (closest is over 90 miles away)? Something in between?

So much for the rest of the season...

Wet with water or wet with fuel ? Where the plugs rusty ? Heavy rust or just a light surface rust ? If they have no rust on the plugs , I whould run it , if it had just slight surface rust , I whould spray wd-40 in the cylinders crank it a couple times put the plugs back in and run it !!!

And after you get it runing change the oil ASAP

Wet with water, and surface rust. Should the impeller turn pretty easily without the spark plugs in? It doesn't turn easily through the cleanout port.

You'll need a wrench to turn it. With a wrench it's not too hard but you'll feel some resistance.

What does your oil look like in the non running motor?

When I first got the boat home, I pulled the dipstick and looked at the oil on it and didn't see any evidence of water so I thought I was OK. I guess that doesn't make sense because since the engine wasn't running, the oil wouldn't be forcibly mixed with the water so it probably wouldn't be milky. Didn't run over 3k RPMs with the running engine all the way back but this still happened. Should I suck out the oil with the oil vac now? Dumb question, but does it matter which way I turn the impeller?

Last edited:
@MOA_Chaser. Where do you suspect the water came from? Do you think you had an incident where you may have ingested water in the air intake or do you think it may be an internal water leak like a head gasket? Before you go too far and start that engine I would consider a compression test if you suspect an internal leak. You don't want to kill a repairable engine. Hope it's not a big issue.

@MOA_Chaser. Where do you suspect the water came from? Do you think you had an incident where you may have ingested water in the air intake or do you think it may be an internal water leak like a head gasket? Before you go too far and start that engine I would consider a compression test if you suspect an internal leak. You don't want to kill a repairable engine. Hope it's not a big issue.

Probably on the ride back on 1 engine....

I've been having intermittent starting issues for a while, no evidence of water. This weekend, the port engine wouldn't start. The solenoid tested bad, and my positive/ground wires were chewed up from being misrouted between the shaft and the protective shield. I've been replacing those this week. But, were quite a ways down the river and limped back upstream on one engine at what I considered no-wake speed... no more than 3k rpms. I feel that is when the water came in. When I disconnected the cooling hoses to get better access to the starter, some water came out.

I found this post from TOS, from txav8r, 3rd from the bottom that makes it sound like it might just be on top of the pistons and since I didn't try to run the engine with the spark plugs in AND water on the pistons, maybe I have hope. http://yamahajetboaters.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=37417&p=313675

Lets back up just a bit...did you flush the motors and let them set for some time? And have you run them at all since you discovered the milky oil? Even just a little? The reason I ask, is this...the way water can get into the engine when you flush it wrong is like this: When the engine isn't running but the water is, then water is flowing into the cooling system and will fill the exhaust section of the plumbing. It is still flowing out through the exhaust but it is backing up faster than it is flowing out...so it can back up into any open exhaust valve and fill the cylinder with water on top of the piston. So when you crank the engine, water won't compress and has nowhere to go after the valves are all closed and something has to give...either a piston rod or valve stem. Personally Wake, you would have to fill that puppy up a bunch to do that I would think. Now, I think what ONAGER is saying is that it might be possible if you flushed with the motor shut down and stored the boat, that water could theoretically seep past the rings and into the crank case. I suppose it is possible but I think unlikely. I think the easy way to find out is to just pull the spark plugs and lanyard and crank it without it starting. If any water remained in the engine, it would spit it out the spark plug holes. If none came out, then you could go one step further to confirm no water had been in the combustion chamber by looking into the cylinders to confirm no rust or contamination. You can do that with a small skinny light on a stick you can get at an auto parts store. Now, if that reveals nothing significant, and you are sure your oil is very milky, water had to get into it from one of two other ways...either through the head of the engine or in the oil tank where the heat exchanger (a radiator that allows water to flow through the coils inside an oil bath to cool the oil). You have seen the head cover during spark plug changes, after you removed the air filter to change plugs, is a cover over the valves and if the gasket between the valve cover and the head has a leak or the cooling line that literally runs through the head cover, and past the gasket into the water passages in the engine. This engine is pretty sophisticated the way it is cooled and that is why the flushing is important because it is possible to fill it with water where water can not be. I don't think you did that. I think it would be unlikely that water sat in your engine long enough to erode the piston rings to get into the crank case enough to do any damage there. But whatever water is there needs to be removed by cranking with the spark plugs removed and the lanyard pulled (so the engine will not try to start and you don't damage the electrical system). If that is of no consequence, and I believe it won't be...then you need to run that engine. But...you also need to get as much of the bad oil out as possible first, then run it, then change the oil again, then run it, then change again. Still...you have not found the culprit for the milky oil yet however. If it was a result of flushing or washing down the engine somehow, then the water from that is gone and won't continue. If you have a leak in the other components I described, then it will. I hope this sheds a little light...and if I am unclear or off in any way guys, jump in here. Wake, if it were me, I would do what I described...if I didn't see an improvement right away after draining as much oil as I could and running it for a little while and then changing again, I would be looking to someone that could diagnose better than myself. Hang in there brother!

