• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

FSH Transducer Placement

Ehren

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
So, I just picked up the new Carbon 9 with the TotalScan transducer. I have some ideas on mounting that I need to work out. Basically, i want to get it as far forward to avoid that second step in the hull (before the true transom). In the end, I think it will be another custom aluminum bracket. I also figured out a way to quick mount the unit and some organizers on the top of the console (and still get it in and out of the garage with minimal prep time). Just got all the parts this week so will be working on it this weekend and will post pictures soon. If that doesn't work, going with @Grover70 placement. Was worried about just using adhesive, but he has a good point about the punishment 3 mounting screws take anyway.

Glad to hear you didn't see any turbulence from the intake grate.
@Brian Filas,
have you had a chance to complete your Carbon 9 with TotalScan transducer installation? Are you able to share any pictures as well as any feedback on transducer performance including side scan imaging?

HARY5150

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Update to my FSH transducer placement.

After two misses, I was able to find the sweet spot for my FSH transducer. Through hull - no go
Transom - Lost signal after 20 knots, turbulence from the first step.
Third time...a charm.

Took my beat up Garmin 74dv transducer and a 1" thick board of marine grade polyethylene sheeting.
Traced out the transducer over the sheet and cut it out. Epoxied the marine sheeting to the top of the transducer with a cut out for the cable. Used marine grade contact adhesive/sealant to attach the top portion of the sheet to the aluminum beneath the jet nozzle, adjacent and ahead of the articulated keel. The 1" drop was to really get the transducer into the clean water.
Only one cable holder was needed to be drilled beneath the water line, and that was into the aluminum, so not through the hull. Additional anchors were into a stern-saver and then up above the water line. Protected the transducer cable from accidental hooks with a spiral cable protector. Also protected inside of the engine compartment since it's fire resistant.

The result: A very clean signal at max speed. Protected by the articulated keel and almost centered. No holes through the hull.
Does the Keel block any of the signal?

SoftballBryan

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
That’s basically how i installed mine with side scan. I just screwed straight into the aluminum with self tapping screws which I then converted to bolts later. Have had zero issues with the exception of reverse throwing bubbles at transducer which is unavoidable.

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
That's about where I placed mine only with adhesive and a 1" drop. I placed on cable stay with a screw for extra strength but the transducer hasn't budged.

Corey

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Update to my FSH transducer placement.

After two misses, I was able to find the sweet spot for my FSH transducer. Through hull - no go
Transom - Lost signal after 20 knots, turbulence from the first step.
Third time...a charm.

Took my beat up Garmin 74dv transducer and a 1" thick board of marine grade polyethylene sheeting.
Traced out the transducer over the sheet and cut it out. Epoxied the marine sheeting to the top of the transducer with a cut out for the cable. Used marine grade contact adhesive/sealant to attach the top portion of the sheet to the aluminum beneath the jet nozzle, adjacent and ahead of the articulated keel. The 1" drop was to really get the transducer into the clean water.
Only one cable holder was needed to be drilled beneath the water line, and that was into the aluminum, so not through the hull. Additional anchors were into a stern-saver and then up above the water line. Protected the transducer cable from accidental hooks with a spiral cable protector. Also protected inside of the engine compartment since it's fire resistant.

The result: A very clean signal at max speed. Protected by the articulated keel and almost centered. No holes through the hull.

I see that its been almost a year since this post... I am curious if you still happy with this sweet spot? I am looking to relocate my transducer and like this location that you have...no issues with speedo turbulence? If it still working good for you then I'm going for the same location...thanks

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I see that its been almost a year since this post... I am curious if you still happy with this sweet spot? I am looking to relocate my transducer and like this location that you have...no issues with speedo turbulence? If it still working good for you then I'm going for the same location...thanks
No regrets whatsoever. The tough-as-nails and epoxy seem as strong as they day they cured. I've had clear pics all the way with CHIRP. Very happy it worked as well as I had hoped it would.

DrGamecock

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
@SoftballBryan does your side view work on that placement? I just got a Helix 7 SI and was going to place my transducer in the same place

SoftballBryan

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Yes, my side scan works there... I have no issues other than those caused by bubbles from the jet wash...

Tonkatoy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Here is mine.
I tapped threads into the plate.
Complete transducer. Sidescan, etc. Works great.
I have noticed anything other than interference coming off plane. Didn't see any issues in reverse.

IMG_3734.JPG IMG_3732.JPG

Brian Filas

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Ok, so here is the big reveal. Just spent a full week on the lake and I love this setup. I decided to go with trolling motor mount for several reasons that I mention in the video. 1. I can see the fish and the depth sooner, and 2. Allows me to take everything off so we can ski and beach the boat with nothing to worry about on the stern. Let me know if you guys have any questions or comments. Would love to hear what folks think. I can even turn off the trolling motor but leave it down, switch to the main engine and troll around looking for fish (but I wouldn't run at any significant speed). The setup has its pro's and con's just like any other method, but I have really been happy with this setup. Here is a link to the puck I used on the console: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Transducer-Cable-Cap-Seal-Grommet-Kit-for-Transom-Mount-10-112-Si-Tex-/182154418164. And here is the link to the transducer mount: https://www.transducershieldandsaver.com/product-category/shields/lowranceeagle/. Hope this helps.

SgtBFGunner

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Following Grover70's install of a Totalscan transducer for my Simrad GO9 XSE...
Two 1/2" pices of Starboard stacked, glued and screwed to the top of the totalscan and epoxied to the ride plate.
At wide open throttle readings were pretty good. I expected problems with Sidescan because of the keel. But my sidescan image looked like crap, left right or indiferent. I realize it is set really wide but zoomed in provided nothing either. Wondering if there are settings I have to change. 800mhz, etc. I need buttons!
(The blue is painter's tape I used to protect the transducer from the epoxy. I need to clean that up some more.)
Also... I haven't mounted the cable yet. I have it hanging over the swimdeck until I nail this thing down.

Tyler Hallock

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have mine mounted like this and it works just fine. You will get some wash when going slow and turning but clears out quick and works at 40 mph on mine no problem.

Attachments

SgtBFGunner

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Tinkered with the Simrad out on the water today. Turns out I had Chirpon while trying to do Structurescan on the Totalscan transducer which is apparently a nono.
All appears good now. Glad I didn't chisel the transducer off. Also made top speed of 42.5 at 7300rpm and return was still good...
Now to drill the 1" hole to run the cable through the transom and button her up. Ouch.

brownjjst

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length