• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Good tips for drilling into your gel coat

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I sub to this guy in YouTube and he is a wealth of knowledge. Saw today he put up a good video about how to properly drill holes and use screws in your gel coat and figured I'd share.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Don't you wish Yamaha would watch his video and implement the technique? lol.

And - OMG - wait, what???!!! Did he use 5200 on fiberglass??? :eek::eek::eek:.
Some people here are going to have their heads f@cking explode, they better not watching this.
Seriously - it's in the video - he DID use 3M, the 5-2-0-0.
In a hole.
To embed a screw.
In fiberglass.
Not making this up.
:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

EDIT: Sorry, I couldn't help myself. After getting some ridiculous grief for posting my trim tab install, I think this is hilarious.

--

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
And where is 5200 marine adhesive supposed to be used? On Aluminum boats. Steel boats, wood boats, concrete boats, maybe only on ice and sawdust boats. Must be if not on fiberglass boats.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
For all the audiophiles that like adding speakers when you use a hole saw be carful of the drill bit in the arbor as it penetrates the fiber glass it pulls the circular blade in very abruptly. My recommendation is to pre drill with a regular bit then insert the arbor for the perimeter of the hole saw. I have had the arbor snap as the hole saw perimeter grabbed the surface slightly of angle and jump luckily the speaker grill covered the skip mark.

jjmparsons

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Don't you wish Yamaha would watch his video and implement the technique? lol.

And - OMG - wait, what???!!! Did he use 5200 on fiberglass??? :eek::eek::eek:.
Some people here are going to have their heads f@cking explode, they better not watching this.
Seriously - it's in the video - he DID use 3M, the 5-2-0-0.
In a hole.
To embed a screw.
In fiberglass.
Not making this up.
:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

EDIT: Sorry, I couldn't help myself. After getting some ridiculous grief for posting my trim tab install, I think this is hilarious.

--
I, for one, am appalled!!!! This simply wont do!

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
For all the audiophiles that like adding speakers when you use a hole saw be carful of the drill bit in the arbor as it penetrates the fiber glass it pulls the circular blade in very abruptly. My recommendation is to pre drill with a regular bit then insert the arbor for the perimeter of the hole saw. I have had the arbor snap as the hole saw perimeter grabbed the surface slightly of angle and jump luckily the speaker grill covered the skip mark.
Here’s a tip. Run the drill in reverse if using hole saw bit on something delicate like gel coat, FRP or fiberglass. You’ll have to let the drill work a little harder but it won’t be so violent and less of a chance to crack or splinter gel coat ;). Always use painters tape too.

Last edited: