• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

GPS Installation Tips for a 2014 242 Limited S

242YLS

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Looking to install a GPS on a 2014 242 Limited S.
Any suggestions on Location???

Thank you.

Sal

Welcome aboard Sal!
Do you know what GPS unit you want? Size matters to where you can install it.

Thank you!

Would like to install at least a 7" screen. The helm area looks pretty tight on the 2014 Yam 242 LS to accommodate 7". Trying to determine the most popular location for one on a 242 LS.

I actually just downloaded the Navionics app on my phone. Seemed to work pretty good and was only 10 bucks

I installed the lowrance elite 4. Love it!!! Down scan, gps with way points, fishfinder, water temp, and can do split screen.

20140303_183618.jpg

The dash area is tighter on the 240/242 vs the 230, because they don't have a dedicated depth sounder gauge you can cover up or pull. They changed the dash arrangement too, so with the stereo and switch panels taking up more room, anything you add at gauge level will cover something. I think you have to add above the gauge cluster and I hate that, so for me, smaller appears better, but having an adequate screen size is important. Don't let them fool you, size matters!:winkingthumbsup"

And welcome aboard Sal!

Last edited:
Do you have a pic Mel?

I am really surprised that nobody has cut out the factory dash and made a custom one that will put your GPS system dead center and flush to the surface.

Pic of the 230 or 240? I have don't have a gps in the 240 yet for those reasons...

Here is the 240 dash and a pic from the side to show the whole helm, that is shorter on the 240, but more crowded...
2014-05-28 08.34.12.jpg
2014-05-28 08.34.00.jpg
And here is my install on my previous 230. I made my own mount to side mount so that it would not obscure my vision of any gauge or forward visibility.
DSCN0887.JPG

On Mels pic....Those 4 switches that are to the right of the gauges can easily be relocated and a nice piece of real estate is left wide open for a big GPS display.

The wiring harness is pretty tight @Murf'n'surf , not sure how "easy" it would be, but if your making that big an alteration, what is a harness extension among friends, right?

Spending $1500 on a panel mount chartplotter isn't in my game plan this time around. I am even balking at $500. I have water temp on the boat now, depth, and all I need is a chart, although having sonar and bottom mapping is almost necessary to keep from throwing an anchor where you shouldn't. I saw the Raymarine small touchscreen model on sale yesterday (not today) for $150 off. That brought it down to $699 and it was tempting but still had to have a transducer I think as well as charts. Not sure but tempted...

I am not saying buy a $1500 panel mount display but after moving the switches you can position a GPS in that area so that it doesn't stick up and block your view of look like an add-on. You can move the switches buy simply adding wire with heat shrink butt splices and relocate where you need them.

You may be on to something @Murf'n'surf . I don't like the way the switches are separated now but I won't be doing much about that. You could easily fashion a glass display panel to take the place of that little mat on the dash below the switches/gauges, and mount the switches there with a nice area for a chart plotter of moderate size on that area. But I am really resisting this cost! I may be after you and @Glassman to help figure out how best to match that funky reptile colored dash, or a good contrast to it...that is if I were to add this to my wish list.

If you just moved them that far, you may not need to alter the harness either!

This isn't a 7" model but I wanted a smaller footprint and something I could switch back and forth to my kayak for fishing (and I can power this one with a small Game Camera battery). The Elite 4 DSI is a color GPS/Chartplotter/Down Scan Imaging unit, which is great for checking under the boat before I let people swim. Right now it's priced at $149, and the Elite 5 DSI is on sale for $349 at Academy. The Elite 5 may have additional functionality. I'm actually thinking of upgrading mine to a larger size and just using the smaller unit 100% for yak fishing.image.jpg
Sample image below is from a google search, I've never seen this level of detail but it's pretty amazing.
image.jpg

I used a RAM Mount suction cup to hold mine to the under side of the dash and brought the wires out under the side of the dash cover. My goal was not to drill any holes until I found a location that I really liked. The setup worked so well that I have not moved it. The one thing I really like about it being low is for night boating. Even with the screen turned all the way down there is some glare so it is nice to have it down low.

WP_20130807_001.jpg

I asked this in another forum, but would like to ask again here...

When posting about your plotters/fish finders etc. it would be helpful to know what type of transducer you are using and how you mounted it. I am pondering a DIY install and need to understand the options for drilling into the hull, shooting through the hull, or mounting on the outside of the hull.

Liking the idea of Elite 5DSi...

Thanks! Keep em coming!

Here is mine. Put it in a pool of slow drying epoxy. The type of epoxy is important because you do not want bubbles.

The camera is angled but the transducer is mounted bottom center with the wire just following the steering wires up over the gas tank to the helm. That is the stock through-hull transducer right next to it.

WP_000390.jpg

Back