• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Golf club transportation help..,

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Need some help from the accessory gurus here.

I'm driving a '17 Audi Q7. Planning multiple golf trips this fall. Will have (4) average size guys, a suitcase a piece, and a golf bag a piece. Need to fit it all in/on my Q7. Other drivers have a Tesla Model 3, Toyota Corolla, and a single cab pickup. We're working towards taking a single car, not renting, and getting all the stuff with us

I already have Thule Aerobars, and like the idea of a cartop pod, but I'm not sure I can get 4 sets in there. 2 maybe 3 ,but likely not 4. Measured my bag this morning, it's 48tall x 13wide x 15deep (inches). The bag itself is only ~36tall, with the other 12 in height being the clubs sticking out. So, if I let the club heads " neat" then I could get by with a 72long x 30wide x 15tall pod. There's a few that fit the bill, but not many and most with those dimensions look absurdly square.

I have a hitch mount cargo rack and dry bag as well. It's 60wide x 21deep. The bag I have is 60x20x48. I could likely get the clubs in there, but then I lose access into the hatch, and the clubs aren't likely to live a comfy and safe life back there.

I don't think I can get them all in the hatch either. It's 45 wide between the fender wells and it opens up a little above that. So I could stack a few in there on top of suitcases, but I'm worried I couldn't get them all and it'll be loud as dammit with the clubs rattling around for a 10-ish hour drive.

Obvious solution is to rent a minivan or Suburban or something similar. That's more cost than we want to take on. Two cars is more logistics than we would prefer as well. Flying is cost prohibitive and we'd have to get a rental then anyway.

Also, wife has told me that this isn't a significant enough issue to justify trading into that fullsize pickup I've been wanting yet either.

Anyone have any other thoughts on how to get 4 guys, clubs, and luggage on a road trip?!?

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was looking at Thule car top boxes, they were $800 to $1,000. Might be cheaper to rent a minivan or SUV. The rooftop box will kill your gas milage too. Your hitch mount rack is probably a better idea, will just have to deal with taking it off when you want to access the hatch. Can you do it while loaded? Unlock/unlatch and then a guy on each side to pull it out?

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Layer your suitcases flat on the bottom, that should get everything above the wheel wells without having to bend your drivers and woods in half to fit. I have a weekly group of 4 that carpool out to the course for our league, and the noise from the golf bags is non-existent, or at least not a single one of us notice. Since you're new to this many bags in your car, you MAY notice some noise because it's unfamiliar, but it's my opinion that it'll quickly fade into the background. We have 2 crew cab trucks, my GX470, and a Dodge Caravan, so at least 2 of those vehicles would show if the noise was problematic.

If your cargo rack is the typical rectangle, and you're concerned about fitting all the clubs, I'd put 2 golf bags on the hitch-mounted cargo rack. If anyone has a hard-sided case for airport usage for your clubs, have them bring that. Hopefully you have 2 guys with those, and I would have those on the cargo rack. I think your rear hatch lifts up, so you just have to clear the bag closest to the bumper, and if need be, you should be able to easily remove that bag if it's needed, pop the hatch, and replace everything when you're done.

Truthfully, with that much in the car, you really shouldn't be needing to access the suitcases until you stop for lodging, so I don't see that being a big issue. One idea is to have everyone pack one DUFFEL bag, like a carry-on for air travel - but you tell them the plan, and this isn't like you're trying to sneak a 70lb bag under your plane seat, you mean it when you say DUFFEL bag. Bare necessities in there, and you likely can combine stuff. I'd even go so far as to tell them YOU will provide the bag, and everything better fit in there. That can go on top of the golf bags in back.

Decent hardside cartop pods are spendy, and the cartop bags aren't confidence-inspiring to me. Once you look at the cost for a pod, you'd be better off renting at that point.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I’d check to see if anyone is renting a large roof top cargo box online but first I would see if anyone is selling the sears branded cargo box. I got one of these for $75 used , it’s still in service 5 years later.IMG_3218.pngIMG_3217.png

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Layer your suitcases flat on the bottom, that should get everything above the wheel wells without having to bend your drivers and woods in half to fit. I have a weekly group of 4 that carpool out to the course for our league, and the noise from the golf bags is non-existent, or at least not a single one of us notice. Since you're new to this many bags in your car, you MAY notice some noise because it's unfamiliar, but it's my opinion that it'll quickly fade into the background. We have 2 crew cab trucks, my GX470, and a Dodge Caravan, so at least 2 of those vehicles would show if the noise was problematic.