The oil level isn't any higher than before... which makes me feel a little better too.

The oil level isn't any higher than before... which makes me feel a little better too.
That's a good sign. I would still pull the spark plugs, pull the lanyard & crank the engine to see if anything comes out of the plug holes. That will also agitate the oil a little so you can recheck the dipstick for signs of water.

What's your opinion on the engine? If I can spin the impeller, get the starter installed and get it started, just let it run on the hose for a good while, change the oil and "if it runs, it runs?"

I'm really hoping I don't need a teardown. Like I said, the nearest Yammi dealer is 90 miles away! Four days of water in the engine... Yikes!

I'm able to turn the crank by hand right behind the engine, so that's good. I can see the tops of the pistons, and when I turned the crank and went back and checked I didn't see any more water. I didn't see any standing water on the pistons.

I believe you were going upstream when you were running at 3k rpm on one engine. If you were driving 5 mph (gps indicated) and the water was flowing 3 mph the the water going through the jet would be going 8 mph. That might be why you have water in that engine.

If it was my boat I would try to dry it out before skipping to a rebuild.

I would try to get the engine dry and with fresh oil as quickly as possible. I would start with spraying WD40 or something similar in the spark plug holes. You could go ahead and change the oil while you wait for the solenoid. You might get some water out that way. Once you get the solenoid I would crank the engine with the spark plugs out to get any water out and circulate the oil. You might want to go ahead and bypass the solenoid to do this now. Then I would start the engine using the flush lines for cooling and let it run for five minutes. Then change the oil. Then run it for a little longer and check the oil. If it looks good run it for a few hours to dry out the engine. If not keep changing the oil until you are confident there is no water in it.

I believe you were going upstream when you were running at 3k rpm on one engine. If you were driving 5 mph (gps indicated) and the water was flowing 3 mph the the water going through the jet would be going 8 mph. That might be why you have water in that engine.

Hindsight... I should have put the downed engine in full forward throttle to keep the bucket open and the water free-flowing through it.

If it was my boat I would try to dry it out before skipping to a rebuild.

I would try to get the engine dry and with fresh oil as quickly as possible. I would start with spraying WD40 or something similar in the spark plug holes. You could go ahead and change the oil while you wait for the solenoid. You might get some water out that way. Once you get the solenoid I would crank the engine with the spark plugs out to get any water out and circulate the oil. You might want to go ahead and bypass the solenoid to do this now. Then I would start the engine using the flush lines for cooling and let it run for five minutes. Then change the oil. Then run it for a little longer and check the oil. If it looks good run it for a few hours to dry out the engine. If not keep changing the oil until you are confident there is no water in it.

That sounds good to me ^

I would follow the WD-40 with a proper lubricant. WD stands for "water displacing" and its main use is as a solvent or rust dissolver. Just a quick spray of engine fogger will do, something like Seafoam's Deep Creep Spray Top Engine Cleaner and Lube will do fine.

Good luck, hope it all comes together.:cool:

Who is your local dealer? Just curious because I lived in Pgh for 30 years and don't know any Yami boat dealers!

Hindsight... I should have put the downed engine in full forward throttle to keep the bucket open and the water free-flowing through it.

That is a great tip for anyone in this situation in the future. Not something that I would have thought of.

Who is your local dealer? Just curious because I lived in Pgh for 30 years and don't know any Yami boat dealers!

He said it was 90 miles away, which would be cleveland powersports or Full performance marine.

Surely there's a dealer closer than The Mistake on the lake! I hope.....

Back