• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

From bad to worse. Water in the engine.

Those are the only 2 dealerships close, i live not to far away.

He said it was 90 miles away, which would be cleveland powersports or Full performance marine.
Yep Full Performance out east. Haven't needed a dealer yet, hope I can avoid it this time

..... Then I would start the engine using the flush lines for cooling and let it run for five minutes. Then change the oil. Then run it for a little longer and check the oil. If it looks good run it for a few hours to dry out the engine. If not keep changing the oil until you are confident there is no water in it.

==> CHANGING THE OIL REPEATEDLY IS YOUR BEST INSURANCE ON INSURING YOUR ENGINE CONTINUES A LONG & USEFUL LIFE.
I personally would do it at least three (3) times, with a little operation each time to INSURE the oil "circulates" throughout your motor.
From all you have written, (and your have certainly, compared to others who write in with problems, told us a whole lot about exactly what you are experiencing) its my humble opinion you should be fine.
IF you do change your oil three (3) times, I would change the oil filters on at least oil changes # 1 and # 3.
Good Luck to you ........ Here's hoping this turns out to be only a small bump in your boating life.

Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

Last edited:
Got lots done over lunch.

I installed the starter and replaced the positive and ground cables leading to it. I also was able to get the black box off of the wall and remove the faulty solenoid. I sprayed WD-40 into the spark plug holes as well.

Hopefully the new solenoid gets delivered early and makes it here today rather than tomorrow. If it doesn't, I'm trying to decide if it would be worth it to me to take off the other black box tonight and swap the solenoids just to (hopefully) run the downed engine, or if it won't make much difference for me to wait until tomorrow. I'm leaning towards waiting because of the extra work involved as well as having to cut the factory green water seal around the one wire on the solenoid.

I sure hope when I get the solenoid that this fixes the ignition issue!

Only my opinion (and I understand you wanna "get started" and get this monkey off your back) .............

But if it was me .......... I'ld go buy a couple steaks, grill something nice for the Bride & me for dinner, ... and then go see a movie.

Then TOMORROW .......... or whenever ..... would I start back on the boat when the new solenoid has arrived.

This is not the time to be "in a hurry."

Good Luck - Mikey Lulejian - Trying to get back out on the water on the water on pretty Lake Oconee, GA

The wire that connects from the starter to the solenoid is the positive wire. I believe that simply connecting it to the positive side of the battery, perhaps using jumper cables to make the connection, would turn the engine over without starting it.

Only my opinion (and I understand you wanna "get started" and get this monkey off your back) .............

But if it was me .......... I'ld go buy a couple steaks, grill something nice for the Bride & me for dinner, ... and then go see a movie.

Then TOMORROW .......... or whenever ..... would I start back on the boat when the new solenoid has arrived.

This is not the time to be "in a hurry."

Good Luck - Mikey Lulejian - Trying to get back out on the water on the water on pretty Lake Oconee, GA

Ah, I know... I just don't like the idea of the water sitting in the engine any longer than needed! I suppose after a few oil changes the water should burn out, but I'd feel better to have some oil splashing around inside the engine sooner rather than later. I'm sitting pretty good now with this repair; add the new solenoid and make a few connections and I should be able to start it on the hose, knock on wood!

I'm also putting in tow valves under the cleanout cover and fixing all the stripped screw holes in the fiberglass at the same time...

The wire that connects from the starter to the solenoid is the positive wire. I believe that simply connecting it to the positive side of the battery, perhaps using jumper cables to make the connection, would turn the engine over without starting it.
That's correct @Bruce. The only thing I might suggest is disconnecting the battery ground until you have the connection made to the starter motor. Then to crank the starter all you need to do is touch the disconnected battery ground wire to the negative battery terminal. That will crank the starter but will not start the engine as the ignition circuit will not be energized.

Solenoid came in the mail today! Gonna see how this works out after work!

And.... The engine started! I'm running it on the hose right now.

rejoicing.gif

It took a little bit to start it up, still hard starting... but it's been through a lot. I'll run it for a while, check the oil, etc., and I guess just run it a few more times this year and see if the hard starting issue was resolved with the new leads and solenoid.

That's good news. Hopefully you're in the clear!!!

I haven't removed any oil yet. I ran it until I had to pick up my kid from football, and it's dark now. I have to go to the office tomorrow so I can't do anything until tomorrow evening. Planning on running it for a while then checking the oil then. I'm just glad I got to circulate oil through the engine.

I'm suprised you had water in you motor. I had a similar incident a couple months back, with the exception that my motor wouldn't run because I sucked up a rope and couldn't remove it. I went about 10mph for about 1 1/2 - 2 hrs. I was not close to the ramp. I have been on the boat many times since then even went on a 4 hr cruise down and back to Daytona fl from Jacksonville.

It
I'm suprised you had water in you motor. I had a similar incident a couple months back, with the exception that my motor wouldn't run because I sucked up a rope and couldn't remove it. I went about 10mph for about 1 1/2 - 2 hrs. I was not close to the ramp. I have been on the boat many times since then even went on a 4 hr cruise down and back to Daytona fl from Jacksonville.
It may have been the position the throttle lever was left in. If the throttle, on the dead engine, is left in neutral or reverse there will be more back pressure on water being forced into the intake forcing water up into the engine. Another factor would be wind which could increase your speed over the water. The safest situation for operating single engine or being towed is to shut or clamp off the water intake hose regardless of speed.

Well I got home from work early, I ran the engine on the hose for 15 minutes and checked the dipstick. The oil looked normal except for two small white "boogers" of water/oil mix. I'm wondering if the wetness on the spark plugs was condensate from the exhaust?

Since my evening is now free and it's started instantly every time, were are taking it to the river for a couple hours to run it like I stole it and I'll change the oil on the water to see what's in it.

Sounds like you have it all taken care of!

Back