• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

GO Pro Camera

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I don't know about the minimum focal distance but I don't think its adjustable (you can't zoom in anyway) my son mounted it to the front of his snowboard and it took some clear footage of his upper body, he only 4' tall right now. Also, I estimate that I need to be about 20' out to get the entire side of my boat in the frame.

If I had to do it all over again and I wanted to save some money I may go with the jvc addixxion camera since you can get it and the available accessories for under $200. Otherwise the go pro white or silver would do. I'd edit it with youtube's freeware, make as many mounts as I could and would purchase the first gen phantom with built in camera (fc40 is the model).

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I believe Vimeo allows upload of higher quality videos than YouTube
I don't know about that. When I export the video after editing it with gopros free ware it gives me a lot of options regarding video quality including you tube and vimeo optimized as well as 720 and 1080 hd. You tube has always let me upload whatever file format I wanted, so far anyway, but the higher resolution files are tagged hd and they are bigger so they take longer to process, upload and down load.

I'd love to be able to load video directly to this site but understand why it wouldn't be practical to do that as some of them are huge.

FYI - There are advantages of this site over yjb that I'm only now appreciating. For instance, I like that when I post a you tube link here it automatically sets up to play it in a mini screen on the string instead of opening up a separate you tube window. I also like the I can attach several photos at once without having to resize them.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
P3312593.JPG
P3312595.JPG P3312594.JPG

So you guys have inspired me to get my gopro gear together. Here are pics of the box I bought to centralize everything as well as telescoping pole I put together last night. I think the only thing missing are two wasabi batteries which I may order tonight.
So from the top of my head, in addition two the two cameras, I have 3 poles, a chesty mount, head strap mount, the "naked" frame, wifi remote, surf board mounts, tri-pod mounts, side mount, a clamp mount, two floaties and various misc. mounts (e.g. for helmets and flat surfaces).

Attachments

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the picture of the pole mount. That is high on my list of things to get done. The tool box looks like it works great. I found our old Sony Handycam bag and was able to fit all of my stuff in it, but it is tight. I enjoy fishing, I probably have an old tackle box laying around. I might have to dig around and see what I come up with.

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is there an advantage to posting to vimeo v. Youtube? Sometimes I want to post raw footage with the radio playing in the background but as mentioned earlier found that youtube will send me a "possible infringement notice" and in some cases will block my video from being seen.
I really only use YouTube because I am familiar with it. I have tried vimeo once or twice, but keep going back to YouTube because it's easy.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

soggyshoes

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Awesome deals on GoPro Recommended SD cards on Amazon today!

SanDisk Extreme 32GB microSDHC (SDSDQXL-032G) - $25
SanDisk Extreme 64GB microSDXC (SDSDQXL-064G) - $50

The 64g 80mbps card is $50 and the 64g 45mbps card is $65!!!
Thanks @Detonate !
I had just bought the same card for $20 more from Amazon and was able to cancel it and get the one you found.

Also now until April 13 REI ( http://www.rei.com ) has 20% off any single item. That would save$80 off the full GoPro 3+ black edition. Go foe it!

Also, right now Best Buy has some great deals on GoPro accessories including that suction cup.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks guys. I just ordered among other things a 64gb card. I paid $100 for a 32gb card two weeks ago at best buy. They don't do price matching but when I was talking to the rep about this today a customer overheard me and ordered a 64 in stead of buying a 16 there for $54. Ha!

I also ordered the wasabi 2 battery /charger set, some lens covers and a floating handle. Just doing my part to help the economy out.

robbo3

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We picked up the Hero 3 Black at REI using the member 20% off coupon that's out. For anyone interested, the sale is until 4/13, it's good in stores and online, and new members also get the deal.

Now I need to accessorize.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My son and I went snowboarding yesterday and I used the opportunity to change the setting on my gph3 black ed. With the goal of improving the battery and memory life/usage. I reduced from the highest setting to 720 (non "Super"). Although I didn't specifically time how long each battery lasted I think that I got at least 1.5 hours out of each of two batteries when the camera was either In standby or being used over a 6 hour period and both had 1 of 3 bars remaining when I replaced them or turned the camera off for the day.

Also and I didn't look into this at all, when I was playing with the settings I saw one for video up to 120 fps, if this is what I was using initially it explains why I used up the memory and/or battery life so quickly the first time I tried the camera out.

Cory

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I saw someone one time that rigged up a mount on a 3 inch piece of pvc pipe and then slid it over the rope and had a couple of zip ties to hold it about 6 foot in front of the wakeboarder, it hung on the rope and filmed. It was kind of cool but awful jumpy.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Interesting idea, I don't want to think about it too much right now or I may find myself at home depot staring at hardware later today.

On a related note, I saw a video of someone wakeboarding on youtube. The perspective was 6 or so feet from behind and above the person wakeboarding and it was smooth. I wish I could figure out how that footage was taken. The camera wasn't attached to the boarder, nor was the footage taken by someone on another boat I didn't see any other boats in the video. I don't think it was taken by a quad copter but maybe but maintaining the depth/distance between the rider and the copter would be very, very difficult for me if I was in the tow boat (I didn't see anyone with a remote in the cockpit), a little easier if I could see both from either side. My best guess is that they were dragging a tube as well with a guy and a pole mounted camera on it but I didn't see the tube's tow line in the video so the question remains, "How did they do it?"

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
We picked up the Hero 3 Black at REI using the member 20% off coupon that's out. For anyone interested, the sale is until 4/13, it's good in stores and online, and new members also get the deal.

Now I need to accessorize.
For this deal you have to pay the $20 membership fee correct? So if I bought the silver it would only be a $40 discount...

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We went to Gatlinburg, TN for the weekend. We had a ton of fun. My daughter asked if she could wear the GoPro on her head while riding go carts. I haven't had time to process the videos yet, but should post some in the next couple days.

gopro on cart.jpg

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That should be some good footage. Looking forward to it.
My son just went indoor electric carting last week, in retrospect I should have strapped a camera on him.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ronnie, maybe they filmed with a chase jet ski and a pole mount...

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I didn't think about that but it seems plausible, thanks. the jet ski would have to be right behind the wakeborder but as long as the border doesn't lose it at the perfect time to collide with the ski, it's all good.

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Went ziplining with the GoPro this weekend. Using the wireless app really kills the batteries and its pretty easy to turn off accidentally with and iphone, but the advantage of the wireless app is you can see what the heck the camera sees when you are filming with it mounted on something like your head! Hope to go through the footage this week and post up.