• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Has anyone seen this wake shaper yet?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Don’t forget the little 19’s!
That was his attempt at humor, lol, I think. But I could be wrong.

the thing is - you can surf ropeless behind a single - stock(ish) - which is a huge bonus for those boats. In fact, @jcyamaharider /@ar240owner guys do not offer a 190/192 wedge as it is not essential with the single pump.

What you would need is a perfectly honed/ported/blueprinted pump (wearing, impeller etc.), tuned for hole shot.

There are some performance mods that work including L13 cone, and a ECU reflash sure helps, too. But those are not essential if your pump is perfectly tuned and gets no/minimal cavitation. You will need a nice OEM impelelr, the aftermarkets (solas, skat) do not work well for that.

Ballast and listing the boat is key, I know from experience a 190 can pull up to 1,800lbs of ballast - more than enough. @jcyamaharider had a video showing him surf behind a 190 ballasted with 750lbs(?).

--

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Best weight distribution I've found in my 192 was a 60/40 split, more weight favoring the surf side to help list the boat some. I haven't had a chance to surf behind my boat with the 1400 lbs but it was certainly much larger and looked to have more power than when I normally use a 750 lb bag but it's all looks until I ride it. I think with a proper board I could surf ropeless behind my boat at 230 lbs with 1400 lbs. My boat did not cavitate unless I pinned the throttle and that's not really necessary for surfing. Maybe different for wake boarding since you want to plane the boat out but I wouldn't know since I don't care to wakeboard.

What I would like to see come out for the singles is something that helps shape the wave better and helps add push. Jet wash isn't really the issue with a single because once you get the boat listed a little and with enough ballast the jet wash flows right into the wave. I would just like to see something shape the wave better and give a better curl with more push. Tall order to ask for a light jet boat but perhaps someone will come out with something.

This is my boat with about a 60/40 distribution of ~1400 lbs. Notice there is no weight over the swim platform. I've found that on my boat if I add a bag on the swim platform yes I can make the wave taller but the pocket is smaller. I'd like to see what another 500 lb bag would look like on the swim platform in addition to where I have them on the seats. My boat wave is more of what you'd call a mellow skim style wave rather than a steep vertical surf style wave.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Found some pics online of the Inland Curl Wake shaped mounted to a Yamaha.

Interesting shape and location to mount it. Will have to cut up my previous shaper and see if this shape and location actually works. Gonna be a pita to install in cold or deep water lol.

IMG_8337.JPG IMG_8338.JPG

inlandcurlwakeshapers

Reaction score
Boat Make
Axis
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My name is Kevin Cook. First post on the forum. I am the guy working on the design in the video. I own Inland Curl. It is still in the developmental stages of course. However, I have had positive feedback from several Yamaha owners now. I'm sure it won't perform as good as the Wake Wedge, but it does improve the surf wave performance of the boat. And its a third of the cost. So it very well may be a viable option for some jet drive owners. I am still waiting to get some good quality pictures and video. I will share results as I get them!

inlandcurlwakeshapers

Reaction score
Boat Make
Axis
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I
Since we purchased our 242 in late October and only took it out twice, I got to play with the ballast and cruise presets, but haven't actually surfed my boat. So I have no first hand experience as to how good or bad the wake is. I feel that I'm going to have to do something to fix it though from all the discussion here. The photos of his device on other boats looks promising, but they aren't twin engine Yamahas.

You guys definitely know more and have a lot more experience about this subject than I do, so I'm going to trust your wisdom here.

I did speak with him last night and he said he found a guy with a Yamaha at Tim's Ford and would be testing it out on a twin engine in April sometime. I volunteered to come up next week for testing, but he didn't seem interested.

I'm going to have to try to surf my boat before I'll be able to purchase a device to fix the wake. Or let the wife try to surf it so she'll want to fix it. I don't think I'll be allowed to spend more money on it right now since "it hasn't even been in the water yet". But when the time comes I'll be giving you a shout @jcyamaharider.
F.M. I apologize if I didn't seem interested. I by all means am interested! Give me another shout if you are in the area and we will get together!

