• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Great experience with KeelShield / Gator Guards and their warranty coverage

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have had the Keelshield (9ft) from Gator Guards installed some time ago. Then, I managed to put a big gouge in it - you can see it in the picture below. Basically, manuevering in strong current and wind on my river, I ended up hitting a concrete ramp that I never used before, also broke one of my vee-vee guides a minute later (it was not my day)... But anyhow, the guard save my a$$ from damage to the keel/hull as there was no visible damage to fiberglass or gelcoat underneath that I could see or feel at the affected spot. It almost is like the guard (Keelshield) popped/exploded at the point of impact, protecting the gelcoat. You can kind of see that in the pic.

Keelshield damage.png

I finally contacted the Gator Guard about a warranty claim last night. Since I could not find any receipts, correspondence, or proof of purchase, I kind of assumed I was screwed as I could just give them my address and phone number along with the picture of the damage.

Here is their response, received from Sue at Gator Guards within few hours of contacting them by email (best warranty claim interaction ever):

"This is absolutely covered under your warranty and we'll get a replacement piece out today. I've attached a copy of our removal instructions so you know how to get the damaged piece off.
Many Thanks for your support and please feel free to contact me if I can be of further service."

Really made my day, thought I would share my experience here. If anyone here is on the fence about KeelShield, I give it a 100% recommendation. Works as advertised and their warranty process could not be any better, I don't think. I am not looking forward to replacing it..., but will be doing it this weekend.

Attachments

• ATT00001.png
    ATT00001.png
    832.4 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I just bought one from Overton's and am just waiting to have time to get to the cabin to put it on. I'm even more glad I spent the money on it now, because, for what they are, they are damned expensive. I'm happy to hear they stand behind their product.

Just to be clear we are talking about the same thing, I am using Keel Shield from Gator Guards: http://www.gator-guards.com/
Many people here use Keel Guard, I have no first hand experience, so can't say anything about that. What I can say is this:
Anything is better than nothing!

I need to get one of these. How long of one did get and how far down did you start it?

Thanks!

I need to get one of these. How long of one did get and how far down did you start it?

Thanks!
My is 9ft long. Probably a bit of an overkill, but I like it, it goes all the way right up to the bow eye (hook).

Thanks for posting @swatski about your experience. I have a Keel Shield too. It's good to know that they stand behind their product so well. Keep us posted on how difficult It is to remove it.

@swatski get ready for a major pita getting that thing off!

@jcyamaharider , couldn't you put a little sugar on that?:)
I know it is going to be brutal, no sugarcoating, hehe. And look what was waiting for me when I got back from work last night - It is totally taunting me.
upload_2016-4-23_3-29-55.png

The whole experience so far pretty awesome though - talk about a company that stands behind its product!

Anybody have any tips for installing mine? I REALLY don't like the idea of taking something abrasive to my shiny smooth hull. I saw somebody post a picture where they used painters tape to leave a nice clean stripe of hull down the center so he wouldn't over-scrape. I will definitely be copying that idea.

Yes, @d_coyne1984 : Don't worry. It is not nearly as bad as you might think. Been there; done that. Yes, do the painters tape. The scuffing it does is not even really enough to see. But even if there is a little gap, you will never, ever be able to see it and you will care even less. Especially when you hit that thing on the beach and your boat is undamaged. :)

nice ....thanks for sharing always good to hear about a company standing by their product. I just added a keel guard to my 242, they are a must MOD in my opinion

Today I finished my KeelShield reinstall. I am very happy, and also pretty tired.
Let's just say, these things really are not designed to come off. Easily. I mean, at all.

I knew it was going to be brutal, and I dragged my feet, I read and reread the removal instructions (uploaded below), they do not tell you it is going to be easy. But, finally went to work on it this weekend, I had perfect weather - warm and dry.

First step, removing the damaged KeelShield was the easiest, actually. It takes two people and a heat gun, but it does eventually come off, and in my case - in one piece. You can see the rip in the middle of it, it got bigger as we were tagging and pulling on it, and you could tell the urethane material was fatigued from the impact. I sure am very glad I had it in place.
upload_2016-5-22_23-42-2.png

The rest of it was just brutal cleanup. And I mean - ten times worse than removing hydroturf. The urethane strip/belt comes off, but the 3M compound/adhesive does not... I initially tired just about every solvent including goof off, pure acetone, brake fluid, you name it - nothing touches it. Nothing.
So, the only thing I was left with was just a slow scrape of small sections after good warm up with the heat gun. Here you can see - the majority of the material is removed on the starboard side of the keel, and I'm working my way down on the port side. That took most of the time, spread over two days. Once that thick stuff comes off, the rest of the glue is semi-amenable to brake fluid, and more slow scrape.
Did I mention slow scrape?
upload_2016-5-22_23-41-45.png

My best friend:
upload_2016-5-22_23-32-33.png

After the clean up, I used the activating fluid/sheets and reinstalled the new KeelShield with no major issues. At 9ft, it was a handful, but I had it warmed up nicely laying in the driveway in the sun, and it went on strait with no issues. I used a roller, and then more roller in sections warmed up gently with the heat gun.
upload_2016-5-22_23-35-26.png

As per Gator-Guards recommendations, I finished it off by running a bead of 100% silicone along all the edges.
upload_2016-5-22_23-36-55.png

Done.

