• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Had a new Boat cover made and not before time ( Boat Cover Update )

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Scott, what would I expect to see when burning a small piece?
A sample is to be sent for other members to view not to burn anything, It was not a good comment to make regarding burning thing's and i feel it would be a good idea for the relevant member who suggested this to make this quite clear as it appears to be verging on the borders of paranoia, We will be sending a sample to the FBI labs next for DNA tests.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
A sample is to be sent for other members to view not to burn anything, It was not a good comment to make regarding burning thing's and i feel it would be a good idea for the relevant member who suggested this to make this quite clear as it appears to be verging on the borders of paranoia, We will be sending a sample to the FBI labs next for DNA tests.
Geoff, Scott is just suggesting that we burn a few fibers to try to determine if the material is natural or man made which might help in identifying the type of material. If we could identify what the material is there may be a spec sheet that tells us what kind of duty it is intended for. If members could see such a spec sheet it would make their decision to order easier.

Thank you for sending the sample material. I am going to send the first piece to Pearce possibly as soon as today.

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Geoff, Scott is just suggesting that we burn a few fibers to try to determine if the material is natural or man made which might help in identifying the type of material. If we could identify what the material is there may be a spec sheet that tells us what kind of duty it is intended for. If members could see such a spec sheet it would make their decision to order easier.

Thank you for sending the sample material. I am going to send the first piece to Pearce possibly as soon as today.
I don't see any explanation from Scott as to what results are expected and in fact no answer from him to the question you asked of him so how do you come to that conclusion?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Geoff Cooper, I asked

The material has the letters JRN in raised letters on the back side. Does anyone know what this might mean?
To which Scott, whom I know well, does a great job as a forum Administrator and has nothing but the best intentions replied

It appears to be a very open weaved fabric that needs the backing to be air and water tight. You should do a burn test to see if it's cotton or nylon.
and

You only need a few strands to determine its composition by burning it. I am not doubting it's superiority to the OEM cover.
I am hoping Scott can tell me what to look for. But my guess is that cotton will burn cleanly while nylon will melt. This might help us identify what the fabric is which I am certain will be a big question if you begin producing covers which many of us would love to have you do.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Gentlemen,

I've had a busy day and was unable to get updated until now. My intentions are to determine the composition of the cover and not to say anything negative above the fabric or Geoff. I'm truly interested in the composition as it may be better or equal to what we are charged heavily for here in the USA (Sunbrella). Thailand has very similar UV rays and heat as I do here in SW Florida, so any material that lasts there should be worthy.

Bruce, to answer your question about the burn test, you have answered it well already. Cotton will burn out quickly and be carbon like in remains while nylon will smolder and be tacky while hot and create a ball like drop.

My only concerns are the breathability of the fabric. I would suggest multiple vents in a large boat cover.

Lspeedss

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey guys, Im interested in where this ended up. Any updates? Very interesting post.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey guys, Im interested in where this ended up. Any updates? Very interesting post.
@Lspeedss, send me a conversation with your address and I will send you a sample of the material.

Lspeedss

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Pm sent. Thanks @Bruce .
Steve