• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

GO Pro Camera

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did you buy a gopro telescoping pole or did you make your own?

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am thinking about making a telescoping pole with the tripod mount I bought and a painters pole.

The GorillaPod looks really cool!

It's amazing how many different accessories there are!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I got a gp3 + black edition and a few extras including the fastest 32gb card available. Although I was warned by this thread, I was disappointed to find that at its highest settings battery life for taking continuos video is less than an hour. I burned through two new batteries in under 2 hours and the memory was depleted before that. I used spare batteries and memory from my other gopro to make up the difference.

It looks like I'm going to have to reduce the video and picture capture settings if I want to use this for longer than two hours a day. Hopefully, I don't have to bring it down to the white editions max settings. Given the above the silver edition probably would have been fine for me but for the extra hundred dollars I like having the option to use the highest resolutions currently available on gopros. All told this upgrade with a bare frame, 1 year exchange policy, extra battery and memory card was $650 including tax (the card alone was $100).

Yesterday I bought a cheap painters telescoping pole for $12 at Home Depot. The plan is to modify it for use with the gopro. I already have a 6" and "22 extensions so this will round out the group. Initially I pulled the telescoping gaff (sp?) out of the boat to modify but decided against it.

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ronnie, I remembered seeing a chart for battery life on GoPro's website. Here is the chart for the gp 3+ black. Do you think it is correct?

battery life chart 1.jpg

Last edited:

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Not even close. Like the first member who mentioned it, I had the settings on the camera all the way up, didn't use the wifi remote, nor the smart phone with the gopro app to control the camera (I don't own the LCD attachment), the wifi was never on and I still only got about an hour out of each of two fully charged and new batteries.
I'm still happy with the camera but also still getting used to the idea that I can't easily take continuous video with it at its highest settings.

Another thing I found out was that Adobe changed its consumer licensing model for its video editing software. Instead of just buying a license you have to subscribe to use it on a monthly basis. I have not checked it out in detail yet, hopefully they offer several products with different price points or more traditional licensing models.

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ronnie, I am reading this on my phone so maybe I missed it, but what settings are you shoot at? I am getting close to 2 hours out if a battery shooting 1080 S Wide protuberance with the gopro and wasabi batteries. The other off brand battery I own, not so much.

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

***Edit - Fixed it! Couldn't embed the mobile version from my phone***

...This is a little dive video I made. Have a lot to learn, but was happy for first trip and not being able to see the videos until I got back!

Last edited:

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
That was a great vid Jeff!!! What was the tapping sound in the beginning of the clip?

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That was a great vid Jeff!!! What was the tapping sound in the beginning of the clip?
The taping was someone tapping on a tank with a metal object to draw attention. Probably the dive guide signaling to those near him or someone signaling their partner that they saw a turtle. Sound like that travels a long way underwater!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ronnie, I am reading this on my phone so maybe I missed it, but what settings are you shoot at? I am getting close to 2 hours out if a battery shooting 1080 S Wide protuberance with the gopro and wasabi batteries. The other off brand battery I own, not so much.
Looking at my camera now it's set a 1080S-30Wide, 12MP Wide, Single, 30/1S, .5 sec. I'm not sure what protuberance is but if it is protune (which I'm also unsure of) that is off as well. I'll try turning protune on tomorrow to see if it makes a difference. I'll also buy two wasabi batteries since I was planning to buy two more batteries anyway.

I should probably put all this in a pile to take inventory and possibly stop me from buying more. Also looking at putting together a carrying case for it all as seen in earlier posts on this string.

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
LOL! that is what I get for posting at 3am and not checking auto correct. PROTUNE! Protune is an unfiltered mode that captures a ton of image info but will most likely require post processing. I had to do an amazingly little amount of it on the video I posted here, but I think that would vary depending on filming conditions. I did use up the battery fasted filming at 60fps, but I got way more than an hour out of it.

PedalPirate

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have an older gopro hero 2. It's no where near as nice and the black edition, but we still use it on MTB trips. I can't wait to take it out on the boat this year!

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have an older gopro hero 2. It's no where near as nice and the black edition, but we still use it on MTB trips. I can't wait to take it out on the boat this year!

Great video! Love the Foo!!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
A few stills from my new gopro3+ black edition. It was a little tough to put it in the air for the first time but I got used to it quickly after I remembered that it's the most water tight assembly that I have in the air and it's on an exchange policy.

G0090600.JPG G0090627.JPG

Last edited:

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Wow!! Great shots Ronnie

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Volffas Or anyone else I just bought the suction cup mount. Man that is one nice piece and it has been tested on items up to 150MPH. I put it on the side of the boat and man does it hold! I should have video from it off of the XR tomorrow, as I finally have a buyer!!

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
20140329_073645.jpg

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Volffas Or anyone else I just bought the suction cup mount. Man that is one nice piece and it has been tested on items up to 150MPH. I put it on the side of the boat and man does it hold! I should have video from it off of the XR tomorrow, as I finally have a buyer!!
That was the one accessory I didn't buy.... Guess I will have to get one! Like Ronnie said earlier it's really easy for the accessory purchases to get out of hand, but I can see different applications for all of them.

Your picture of the camera on the side of the boat looks awesome. I see you have the floaty back door on, but my question is did you test it to see if it would still float if the whole suction cup mount fell into the water? I know you said they tested it at 150mph, but I think I would still want to make sure it floated if it fell off and I would probably tie some type of rope to it to keep from losing it at 45mph and not having a clue where it went.

And good luck with the sale of your boat!