• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Have you ever banned a friend from your boat?

ThatJeepGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I understand it is your boat therefore your rules, however, why stress out over it as you do have a choice not to invite them back. I agree with Ronnie that a boat is to be enjoyed and to relax with family and friends. So when you reach my age you may very well look back and say was I really that uptight. And I will end by saying "life is to short not to have fun" go and enjoy.[flag]
I understand and agree, to a point. But let's say someone brings beer in bottles. Now we have bottle caps on the boat. Then someone cuts their foot open because they've stepped on a bottle cap. Nope, not on my boat. I'm going to do everything I can to protect my guests.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No spray suntan lotion is always a good practice.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In my case its the wife's friend.
<Rant>
We have a set of rules and guidelines for our boat that are for safety and overall upkeep of the boat the is distributed to all invitees. Several weeks ago said friend was on our boat she broke 2 rules. She brought a GLASS bottle of RED wine and opened it. I didn't notice until it was already opened. They drank it on the swim platform but I asked them please refer to our rules and don't do it again.

Fast forward to this past weekend. Same friend first broke our don't be late rule. We had to wait for her for 30 minutes at the dock so I was already annoyed. I told her that next time I won't wait.

Perhaps she was late because she was busy buying another GLASS bottle of RED WINE! Turns out it was sparkling red and I knew it was on board when I heard the cork pop. I look back to see sparkling red flowing out of the top. Luckily they were on the swim platform and nothing got stained but WTF?
</Rant>

Any of you given someone the ban hammer?
We typically only go out with close friends who we invite and our boat is not worth more than a friendship. Other than safety we don't have any rules and have never had to have any. Personally if somebody bought a bottle of red wine I would drink it, not boot them off! If somebody was late we would go out and put up the bimini, go for a swim, etc., and come back and get them. Maybe we're too flexible.

jameskeller76

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We need pictures of the red wine drinking friend to make sure you're not over-reacting :)
This is a good point. She is far from a 10. Maybe I should amend the rules. Only women that are 8+ are allowed to drink red wine. I'm sure that would go over well :rolleyes:

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Can you say...drink her pretty!:winkingthumbsup" Better yet, if you help her drink that red wine, she can't spill it! It's a win win!

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I got a boat to have fun, not get uptight. My vessel will always be a sanctuary for wine drinking women :smuggrin:

Emilio22

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Go out with many people including friends of friends. Everyone always comments on how clean and new the boat looks so I take advantage to tell them its because all my guests have to treat the boat as if theirs and look out not to cause a mess or damage anything. Just basic rules, no shoes and no glass. I have towels for all the seats and lay them out so that sunblock doesn't get on the seats. Have had my share of people who drank too much and were a bit borish but never to the point where I wouldn't have them back. Boating has actually taught me to have some patience.

tim h

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Trophy
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
This is a good point. She is far from a 10. Maybe I should amend the rules. Only women that are 8+ are allowed to drink red wine. I'm sure that would go over well :rolleyes:
Even when a hottie spills red wine, it still SUCKS scrubbing it off your boat.

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
no,

did have someone I had to yell at once, then unofficially "banned" LOL as in "just no longer invite" :) Obnoxious coworker of my wife.... throwing back those giant cans of flavored beer (vomit) dancing around... I Always tell people not to step in a certain spot on my engine hatch. Its the curve in the back, thats contoured foam. BAM. steps right on it, deformed the foam. (pushed into seam) I finally removed the staples and fixed that this year. ugh.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I always try to provide both a why behind the rule as well as an alternative.

Some of my rules are:
1.) No red wine - because is stains when it spills. I also add that I'm a red wine fan so this definitely hurts me (who's not drinking anyway) more than you. Alternative: it's summer, and what's nicer than a chilled white out of the cooler on a hot day anyway.

2.) No spray sunscreen - because only about 20% of it will actually hit you and the other 80% will land on the boat and make that part slippery and a safety hazard whenever the boat rocks. As an alternative, we always buy a Costco pack of non-spray sunscreen and keep several tubes on the boat.

3.) When doing any water sports with a rope, the rope MUST not get under the boat. This boat is basically two huge water vacuums under the boat will get sucked in and wound around the propeller shafts. At that point, all the fun gets to stop for 90 minutes while you get to hear me cuss you name as I cut YOUR now worthless $80 tow rope out of the engine.

4.) No shoes on the boat unless you pay monthly expenses on it or worked as a boat mechanic your entire working career (this is for my 83 year old step-dad who was a boat mechanic). Please deposit your shoes in the Shoe bin. Another thing I learned last year at Shasta is to be aware of where and how people are getting to the boat. We had to walk down a red-dirt path across the dry lakebed last year to get to the dock. People were really good about taking their shoes off however, there was still red-dirt all over the boat that I was wiping up. After about 2-3 trips down to the boat, I realized that those who wore sandals or flip-flops got that dust on their feet and once their feet got wet, there was the dirt. I then asked them to rinse their feet in the lake before getting on the boat and the problem stopped.

