• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Get the STINK out!

JetPowered

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
OK guys, I have the rubber backed berber carpets that came with the boat. The main carpet was always a little stinky, but I have never been able to get the stink out. I have left it in the sun to dry, I have washed down with vinegar and hose pressure (with nozzle). I have had it up to drip dry on the garage with the fan on it. Nothing has completely gotten the stink out. As soon as we hit the water, the odor is back. Additionally I have a bit of the stink in the carpeted compartments but it's nothing compared to the cockpit carpet.

What am I missing? What are you guys using?

I will be trying the car wash pressure washer this afternoon. Should I pretreat with vinegar before?

Pre- treat with a solution of 1 cup vinegar to 2 cups water. Too much vinegar can be smelly in and of itself.

Power wash as you plan to do. Hang carpet to dry in full, hot sun - the key to killing the smell and keeping it gone.

Once dry, sprinkle baking soda over carpet, brush in and vacuum out thoroughly.

Works for me so well that I've only had to do that twice in 12 seasons. :cool:

I have found that it is not so much the carpet that is stinking but the rubber matting underneath. You need to treat the matting. I use 50/50 or 75 water/ 25 vinegar on matting and let dry in the sun.

What you smell is bacteria. You need to kill it! Use a bleach solution and all will be good. Color fast test a couple threads to make sure it won't bleach out the color.

Murf, what do you think is a good bleach dilution ratio to disinfect?

I would start at 10 parts water to 1 part bleach. You'll need to let it sit for 30 minutes before flushing thoroughly.

A good way to mix is in a big garbage can. Then spill it out onto the carpet on your driveway.

Color test first!

What, white carpet isn't a preferred color for a boat? :cool:

While not as effective as bleach as a disinfectant, vinegar does kill bacteria. It's is about 5% acetic acid. It's the acid that kills bacteria.

But, does not kill dangerous bacteria like staphylococcus.

However, bleach is also one of the most harmful disinfectants to human health and has been linked to respiratory problems and birth defects. Bleach may also be hazardous to wildlife and the environment.

I don't like using bleach around the boat for several reasons, one being the damage it can cause to different materials.
Sodium hydroxide, a part of household bleach, is what weakens the fibers if not rinsed completely. This can be neutralized by adding vinegar to the rinse water or washing a second time with no bleach to remove any residue that remains.

Still, over time, and especially exposure to hot sun, material treated with bleach tends to break down faster, and the result is visible with worn, torn, or ripped fabrics. This result stems from both regular and color safe bleaches.

So I figure if I have to use vinegar to neutralize the bleach, I'd just use the vinegar. With great results.

If you have little ones crawling around on the carpet I'd opt for vinegar. Unless your boat has a staph infection. Then use bleach. :eek:

I'd be hesitant on the bleach approach for the reason above, primarily breakdown on the materials.

A lot of folks with carpet pull, dry and hang them every-time they get wet to prevent this from "starting". We were past this point when we took ownership and the stink was embedded. We tried all sorts of approaches; from pressure washing to soaking them in oxyclean or a strong baking soda mix. It worked for a short time or until the next time they get wet.....it ALWAYS came back......

End game: We got seadeck/hydroteak and ditched the carpet.
In addition I installed a fan in my garage to blow thru the boat if its damp at all now when stored after use. works well on the boat..AND primarily on stopping the garage from getting "fuzzy" mold growth everywhere !
upload_2015-7-8_13-15-32.png

The carpet is 7+ years old. The stink may never come out. I bought a set from a member who had left over relatively new set. Made a huge difference. Throw it in a swimming pool and let soak for an hour or so.

The carpet is 7+ years old. The stink may never come out. I bought a set from a member who had left over relatively new set. Made a huge difference. Throw it in a swimming pool and let soak for an hour or so.

That would probably work well too. The chlorine in the water is very dilute and shouldn't harm anything, but I'd recommend a good rinse with fresh water after.

When we first had the "Stink" in the carpet I thought it would never go away and was about to trash it. But after trying a few things and then drying in the hot, hot sun it went away. If I were in a more humid climate I'll bet that I would be doing it more often.
Fortunately it's very hot and dry where the boat is. I'll occasionally sprinkle baking soda on the rug and vacuum it up just to keep things smelling fresh.

I only had a slight smell once last winter (The cover leaked and this was the first time she was not in a dock). Anyway, I got some odor killer stuff (a powder) from West Marine. Between drying, adding the powder and then vacuuming it all up the smell is gone and has no returned. She is now back in her dock and unless the water level drops way down she will remain covered and dry. I do keep odor absorbing tablets in eth boat during the winter as well.

Down here we clean everything with bleach/pool chlorine. Roofs, roads, canvas ....you name it it gets moldy here and needs to be bleached to kill the mold.

Yes, it breaks down fibers but it's either deal with the mold and smell or clean it and enjoy it.

Down here we clean everything with bleach/pool chlorine. Roofs, roads, canvas ....you name it it gets moldy here and needs to be bleached to kill the mold.

Yes, it breaks down fibers but it's either deal with the mold and smell or clean it and enjoy it.
The price you pay for living in Paradise. :rolleyes:

Back