If your cargo rack is the typical rectangle, and you're concerned about fitting all the clubs, I'd put 2 golf bags on the hitch-mounted cargo rack. If anyone has a hard-sided case for airport usage for your clubs, have them bring that. Hopefully you have 2 guys with those, and I would have those on the cargo rack. I think your rear hatch lifts up, so you just have to clear the bag closest to the bumper, and if need be, you should be able to easily remove that bag if it's needed, pop the hatch, and replace everything when you're done.

Truthfully, with that much in the car, you really shouldn't be needing to access the suitcases until you stop for lodging, so I don't see that being a big issue. One idea is to have everyone pack one DUFFEL bag, like a carry-on for air travel - but you tell them the plan, and this isn't like you're trying to sneak a 70lb bag under your plane seat, you mean it when you say DUFFEL bag. Bare necessities in there, and you likely can combine stuff. I'd even go so far as to tell them YOU will provide the bag, and everything better fit in there. That can go on top of the golf bags in back.

Decent hardside cartop pods are spendy, and the cartop bags aren't confidence-inspiring to me. Once you look at the cost for a pod, you'd be better off renting at that point.
I appreciate this. Lots of good ideas here.

I'm Ok with the cost of the cartop pod. I know they're expensive, however we're looking at (3) trips with the golf guys, a trip to the gulf with the family, and a trip to the coast with another family. All within the next 9-10mo. So it'll be a multi-use tool (if we get one). When we did the gulf last fall we had 2 adults and 2 kids for a week and the car was PACKED with stuff. We'll be taking a mother-in-law on one trip, and a father-in-law on another. So that 3rd row will have to be 1/2 up for those two trips, PLUS the added luggage/crap they're bring along with them. This is why I was kind of leaning this direction. You're exactly right though, those pods are super expensive, and I'm not 100% certain they're the right shape to get (4) sets of clubs in there. After reading your post though, I might only have to get 2 or 3 sets in the pod and once set in the hatch on top of suitcases. So that might still get me where I need to go.

I really dislike the rear cargo carrier idea in general. It feels precarious, blocks parking sensors, makes hatch access a PIA, and I have to find somewhere to store it while we're there and it's off the car. I'm not sure if any of the guys have a hard case. I'm confident in the dry big I have (it's a rooftop unit with straps, heavy stitching and good thick material), but that position on the car is pretty vulnerable to weather, dirt, accidents, theft, etc. Just doesn't give me the warm fuzzy I would like. You are right, we don't need access to the hatch while travelling to the destination, I was more thinking about access to hatch once we were there. I could remove the tray, but then I have to find a place to keep it. Guessing the hotels wouldn't like it in the room, but I've done worse and got away with it (rebuilt a transmission overnight in a hotel bathtub once).

It honestly sounds like I need to just get a test fit day setup before we leave. See if I can get 4 pieces of small luggage/duffels and 4 bags in the same place and cram it in there and see how it goes. I might be making a mountain from a molehill. Even more when I think about the trips and duration. We're (4) dudes going to golf for (3) days. We're not going for a week, don't need formal wear, or anything special, and can all travel fairly light. Good chance we can just fit all the crap in the hatch, bags and all. I could bring some beach towels for "stuffing" if the noise becomes an issue.

Thanks again for the input.

In other thoughts.....how do you like your GX470? Those have been on my radar for awhile. Best I can tell they're just this side of non-destructible, but ride/drive kinda like a marshmallow.

Bugz

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a '19 Q7. Great vehicle and I use it to haul our AR250. I have had 3 sets in the back, no problem, and room for a few duffle bags. Would folding down the second row, center seat allow more room for the clubs? I think you'd get at least one set laying forward.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
A big rooftop pod will easily fit 4 sets of clubs. Maybe not big obnoxious tour bags but 4 of the normal bags that most people use these days.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In other thoughts.....how do you like your GX470? Those have been on my radar for awhile. Best I can tell they're just this side of non-destructible, but ride/drive kinda like a marshmallow.
It's a glorified 4Runner, but with the indestructible Toyota V8. I absolutely love it, and it's done some light "off-road" work, actually on-ice work. I'm not the typical Lexus owner, I buy them used, and do much of the work on them myself, and I tend to beat the hell out of them.

This is our 4th Lexus. It doesn't ride like the rest (2 LS's, 1 RX). I am not a fan of the V6, in the RX or 4Runner, and won't buy one for towing purposes, but only because I trust their V8. Others have, and love, the 6. Just my personal choice.

The ride is really nice for what it is, but definitely not "marshmallow" as any of the rest, and I think it's due to design. It's not a truck-like ride, but it's not as smooth as the RX was either. It's a body on frame design, and may feel harsh to you, compared to your Q7 - I would test drive one to see if you would be able to deal with the ride comfort.