5.) Beer and wine bottles are generally OK as they take a lot to break. Please throw your bottle caps into the garbage so people don't step on them. Please do not throw them into the soft sided cooler, as they can cause it to leak (yes, I had that happen).

6.) Food, chips, mayo and such are generally allowed. I'm lucky in that people I go out with aren't a Dorito or Cheeto fan, so those aren't around.

7.) As we are cruising about the lake, please try to distribute yourselves evenly from side-to-side. This will help balance the boat and make it more comfortable for all of us. If there is a lot of weight in the boat, I may also ask a few of you to sit up front...this is for performance reasons.

8.) I'm the captain and if I make a request, please respect it. If you don't understand why, you're always allowed to ask to help you understand better. Note though that it may take me a few minutes to get back to you as I may be concentrating on something else at the moment.

I've found that most people are good once they know why I have a rule and what the alternative is...

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
whew!!! this thread grew quickly.... Now that I've read it all, Ill start here:
In my case its the wife's friend
I'll see your wife's friend, and raise you my wife's sister.

She decided to get sh*t faced while out on the boat and passed out. Then later, right before we got back to the dock she puked all over the starboard aft hull... in front of my son. ..... So I threw her over my shoulder, put her into the truck and advised my kid that because she couldn't control herself his aunt needed to be babysat by a 10 y/o.

So far she's the only one to not be invited back. Mostly because I'm like @Glassman - I don't care to invite people out. Usually I prefer to meet other friends who have their boats out.... or even better, since I bought the boat for us - usually its just us.

As for cleaning the wife is WAAAY more retentive than I am - so no worries there.

That being said - gets me to my second point:
We had to wait for her for 30 minutes at the dock so I was already annoyed
I'm going to call BS on this one. I don't wait. Unless I get a call with a really good reason (in which case we'll come back for you) you are pretty much left. That's on you. Unless your wife literally had you by the gonads I don't see how you had to wait. Sorry bud but YOU decided to be nice - and you were rewarded with her disrespectfully bringing a red drink again. If she's your wife's friend that's fine but she's not yours - I never hesitate to be the "designated" a**hole when the need arises.

Rules are: Just be respectful - you show no respect you don't get invited back... that simple.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
What are your favorite beers?
I prefer the taste from a bottle so even if a can is available I typically will go bottle 95% of the time. I like a lot of Ales and Lagers, particular in styles of Amber, Honey, Belgian, Pale Ale, IPA and a few Pilsners.
Beers I like and usually have on board are: Stella Artois, Dog Fish Brewery 90 minute IPA, Back Forty Truck Stop Honey Brown Ale (local microbrewery), Dos Equis Lager Especial, Sam Adams Porch Rocker, Good People Brewing Snake Handler (local microbrewery) and Rolling Rock.
If its a nice hot day I usually want to down a few nice cold Coronas while I'm out... but otherwise I prefer America's oldest brewery - Yuengling Lager!!!

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
In my case its the wife's friend.
<Rant>
We have a set of rules and guidelines for our boat that are for safety and overall upkeep of the boat the is distributed to all invitees. Several weeks ago said friend was on our boat she broke 2 rules. She brought a GLASS bottle of RED wine and opened it. I didn't notice until it was already opened. They drank it on the swim platform but I asked them please refer to our rules and don't do it again.

Fast forward to this past weekend. Same friend first broke our don't be late rule. We had to wait for her for 30 minutes at the dock so I was already annoyed. I told her that next time I won't wait.

Perhaps she was late because she was busy buying another GLASS bottle of RED WINE! Turns out it was sparkling red and I knew it was on board when I heard the cork pop. I look back to see sparkling red flowing out of the top. Luckily they were on the swim platform and nothing got stained but WTF?
</Rant>

Any of you given someone the ban hammer?
I would have never waited 30 minutes for someone no matter who are! Banned!

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I will say one thing about this thread...very interesting reading!

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I always ask if the towels or clothes are new.

Now onto another important subject, and I can hijack my own thread. What are your favorite beers? Luckily Austin breweries are making most of their beers in cans now.
There is a thread on this already, but....for me most genuine Bavarian Weiss bier, dark or light is good with me. NOT a fan of IPA's or bitter stuff.
Domestic would be nearly frozen Coor's light in the screw top can. Great for 4 wheeling and floating in the water. :winkingthumbsup"

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Worth it! She should be on the bow of the boat making other boater jealous. Like a prized heifer at auction. Fun fact: that's a normal full sized Red wine glass....