• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Have you ever banned a friend from your boat?

jameskeller76

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In my case its the wife's friend.
<Rant>
We have a set of rules and guidelines for our boat that are for safety and overall upkeep of the boat the is distributed to all invitees. Several weeks ago said friend was on our boat she broke 2 rules. She brought a GLASS bottle of RED wine and opened it. I didn't notice until it was already opened. They drank it on the swim platform but I asked them please refer to our rules and don't do it again.

Fast forward to this past weekend. Same friend first broke our don't be late rule. We had to wait for her for 30 minutes at the dock so I was already annoyed. I told her that next time I won't wait.

Perhaps she was late because she was busy buying another GLASS bottle of RED WINE! Turns out it was sparkling red and I knew it was on board when I heard the cork pop. I look back to see sparkling red flowing out of the top. Luckily they were on the swim platform and nothing got stained but WTF?
</Rant>

Any of you given someone the ban hammer?

jeff_s

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah..Red wine. get the hell out of here. Same goes with bloody Mary's. Thats just asking for a stain. I am a fan of porters and I try not to even bring porters out with me

We haven't had to ban anyone yet..(still early in the season tho). But I know of a few of my friends who I will conveniently not invite out at all chances. Either they can't control their drinking (on land) or they will can't take directions well.

flyingnugget

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Oh this sucks...

I would talk to your wife first and go through her. Mention to your wife the rules and they are there for all passengers, young and old. Tell her if she wants her friend to come out then no glass and no red wine...just that simple. There are plenty of other drinks for a boat..lol
I think it would be better for the friend to hear it from your wife versus you (again).
Next time she comes out with you guys, ask her before she gets on the boat did you bring glass or red wine? if so, leave it here on the dock or in her car. dont let it get to the point they are on the swim platform with a cork screw.

As for the late thing... Good luck there. some people are just late for everything so add that into the equation. You plan on leaving at 10am...Tell her 930a. If she's on time then put her to work getting things ready .. she can drink her wine on the dock hehehe

And no, I've never had to ban anyone from the boa... yet....

BlackandTan

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Maybe have your wife talk to her and explain why the rules are in place. Back when we first started boating we got back from a trip on a buddies boat and when we got the pics developed there was one of my wife in the act of spilling her red wine. I cleaned his carpet for him and bought my wife one of these.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I have spilled red wine in my boat and it does clean up. But it is a challenge. I drink red wines so it is my choice. A good unbreakable plastic glass is in order however, to minimize spillage. Your challenge my friend, is for both you and your wife, to be on the same page as to rules. I have found, that rules are often overlooked by friends and they don't see the need. We pretty much accepted that when friends show up, the rules will get bent as they don't see the need themselves. So a choice has to be made...enjoy your boat yourself with your rules, or invite friends and suggest, but don't expect them to follow them the way you would. Just kind of the way it works. I don't ban, but I don't invite those that don't respect either.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would not be concerned about a wine bottle as they are difficult to break.

Years ago one of my wife's friends spilled sangria on carpet in our boat. It cleaned up easily. Now with hydro teak (SeaDek) everywhere it would not be an issue at all.

I try to avoid chips as they are a pain to clean up but I would not be bothered by red wine as long as I liked the friend to begin with.

jameskeller76

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have spilled red wine in my boat and it does clean up. But it is a challenge. I drink red wines so it is my choice. A good unbreakable plastic glass is in order however, to minimize spillage. Your challenge my friend, is for both you and your wife, to be on the same page as to rules. I have found, that rules are often overlooked by friends and they don't see the need. We pretty much accepted that when friends show up, the rules will get bent as they don't see the need themselves. So a choice has to be made...enjoy your boat yourself with your rules, or invite friends and suggest, but don't expect them to follow them the way you would. Just kind of the way it works. I don't ban, but I don't invite those that don't respect either.
She is the only one in a year+ that has broken this rule. It's not like we're all a bunch of teenagers. Our friends are all 35+. And I do expect them to follow my rules.

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'm not trying to be rude by saying this but do you think your wife may have told her it would be ok? Maybe she secretly wanted the wine on the boat also and just said ahh just bring it.