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I

F.M. I apologize if I didn't seem interested. I by all means am interested! Give me another shout if you are in the area and we will get together!
I hope you don't think I meant I was disappointed or upset by saying you weren't interested, I probably should have phrased that differently. I just meant you had a volunteer lined up to help already. You answered all my questions quickly, despite me texting at almost 10pm.

I'm looking forward to hearing how the testing goes. Keep us posted.

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
If we can get a warm weekend with no rain, I'll be hitting you up Kevin Cook for our TF outing to test your newest product. I'd really appreciate some insight you may have on surfing because I've never done it before and it's one of the reasons we bought this boat. Any advice you could provide/demonstrate would be highly appreciated at that time.

inlandcurlwakeshapers

Reaction score
Boat Make
Axis
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I hope you don't think I meant I was disappointed or upset by saying you weren't interested, I probably should have phrased that differently. I just meant you had a volunteer lined up to help already. You answered all my questions quickly, despite me texting at almost 10pm.

I'm looking forward to hearing how the testing goes. Keep us posted.
Yes sir. Will do! And please give me a shout if when you are up this way!

inlandcurlwakeshapers

Reaction score
Boat Make
Axis
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If we can get a warm weekend with no rain, I'll be hitting you up Kevin Cook for our TF outing to test your newest product. I'd really appreciate some insight you may have on surfing because I've never done it before and it's one of the reasons we bought this boat. Any advice you could provide/demonstrate would be highly appreciated at that time.
Absolutely! I believe we are only a few weeks away from surf season. Give me a shout and we'll get together.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I

Your in Atlanta area? I' be interested in helping you test I own small company myself and am on the lake every weekend

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My name is Kevin Cook. First post on the forum. I am the guy working on the design in the video. I own Inland Curl. It is still in the developmental stages of course. However, I have had positive feedback from several Yamaha owners now. I'm sure it won't perform as good as the Wake Wedge, but it does improve the surf wave performance of the boat. And its a third of the cost. So it very well may be a viable option for some jet drive owners. I am still waiting to get some good quality pictures and video. I will share results as I get them!
Hey Kevin, welcome to the forum. It will be interesting to see footage of your device on our boats. Of the Yamaha boats you've tested were they all twin engine or did you also get a chance to test a single engine? What kind of gains did the people who've tested it on a Yamaha get?

inlandcurlwakeshapers

Reaction score
Boat Make
Axis
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
This project started last year, really late in the season. A gentleman from Atlanta with a 212x actually came up with the idea of mounting underneath. So I made a few different designs and came up with a prototype as you've seen above. I used it under several v drives here, as well as a Sea Ray I/O. I was really impressed. So I made him one and sold it to him with a full refund policy if it didn't work. A couple weeks passed and he told me he was pleased with the results. Definite improvement in the wake. Unfortunately, he never sent me any pics and I've lost his contact info. This happens all the time. Guys buy shapers and say they will send pics. Some do. Most do not. Anyhow, I have also had a AR190 and recently a AR192 customer. The 192 customer is a member on this forum and has posted in that section about it. He sent me a text last night with a short video, but it just isn't good enough quality to share. Supposed to be getting better pics from him the next trip out. I realize you guys are skeptical, and want to see results. Trust me, I'm there too. Its just about warm enough here to get on the water. I've had a couple local guys willing to let me try it on their boats. So as soon as I can I plan to get some pictures and high quality video to share. That being said, I don't think this is going to revolutionize wake surfing for you guys. Will it be as good as a Wake Wedge? Probably not. Do I believe it will have a place in the market? Yes I do. As far as it working on single jet, and twin jet. I simply do not know what boats are what yet. Please be patient with me. I will do my best to learn as quickly as possible.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Well the Gantlin wake wedge isn't really a shaper but more of a jet deflector. It is shaped specific though and the angle does come into play to get the right wave. Your device would be more like actually trying to create some divergence in the flow. I tried making a DIY suck gate for the side of the hull but because these boats don't have tracking fins to hold them straight it just throws the boat to the side like tossing out an anchor lol. IMO if your device works it would likely be used in conjunction with the Gantlin Wake Wedge because the twin engine guys need something at least to deflect the thrust on the surf side. Definitely interested in the results! If you need another test mule for pics and vids I can help for the single engine guys haha.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Well the Gantlin wake wedge isn't really a shaper but more of a jet deflector. It is shaped specific though and the angle does come into play to get the right wave. Your device would be more like actually trying to create some divergence in the flow. I tried making a DIY suck gate for the side of the hull but because these boats don't have tracking fins to hold them straight it just throws the boat to the side like tossing out an anchor lol. IMO if your device works it would likely be used in conjunction with the Gantlin Wake Wedge because the twin engine guys need something at least to deflect the thrust on the surf side. Definitely interested in the results! If you need another test mule for pics and vids I can help for the single engine guys haha.
I think anyone who knows Haknslash from this site, will tell you this is the guy you want doing videos.