The mileage is terrible, being full-time 4WD. I try to have the wife take it when it snows, as her LS is RWD. There's never been a situation I couldn't get myself out of, but if you baby your cars more than I do, that may not be a feature you care about, or want.

I buy used, and the next GX will be a 2010-19, depending on cost/mileage. Brand new doesn't interest me, so you would have to investigate those, but unless an LX fell in my lap, I will buy at least one more, and likely 2-3 more, as the wife's car will eventually be replaced with one.

Mine is an '05, and I have the air suspension in it, but it's not worth looking for that with the newer models, to me. If you buy new, you may want it, but the cost and complexity isn't a good deal in my head. The base model is more than enough, and unless you want/need something only available in the step-up versions, you'll be well served with the base.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
4 men? Ditch the suitcases. Use backpacks or small duffles. Put the 4 sets of clubs in the back and throw the backpacks on top.

https://solgaard.co/products/lifepack-endeavor-backpack-with-closet?variant=41611354276013 This is the backpack I use. I can fit 5 days of clothes in it without it being expanded.
Apologies for not looking at this sooner. Wife and I have some travels coming up this year and next, and I travel for work quite a bit so I made a circle back. Aside from the $265 price tag, that backpack looks pretty awesome. I could easily see that covering a full weekend of golf clothes for me, and looks super small compared to a hard sided carry on suitcase style bag.

Biggest issue I have is that when I travel for work I tend to have to take steel toed boots and hard hat with me. I wear a size 13, so they aren't small, and I've yet to find a way to make boots, hat, and clothes fit into a single carry on sized piece of luggage. Not sure a bag like this will help me much either.

In terms of the golf trip.....well....we're down to 3 guys for the weekend now. So space is a non-issue. If it gets tight (which I doubt it will), I can lay down one of the 2nd row seats and we'll be in fine shape.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Apologies for not looking at this sooner. Wife and I have some travels coming up this year and next, and I travel for work quite a bit so I made a circle back. Aside from the $265 price tag, that backpack looks pretty awesome. I could easily see that covering a full weekend of golf clothes for me, and looks super small compared to a hard sided carry on suitcase style bag.

Biggest issue I have is that when I travel for work I tend to have to take steel toed boots and hard hat with me. I wear a size 13, so they aren't small, and I've yet to find a way to make boots, hat, and clothes fit into a single carry on sized piece of luggage. Not sure a bag like this will help me much either.

In terms of the golf trip.....well....we're down to 3 guys for the weekend now. So space is a non-issue. If it gets tight (which I doubt it will), I can lay down one of the 2nd row seats and we'll be in fine shape.
can’t help on the gear issue, but that does go 20% off pretty often

ZippyBoater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Have you considered shipping your clubs to the hotel? It starts at $40 and goes up from there. Might be easier that packing a car.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Have you considered shipping your clubs to the hotel? It starts at $40 and goes up from there. Might be easier that packing a car.
We thought about that. We're headed to a condo though, so not sure that would work for us.

Chrisbert

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
ShipSticks. I just used them for a trip to Pawleys Island, SC and it was flawless. If you have adjustable heads on your "woods", remove them and pack them separately. Get a padded bag and one of the inserts to create space for the top of the bag. Wind a towel amongst the irons. They allow up to 42 lbs for the small bag so you can also shove clothes and stuff in there.

Joatmon

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 SE
Boat Length
I have a 2018 Q7 and pack four golf bags in the back with third row down all the time. Tell the guys to pack light and throw their soft sided luggage on top of the clubs. You have side mirrors so stuff everything into all the open spaces in the back like you do for your Christmas trips. There will also be space between the guys in the second row to stack their stuff to the ceiling. I would personally not deal with a hitch receiver platform or up-top carrier. Soft carriers flap in the wind and I've seen hard carriers blow off the top if not secured correctly. Hit em well.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 2018 Q7 and pack four golf bags in the back with third row down all the time. Tell the guys to pack light and throw their soft sided luggage on top of the clubs. You have side mirrors so stuff everything into all the open spaces in the back like you do for your Christmas trips. There will also be space between the guys in the second row to stack their stuff to the ceiling. I would personally not deal with a hitch receiver platform or up-top carrier. Soft carriers flap in the wind and I've seen hard carriers blow off the top if not secured correctly. Hit em well.
We're down to 3 of us now. One guy backed out.

I think this is the path for us now. Just cram all the stuff in the hatch and get after it.

Thanks