• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

FSH 195 Sport VHF radio antenna install

Mike195MA

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
In prepping to do some more fishing further from shore, I knew I needed better range with my VHF radio. I looked all over and couldn't find a detailed post about how some have installed radio antennas on their soft-top towers. So here's what I did... It's not the final install, ultimately I will end up upgrading the board thickness and cleanly routing a beveled edge if I like the way this performs and I'll route the wire through the tower then - for now it'll be zip-tied to the tower.
IMG_3212.jpeg

Supplies:
  1. 1/4" PVC 24"x48" Sheet
  2. 10-24 Stainless Screws (tap and drill bits)
  3. Tram VHF antenna with AIS
  4. White silicone
  5. Screwdrivers, razor knive, tape measure, blah blah blah
First, I removed the canvas and anchor light, then cut the PVC board to about 32" in length. Quickly beveled the edge of the board with my knife to reduce chaffing against the canvas and notched out the back where the rocket launcher welds are.
IMG_3203.jpeg
I moved the anchor light to the left, using the hole already drilled and tapped in the right mounting hole of the light and then drilled and tapped a new one for the left mounting hole. Expanded the original light hole on the right to a 1/4-20 for the antenna and drilled a second hole for the ratchet mount. After the board was now locked in place, I went around and drilled and tapped 4 holes on each side and one on each rear corner, sealing them with caulk as I secured the screws.
IMG_3202.jpeg
I ran a bead of white caulk along the front of the board to help hold it in place - unfortunately I misjudged my board placement by 1/2" and was too far back to confidently screw into the front frame under the board. Let's pray the silicone works well for this test version/template.
IMG_3204.jpeg
The slight curvature of the framing really helped to stiffen up this thin 1/4" board - but it also slightly splays out the antenna and light instead of being completely vertical.
IMG_3205.jpeg
IMG_3211.jpeg
Two things I'm watching for next time I go out...
  1. How noisy will the canvas be, possibly slapping against the PVC while at speed on the water?
  2. Will the air flow through the canvas be impeded by covering up the cut outs in the back of the canvas? Will this make it act more like a parachute, holding air
If effective, I'll plan to expand a larger, thicker board to the front supports to install additional hardware like lighting and eventually radar.

Mike195MA

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I'm looking at the same issue for my FSH 210. I may try to use this thing at the link and mount it to the base of my light pole. Just a thought.

View attachment 204364

VHF Antenna Mount - Amazon
The reason I went this route, is that I didn't trust the strength of the plastic on the base of the light to attach anything to it. Were it a metal base, that would be a different story.

bubbasuwannee

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

bubbasuwannee

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I think you made it harder than it needed to be. You should have enough room on the aft pipe of the ttop to the right of the light mount to install a stainless clamp on antenna mount. Not the best picture, but you can see how mine is mounted. Granted I'm using a lace on canvas top.

IMG_2511(2).jpg

Mike195MA

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I think you made it harder than it needed to be. You should have enough room on the aft pipe of the ttop to the right of the light mount to install a stainless clamp on antenna mount. Not the best picture, but you can see how mine is mounted. Granted I'm using a lace on canvas top.

View attachment 204366
For just a VHF antenna, yes, but my goal is to eventually add on radar and lighting. So this really is just a proof of concept to be able to expand on later. If it was just an antenna, I would have done a bar clamp like yours next to the far right rocket launcher - which I almost gave up and did because of weather demotivating me to even attempt this over the last week.

How do you like the lace canvas top vs the stock canvas? What brand?

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Last edited:

Eric&Miyako

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The reason I went this route, is that I didn't trust the strength of the plastic on the base of the light to attach anything to it. Were it a metal base, that would be a different story.
I understand that... I'm also mounting a t-top box to the front underside of the t-top to route electronics through and for additional secure storage.

bubbasuwannee

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
For just a VHF antenna, yes, but my goal is to eventually add on radar and lighting. So this really is just a proof of concept to be able to expand on later. If it was just an antenna, I would have done a bar clamp like yours next to the far right rocket launcher - which I almost gave up and did because of weather demotivating me to even attempt this over the last week.

How do you like the lace canvas top vs the stock canvas? What brand?
I gotcha, makes sense for your long term goals. I love the lace setup. Got it from G2 outfitters

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Well one thing is for sure, your canvas top will not sag because of rain water. I went the SS clamp on route as well. I can see the benefit of having a rigid platform underneath the canvas to mount things too. I guess it all depends on your future goals. One piece of advise to all you with salt water boats: seal ALL of your t-top mounting screws. Take all the hardware out and bed them in silcone or you will start getting crevice/filliform corrosion around the hardware and will start lifting the powder coat. When the hardware is installed it fractures the powder coat underneath and alows moisture to creep in.

SCSCOTT

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length