• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Hauling bikes while towing boat?

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hey everyone. My kids like to ride their bikes when vacationing. For the 1st time, we're taking our boat to a lake house 3 hours away and I'd like to take the kids' bikes too. I have a hitch mount bike rack, but I'll obviously have my boat using the truck's hitch. Is there any way to use the bike rack to haul their bikes too?

Don't put them in the boat, they're full of grease and they move around too much and can scratch things. You may consider a rack for the top of your truck or SUV. A cheaper option would be to remove the wheels and pedals from all the bikes to allow for better storage in your vehicle or bed. I've done that - tires stack on top of each other, frames will nest into each other.

1590603109008.png
Mounting Hitch on boat trailer for Bicycles

Front Mount Hitch Bike Rack

Carrying bikes with a front mounted trailer hitch installed.

If the tow vehicle has a front mount hitch, a standard hitch mount bike rack can be used to carry bikes on the front of the tow vehicle. Some people prefer to carry bikes on the front of the vehicle so the bikes can stay in view from the driver seat. The things to keep in mind when carrying bikes on the front of the vehicle are to make sure the bikes won't block the headlights when driving at night and to make sure the airflow to the radiator isn't limited by the bikes. When not towing your camper, a hitch bike rack can be carried in the rear hitch of the vehicle to take the bikes to the trailhead.

Hitch bike rack

Shop Hitch Mount Bike Racks

Shop Front Mount Hitch Fitguide

That's a really good idea on mounting on the bow-side of the boat trailer. I only have 2' 3" from the winch stand to the hitch. I'm not sure that'll work for me, but I'll definitely give it look!

They make racks that sit in the truck bed.

For kids bikes, this is plenty adequate

Before we bought our Lake House, I was looking at the same options. The easiest option is probably the front Hitch, assuming your vehicle can accept a front hitch. I also found a couple of hitch bike racks that provided for a Trailer Attachment, but I don't believe I ever found one that could handle the weight of a boat, as they had very limiting tongue weights and overall load rates.

Depending on your truck setup you can also build a cheap 2x4 rack to sit on top of the bed sides, and still have room under for cargo. I did this when we had a pop up camper, instead of on the truck bed it sat on top of the camper. Bikes came off, boards on the ground, and set up the camper. Cost me about $10 in 1x2 and 2x4 lumber and a couple ratchet straps. If you wanted to get fancy you could paint it or use treated wood, but for that price if it broke I'd just build another.

I bolted a 2 inch receiver to the back bumper of my camper. Might not work for all campers though

I'd need a 3' extension to come off the frame behind the boat, so that's probably not an option. There's not enough space to mount on the front side of the trailer between the winch stand and the tailgate - the tailgate will strike the bikes in a mild turn. I'll try to find a receiver for the front of the truck.

We have a setup from Yakima bedrock like this. Works great.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200611-193211.png
    Screenshot_20200611-193211.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
I recommend the front hitch as well. They are easy to install and well worth the money. You may also find it useful for moving your boat or PWCs around as well. Check out etrailer for a broad range of options, possibly tow vehicle specific.
5831609C-A4D4-469D-B175-7FC46E358139.png

I have a load bar bike rack for our truck bed. I mount it high on the bedsides so I can load the bed with stuff and the bikes are over the top. The only requirement is your front bike wheel has to be removed because your front fork is what is what gets attached to the mount.

Reviving this thread. I’m thinking of having my welders put a receiver hitch on each side of the rear of my Shoreland’r, right above the taillights, on the main beams (2020 242 SE). Then I’ll have them make me a crossmember that slides into these two receivers, and centered on that, I’ll have another receiver welded. Basically creating a removable 2” box receiver centered behind my boat, for my Yakima bike rack. I’ll have them reinforce it, likely with two arms that come down at 45° angels to bolt through the lower members that hold the bunks. Other than a potential tongue weight offset issue (my Yakima is about 100 lbs, and I suspect each of my 4 bikes is 35 lbs. ), any thoughts on why this might not be a great idea?

My first thought was, "Wow, he has personal welders"

My first thought was, "Wow, he has personal welders"
Ha, I wish!! Just my local guys that can pretty much build anything, including their rock buggies from scratch. Very good guys; I’m lucky to have such talent 5 minutes from my office.

Reviving this thread. I’m thinking of having my welders put a receiver hitch on each side of the rear of my Shoreland’r, right above the taillights, on the main beams (2020 242 SE). Then I’ll have them make me a crossmember that slides into these two receivers, and centered on that, I’ll have another receiver welded. Basically creating a removable 2” box receiver centered behind my boat, for my Yakima bike rack. I’ll have them reinforce it, likely with two arms that come down at 45° angels to bolt through the lower members that hold the bunks. Other than a potential tongue weight offset issue (my Yakima is about 100 lbs, and I suspect each of my 4 bikes is 35 lbs. ), any thoughts on why this might not be a great idea?
No real issues for a bike rack. I think the trailer frame has the structure for it. You're talking about ~400lbs hanging off the back of the trailer, so watch that tongue weight. Otherwise if your welders are worth their salt you should be good to go.

Last edited:
Back