• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

FUSION HEAD UNIT / REMOTE

jamesk

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Put in 670 this year.
Believe 770 has touchscreen.
Happy with the unit so far, really like the $50 remotes ( I have 4....little overkill but really nice and easy to use).
My biggest con.....I like to use a USB flash drive......the unit does not like certain song formats or certain files....can't figure out exactly what causes it but the unit locks up in USB mode all the time.
The Infinity unit I had the same issue.
I spoke to fusion about this, they told me a few things but I am still having the same issue with 3 different USB flash drives.
The unit is smaller in size then most units and I had to modify the factory hole and fill some of it back in.
BT works well.
Hated the Infinity unit that came with my boat....was hard to use and had too much "noise" hiss.
Overall...happy with this unit and the way it functions.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This is all great info guys. Now that I see you are looking at the MS-UD670 and not the Apollo, this is closer to price to the 70 line.

I am guessing this just has updated electronics filters blah blah over the 70 series, as it's been around a long time.

The MS-70NSX is the one I am considering as it's XM ready plus the tuner. And at $299 all over. The UD650 at $385 and still Xm ready when tuner is added. I will have to hit up crutchfield or the fusion site to see what I am gaining. I have no need for high power, as this is all going line out to my amp.

What I am curious about is the XM tuner is a very generic device shared by many radio MFG's. And the tuner offered by Amazon, crutchfield etc are generic Sirius XM devices. I am wondering if my current XM tuner on my radio has the same interface? It would be cool if it did, as the XM radio ID is stored in it and not the head unit. I could just keep my subsription running for the summer.

XM sounds silly for these fancy media servers, but honestly, it's the easy button when you have every yahoo in the boat either dictating what should be played, or demanding to be DJ. I pick a genre and let 'er buck. And it's stupid cheap. Under $30/summer. Now when entertaining and someone gets pushy, I let them BT up and play until someone gets sick of their play list and then I go back to Xm.

This is all great info guys. I truly didn't think I would be replacing my head unit. Honestly, other than a slight hiss, the Aquatic AV did just fine for XM and with my Wetsounds Bluetooth adapter, had all the connectivity needed.

Have any of you loaded the IOS app to control the head unit? It looks pretty trick on the Fusion YouTube channel.

Thanks everyone!

tim h

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Trophy
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I'm about ready to start the install process...
FUSION RA70NSX
4 - JL M3 7.7's
2 - Fusion 6"
Fusion SG-DA41400

Not sure what remote yet though...

What guage wire should I use for power/speakers ?
This will be a COLOSSAL IMPROVEMENT over my "CAR STEREO" that came with my boat 5 yrs ago. :winkingthumbsup"

Last edited:

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm about ready to start the install process...
FUSION RA70NSX
4 - JL M3 7.7's
2 - Fusion 6'
Fusion SG-DA41400

Not sure what remote yet though...

What guage wire should I use for power/speakers ?
This will be a COLOSSAL IMPROVEMENT over my "CAR STEREO" that came with my boat 5 yrs ago. :winkingthumbsup"
I suggest you go with jacketed tinned, marine wire for your speakers. 14' gauge should do the trick. I bought all of my wire at www.tinnedmarinewire.com and was quite happy with the outcome!

EDIT: added linky

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@biffdotorg here are pics of the head unit and XX tuner I bought. Sometimes the xm tuner cost is fully fully refunded through Crutchfield. I installed it but have not yet reactivated my xm subscription.
2918B888-4D84-4634-B242-7F57553E8C90.png0AF8CEB5-F394-4F0C-BF59-0A4D387130E3.png

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks Ronnie. That does help.

I looked at my XM tuner. It was out before the more standard DIN connection was adopted by everyone. But my antennae is good. In fact, I have a couple. So I may opt for the cheap tuner without antennae. Crutchfield does have a discount on the bundle now too. Or I skip the Xm for this season, and use my streaming Xm for the rest of this season to see how it goes. If it's a pain, I may add the tuner back in.

I'm really surprised at the wire nest under my helm. As line outs go to the Amp, and the speakers attach there. I can only imagine that the previous owner left all the speakers wires run that are connected to the Aquatic AV harness. As the new JL speakers have all new wire run to them from the amp. I may have to harvest all that copper to make a down payment on the new head unit.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@biffdotorg , it sounds like you already discovers that the stock wiring to the head unit is confusing/terrible. In order to power 8 speakers with a 4 channel head unit yamaha split the signals so that the front channels power the bow and tower speakers whereas the rear channels power the cockpit and swim deck speakers. The only OEM speakers leads is still use are those to the tweeters in the tower and only because I think it would be a hassle to rewire this speakers. I would pass on the xm module this year since the season is already half way over. I’ve accessed xm via my phone before and it works fine, you just won’t be able to change stations from the head unit or remotes.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@biffdotorg , it sounds like you already discovers that the stock wiring to the head unit is confusing/terrible. In order to power 8 speakers with a 4 channel head unit yamaha split the signals so that the front channels power the bow and tower speakers whereas the rear channels power the cockpit and swim deck speakers. The only OEM speakers leads is still use are those to the tweeters in the tower and only because I think it would be a hassle to rewire this speakers. I would pass on the xm module this year since the season is already half way over. I’ve accessed xm via my phone before and it works fine, you just won’t be able to change stations from the head unit or remotes.
I would agree with that. I also see that there are no real "deals" on Fusion products as they use MAP pricing. Even many of the discounts don't apply. So I may stick with crutchfield for their support, or even hit up a local audio dealer to support he locals.