If that's not the case have her tell her friend don't bring it again plain and simple.

Best of luck and I don't blame you one bit as we all have our rules!

jameskeller76

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would not be concerned about a wine bottle as they are difficult to break.

Years ago one of my wife's friends spilled sangria on carpet in our boat. It cleaned up easily. Now with hydro teak (SeaDek) everywhere it would not be an issue at all.

I try to avoid chips as they are a pain to clean up but I would not be bothered by red wine as long as I liked the friend to begin with.
CHIPS! Yes, I just had to wash chips out of the boat yesterday. They are going on the "don't bring on board list"

ThatJeepGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I make a point to remind guests a few times that no glass is allowed. As far as being late, I'm not afraid to leave anyone behind. A few years back I had a friend that was 45 minutes late. While I was waiting I was just idling close to the ramp. My jet sucked up a small stick that wedged itself between the wear ring and the impeller. I had to pull the pump to get it out. From that day on I'll wait for nobody. If you really wanted to go you'd be early....

jameskeller76

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm not trying to be rude by saying this but do you think your wife may have told her it would be ok? Maybe she secretly wanted the wine on the boat also and just said ahh just bring it.

If that's not the case have her tell her friend don't bring it again plain and simple.

Best of luck and I don't blame you one bit as we all have our rules!
No, Wife didn't drink any of it and she knows I'm not a fan.,

jeff_s

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah chips are on my short list too. Nothing worse than soggy chips stuck in every crevice in the floor.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
for the list...ketchup, mustard, salsa, cheetos, guacamole :eek: (it is considered a "no go" item on my boat, I ALWAYS have Guacamole and of course the chips that you eat with it!), better add potato salad if you like mustard potato salad...don't get a grill, the grease will be worse than any of the things we've talked about so far, suntan oils!!!, they will never come out of the vinyl, oh, and no ice bags!!! the ink will also stain the vinyl! I'll keep thinking, because there are more. Personally, the only ones so far that I don't allow are cheetos and suntan oils.:winkingthumbsup"

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Some may or may not agree with the glass issue, or the red wine issue. To me, that is not the point. Its YOUR boat, dammit! You paid for it, you maintain it, you clean it. You have the right to any F****** rules you want. I wouldnt get upset for a first time rule breaker, but have zero tolerance after that. People that dont obey your wishes/rules are showing you disrespect! So, I completely agree with banning somebody under those circumstances. I have never had to do that....hope I never do, but would not hesitate to if needed. I may not "BAN" them, but they certainly would never be invited back!

Good luck with the wife....hopefully she will back you up....after all...its her boat too!

Last edited:

jeff_s

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I got grease off my swim platform with this magical solution.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I got grease off my swim platform with this magical solution.
I noticed it says "CORROSIVE" on the bottle? I think you would have to be careful where you used it?

jeff_s

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I noticed it says "CORROSIVE" on the bottle? I think you would have to be careful where you used it?
I use it diluted 50/50 with water. It is some powerful stuff tho. I never use it in a confined space.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I don't have any rules like that, just safety related ones. I have never banned anyone from my boat for breaking rules but have told my wife that her girl friends boyfriend is not welcome aboard since he is just an A hole generally.

I caught one of my best friends cutting up a steak on a paper plate sitting on a sitting cushion (instead of the fillet table) once, now he is not allowed to use any sharp instruments on the boat.

To each his own but for me, I boat to relax and enjoy the company of friends and family, worry about the boat getting dirty just adds stress not relieves it. So no rules like that for me. Hell we don't even wipe the boat down after a day on the water.

jameskeller76

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Actually had the wife help me clean the boat yesterday so she can get an idea of what goes into it. I'm not afraid of messes, its gonna happen. I have a grill and we love to cook and eat but there are many things you can eat and that don't includes cheetos and red wine.

AZDANSX230HO

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We only invite people we are very close friends with (two different couples) or family members, they know the rules and respect them, that's how we roll and are like minded people. I stopped inviting random friends/acquaintances many years ago, too many bad experiences with making messes and acting stupid.