inlandcurlwakeshapers

Reaction score
Boat Make
Axis
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I understand what you're saying about the push. A shaper with a steep angle and large surface area will even push a boat with tracking fins. So I can only imagine how sensitive boats are that don't have fins. One thing I've noticed on the boats I have had a chance to try it on, is it actually makes the boat list just a little. The Sea Ray I/O doesn't have fins. They were able to surf with no rope using this GEN2, and didn't have any ballast. Small wave of course, but I couldn't believe it. I'm going to text Joe this morning and see if he had that result on his 192. I will also ask his if he noticed any push. Maybe he will chime in here too. His username is str8jkn

str8jkn

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The Gen 2 did make a noticeable difference and turned the wake of the boat into a shaped wave at 10-ish mph. There was some list due to the mounting position and there was minimal push when underway, the boat was still very controllable. My wife was at the helm and drove with no issues to speak of. I’ve seen videos of how the AR192 handles with a suck gate and this was nothing like that.

I had no weight in the boat...(ballasts will be in this Tuesday along with a hyperlite landlock board)...!! The wave was shaped, but small for that reason so I’m confident the wave will be rideable and I’ll be able to drop the rope with when the weight is in place also. Weather permitting We will be out next weekend to test it out properly. I’ll get some video and pics.

It’s my understanding the Gatlin wake wedge isn’t available for the 190 and 192 so I’m stoked about what Kevin has put together for these boats.

-JA

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The Gen 2 did make a noticeable difference and turned the wake of the boat into a shaped wave at 10-ish mph. There was some list due to the mounting position and there was minimal push when underway, the boat was still very controllable. My wife was at the helm and drove with no issues to speak of. I’ve seen videos of how the AR192 handles with a suck gate and this was nothing like that.

I had no weight in the boat...(ballasts will be in this Tuesday along with a hyperlite landlock board)...!! The wave was shaped, but small for that reason so I’m confident the wave will be rideable and I’ll be able to drop the rope with when the weight is in place also. Weather permitting We will be out next weekend to test it out properly. I’ll get some video and pics.

It’s my understanding the Gatlin wake wedge isn’t available for the 190 and 192 so I’m stoked about what Kevin has put together for these boats.

-JA
When we mention "push" we are referring to the amount of power the wave has in terms of when you're riding on a board on top of the wave. Not referring to the boat being pushed around. ;)

The Gantlin Wedge isn't needed for a 190 or 192. There seems to be some confusion thinking the Gantlin Wedge is a wake shaper. It doesn't change the shape of the wake but rather deflects jet wash. A single engine does not have jet wash spilling into the wave like a twin with its offset engines. In fact once you get enough ballast on a single, the jet wash will flow right into the wave.

Looking forward to seeing your videos!