Since my stereo is using the external JL amp, all that wiring coming out of the harness is not even being used from what I know. The speakers should be wired directly to the amp. And the only output used from the head unit, should be line levels to the amp. All that other mess can go away. The wires coming out of the amp to the speakers is all aftermarket, nothing stock. The only thing the tweeters in the tower are used for is for holding the wire in place for future tower speakers. As I don't use those. We have no need for them, and everyone complained about them anyway.

It's probably time to remove the aquatic AV and check all the wiring to be sure. I may come across the power issue not allowing my head unit to power up. And save myself some coin in the works.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If you decide to replace your tower tweeters they are 1” in diameter. I bought alpines to replace the stock speakers. Whatever you do, do not damage, lose or throw away the rubber mounts for the oem tower tweeters, you cannot buy them separately from the stock tweeters and they are priced at over $100 per pair.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If you decide to replace your tower tweeters they are 1” in diameter. I bought alpines to replace the stock speakers. Whatever you do, do not damage, lose or throw away the rubber mounts for the oem tower tweeters, you cannot buy them separately from the stock tweeters and they are priced at over $100 per pair.
Ya, I have no intentions of swapping those speakers. I see no value in them, or even trying to use them. As mentioned, if anything, I would use the pre strung wire for tower speakers. But since our boats have stern speakers, the need has never come up. I value the head room, as our JL's on the stern put out plenty of sound.

So with your advice, I placed an order with Crutchfield yesterday. Map pricing is the same everywhere, and their support is second to none (if I need it) They also shipped 2-day air for free.

I got the RA-70NSX which is the XM capable NMEA 2000 version. So I could get the NMEA2000 remote for the swimdeck. It was spendy, as you said, but they had a $50 price break on it currently. Nobody else did. I ordered the SiriusXM tuner from Amazon, as they had free overnight and was $20 less than Crutchfield. These are generic parts from SXM, as I called about my boat subscription, as the head unit is dead. The gal on chat says she can sell it to me, and they can move my subscription (which this is the only case that they allow that) Or I could buy one and call in the new radio ID.

I love XM so much, as I tout in other threads. And having that nice remote on the swimdeck will allow us to use it even more. As the Aquatic AV worked, but you could see what was playing, but not see what channel you were on. I still want to see what the IOS app for the fusion does, as it looks like you have full control. We may not have needed a remote. But out back, there is no more comfort than knowing your phone is tucked away. But it will be interesting to see how that app follows the apple watch too.

I will have all the hardware tomorrow, I may start ripping the old one out tonight to get ready. I don't think I will need to create any filler panels. As it's a standard single DIN like the old one. And the remote is larger on the stern, with a smaller hole needed.

Wish me luck!

Last edited:

Ramblinwreck

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks for sharing. But I gotta stop reading this stuff. I feel a fever coming on.......... I have the original aquatic av hu, speakers and swim deck remote plus an Infiniti amp and tower speakers. While out this weekend, the stereo would "pop", then brief high pitch whine, and then no sound when set to XM or radio. I'd get a buzzing sound with the itouch plugged in. We like to anchor and listen to music. Wife was bumming so told her we prob needed a new system. But after turning it on and off a few times it started to work again, dadgummit. Still thinking it needs replacing in the off season. Think I'm getting the audio upgrade bug!

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Well, step #1 is done tonight. I pulled the old head unit, swimdeck remote and wet sounds Bluetooth adapter out. No real surprises other than the fiberglass in my arm from taking out the remote through the speaker hole.

I was surprised that the lines to my speakers were tapped into the stereo side of the wiring harness, rather than the chassis side. No issue, as that just means the only wires I have to tap into the harness are the 12v, 12v Acc, Ground and Blue remote wire! CAKE!

All the rest is RCA’s to the JL amp. Then setup the NEMA 2000 network to the swimdeck remote. Theoretically, I should not have to touch the amp, as the settings are all the same, and the RCA’s are line level. WOO WOO!

7B77CAFF-F4A4-49C0-9F0F-AF08DF0C3864.jpeg
85B294E0-F9D7-4DEE-865E-23045D8E83A5.jpeg
65BD4A30-54D0-4D9C-88A2-9A46908BACCF.jpeg

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Does your stern remote work? I’ll but it from you?
Give me till the weekend to be sure the new stereo is working properly. I will get you a package deal on the remote, two receivers, splitter and the handheld remote. I know the swimdeck remote works as it did prior to the head unit bailing. The handheld, you are on your own, as the last time I used it, the volume went to 11. Nobody wants that. But I have no idea which receiver is which. So I would ship you the whole shooting match.

PM me and we can chat.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I also put that line in outlet back on the dash. That was where my Wetsounds bluetooth adapter was installed. But instead of wiring as a line in, I am going to wire it as a line out.

Having a line out on the dash will allow me to connect the Wetsounds A-Link. Which is a wireless audio broadcast system. All I do is toss a Wetsounds A-link fob to my buddy's boat and he connects to his line in. And we are now sharing the same sound stream!

I could have left this plugged in all the time under the helm. But until I get a feel for the range of these units, I will keep it on the dash so I can move it around for reception and charging. And put it away when not in use.