I sure hope will never have to do it again!

--

Attachments

Thanks for the follow-up and I hope I never, ever, never, ever, never need to take mine off. As an added tip to anybody installing one in the near future, having a creeper to be able to slide around on under the boat is a great way to go. It makes the job just that much less painful, especially if installing alone.

I have had the Keelshield (9ft) from Gator Guards installed some time ago. Then, I managed to put a big gouge in it - you can see it in the picture below. Basically, manuevering in strong current and wind on my river, I ended up hitting a concrete ramp that I never used before, also broke one of my vee-vee guides a minute later (it was not my day)... But anyhow, the guard save my a$$ from damage to the keel/hull as there was no visible damage to fiberglass or gelcoat underneath that I could see or feel at the affected spot. It almost is like the guard (Keelshield) popped/exploded at the point of impact, protecting the gelcoat. You can kind of see that in the pic.

View attachment 36051

I finally contacted the Gator Guard about a warranty claim last night. Since I could not find any receipts, correspondence, or proof of purchase, I kind of assumed I was screwed as I could just give them my address and phone number along with the picture of the damage.

Here is their response, received from Sue at Gator Guards within few hours of contacting them by email (best warranty claim interaction ever):

"This is absolutely covered under your warranty and we'll get a replacement piece out today. I've attached a copy of our removal instructions so you know how to get the damaged piece off.
Many Thanks for your support and please feel free to contact me if I can be of further service."

Really made my day, thought I would share my experience here. If anyone here is on the fence about KeelShield, I give it a 100% recommendation. Works as advertised and their warranty process could not be any better, I don't think. I am not looking forward to replacing it..., but will be doing it this weekend.
Trying to see how far back on the V this goes back. I know you don't have the boat anymore but is 9' adequate? It looks like it went back almost to the V protector on the trailer (how close was it to that). Thanks.

Trying to see how far back on the V this goes back. I know you don't have the boat anymore but is 9' adequate? It looks like it went back almost to the V protector on the trailer (how close was it to that). Thanks.
9' is more than adequate. Mine stretched from the bow U-bolt past the trailer protector. Most will only go up to the water line or so in the bow.

--

Finally, installed the new KeelShield today. I wasn't sure if I wanted/needed one in the new boat, but decided it couldn't hurt.
This must be my 4th or 5th and it does get a bit easier each time, mostly by avoiding silly mistakes. Took me maybe 3hrs total this time.
I also run a bead of black silicone to seal the edges.

The key is to do it on a warm day and let the strap sit in direct sunlight to warm up and get pliable while doing the prep. Especially important with a longer KeelShield and the new keeled hull - the rear part needs to be pushed around the keel to adhere properly. I use a heavy duty roller, too.

This one is actually a 9fter, I don't think I would need it any longer.
upload_2017-9-10_20-51-4.png
upload_2017-9-10_20-52-32.png
upload_2017-9-10_20-52-59.png
upload_2017-9-10_20-53-27.png
upload_2017-9-10_20-53-47.png

--

Looks good @swatski ! I have said it once and I will say it again this is the FIRST mod I do to every boat I have had. I have had it save 2 boats now.

So I assume you are up and going again with your boat?

Looks good @swatski ! I have said it once and I will say it again this is the FIRST mod I do to every boat I have had. I have had it save 2 boats now.

So I assume you are up and going again with your boat?
Well, yes I was... for about 48hrs.
Until I found this yesterday morning
F@#$#@%^&*!!!
View attachment 63898

I'm having a rough season... lol.
(not the worst ever, actually, but still pretty rough...)

Is this the largest rock ever sucked into a Yammie.? IDK. This thing is so big, it jammed between the transom plate and the wear ring. I needed to pull the wear ring along the stator/impeller shaft to get it out.

But that was not it (for my adventure)! As I was putzing back to the dock, just few hundred yards, BOOM - I caught something else in the other (strbd) pump!
View attachment 63899

SS band clamp...???!!! WTF???? No idea where it came from, I could not find any place around the strbd pump that would be missing one - so I must have sucked it up from the river...:confused:
The clamp managed to wrap around the impeller and bend the leading edge.

So - two new impellers already ordered, hopefully Babbitt's can ship fast, I don't want it to be the season ending booboo.

--

Holy hell man!!!! You have got to be kidding me. Well if you want some boating time this weekend let me know. We are heading up to Lake Shelbyville and you are more then welcome to hitch a ride.

Back