• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Grounding the horn switch

tpspeier

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The horn on our new (to us) 2008 AR230 didn't work when we bought it a few weeks ago. I purchased and installed the newer Yamaha model horn per this thread: https://jetboaters.net/threads/pre-2016-horn-replacement-banish-the-duck.21549/.

After removing the old horn, I saw that the spade connectors at the horn's location were a little corroded. I replaced the connectors and installed the new horn and it didn't work. I know the issue isn't the horn since I direct connected it to the battery and it worked fine. I suspect the issue is either in the wiring or the switch -- I ran out of time and didn't get a chance to test out the voltages at each point to determine the point of failure.

However, while I was behind the helm I noticed that my horn switch only has two wires connected to it: a line in wire and a horn out wire, and there is a third terminal with no wire attached. In looking at the wiring diagram for the boat, it shows a third connection to ground (presumably the third terminal on my switch).

1633359621555.png

I don't see a dangling ground wire behind the switch panel, so it's not clear to me if the horn switch was ever grounded. Does anyone know if there is some reason why the horn switch wouldn't be grounded?

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Based on previous experiences with horn replacements, there should be a dedicated ground from the horn back to the negative bus or battery, and the positive is routed through the switch for momentary connection as needed to "honk" the horn - the switch closes the circuit momentarily to sound the horn just like a car horn. I think the diagram above is correct as there is a need for a ground line into the switch for backlighting of the switch itself at night - the ground is NOT for the horn circuit, just lighting.

If it doesn't work, I suspect a corrosion issue somewhere else along the wiring - or the grounding line is corroded.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Does the 12vdc accessory outlet on the dash work? It shares a (black) ground wire with the horn. Per the schematic.

tpspeier

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think the diagram above is correct as there is a need for a ground line into the switch for backlighting of the switch itself at night - the ground is NOT for the horn circuit, just lighting.
This makes sense because the switch does not light up unless it's being pressed.

Does the 12vdc accessory outlet on the dash work? It shares a (black) ground wire with the horn. Per the schematic.
A prior owner had replaced the outlet with a USB charger and it works. The ground wire shown in the schematic terminates at the USB charger on the boat -- it doesn't continue on to connect to the horn switch.

If it doesn't work, I suspect a corrosion issue somewhere else along the wiring - or the grounding line is corroded.
This is likely the cause. The old spade connectors were corroded when I removed the old horn. I replaced them but the wire may very well be corroded. I'm away from the boat now so it will be Friday/Saturday before I can make further progress on this. At this point, I'm thinking of just replacing the switch and the wiring just to be done with it. It should be easy enough to replace both of them.

tpspeier

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Replaced the horn switch this weekend and the new horn works.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Glad that worked for you. The horns on these boats has got to be the worst design. I have replaced twice, and have resorted to a handheld horn since it failed most recently. You have inspired me to try again.

tpspeier

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length