• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Have you ever banned a friend from your boat?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I don't have any specific rules or print out a list of Do's and Don'ts to handout to people. Personally I wouldn't feel welcome if I was given such a thing unless it's a charter boat or something along those lines. YMMV. Maybe it's because anyone that is on my boat is typically a close friend or family so I know how those people generally behave and act. If they are one of my moronic friends they simply don't get invited as I know the inevitable will happen and it's just not worth stressing over. Boating should be FUN and to relieve stress, not add to it.

As far as letting people that come on my boat I just generally tell them where life jackets are, safety stuff, no shoes, no sun tan oils and only spray sunblock if you're on the swim platform. I also tell them to watch any ropes or things in the water to help me out so we don't suck something up and ruin a day. My boat is small so it's not like I'm going to have large parties off it like I'm on a big cabin cruiser lol. If i see someone doing something I don't like I ask them politely to do it another/better way to make it all enjoyable for everyone. I don't care if glass is brought on my boat. Some of the best beers only come in glass near me and that includes what I drink :D. As far as smoking goes only I can smoke inside the cockpit. Anyone else must wait until we pull up somewhere to anchor or tie off and then they can smoke off the swim platform. I just don't want burn holes in my seadek or vinyl.

For eating if it's just my wife and daughter with me I don't care where we eat as it's our boat to mess up but if I'm on someone else's boat or if others are in mine I prefer to eat on the swim platform to not get anything on the vinyl. Anyone that disrespects the captain and captains crew gets tossed in the drink and is left to be fish bait ..YARRR :D.

I've found the biggest stain creators is not food but rather fabric that is brand new and hasn't been washed yet. New bathing suits (red is the worst), towels, bags, etc that have dye in them will typically bleed if they get wet. So I make sure to try and avoid those situations. If a guest has on what appears a new bathing suit I have them sit on a towel. Once I explain why it's usually understood and they will be more aware next time out. No harm no foul.

I feel these are all common sense stuff and there's no need for me to be a drill sergeant to guests unless they just continue to do something stupid after speaking with them.

Last edited:

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've found the biggest stain creators is not food but rather fabric that is brand new and hasn't been washed yet. New bathing suits (red is the worst), towels, bags, etc that have die in them will typically bleed if they get wet. So I make sure to try and avoid those situations. If a guest has on what appears a new bathing suit I have them sit on a towel.
Depending on the person, you could just ask them to remove the offending garment!:winkingthumbsup"

jameskeller76

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't have any specific rules or print out a list of Do's and Don'ts to handout to people. Personally I wouldn't feel welcome if I was given such a thing unless it's a charter boat or something along those lines. YMMV. Maybe it's because anyone that is on my boat is typically a close friend so I know how those people generally behave and act. If they are one of my moronic friends they simply don't get invited as I know the inevitable will happen and it's just not worth stressing over. Boating should be FUN and to relieve stress, not add to it.

As far as letting people that come on my boat I just generally tell them where life jackets are, safety stuff and to not spray sun tanning lotion unless you're on the swim platform. I also tell them to watch any ropes or things in the water to help me out so we don't suck something up and ruin a day. My boat is small so it's not like I'm going to have large parties off it like I'm on a big cabin cruiser lol. If i see someone doing something I don't like I ask them politely to do it another/better way to make it all enjoyable for everyone. I don't care if glass is brought on my boat. Some of the best beers only come in glass and that includes what I drink :D. As far as smoking goes only I can smoke inside the cockpit. Anyone else must wait until we pull up somewhere to anchor or tie off and then they can smoke off the swim platform. I just don't want burn holes in my seadek or vinyl.

For eating if it's just my wife and daughter with me I don't care where we eat as it's our boat to mess up but if I'm on someone else's boat or if others are in mine I prefer to eat on the swim platform to not get anything on the vinyl. Anyone that disrespects the captain and captains crew gets tossed in the drink and is left to be fish bait.

I've found the biggest stain creators is not food but rather fabric that is brand new and hasn't been washed yet. New bathing suits (red is the worst), towels, bags, etc that have die in them will typically bleed if they get wet. So I make sure to try and avoid those situations. If a guest has on what appears a new bathing suit I have them sit on a towel. Once I explain why it's usually understood and they will be more aware next time out. No harm no foul.

I feel these are all common sense stuff and there's no need for me to be a drill sergeant to guests unless they just continue to do something stupid after speaking with them.
I always ask if the towels or clothes are new.

Now onto another important subject, and I can hijack my own thread. What are your favorite beers? Luckily Austin breweries are making most of their beers in cans now.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
wow, a preprinted list of rules given out beforehand, I'd judge you but hey, it's your boat and your responsible for everything and everyone once they step on board,
I'm sure your boat is in much better condition and value will keep up much better than mine,

That being said, if someone disrespected what I'd ask them they probably wouldn't be invited back or at least bag checked at the dock for contraband,
don't be an ass and bring something I've asked you not to and I won't be an ass and make you leave it at the dock,
I've sat in the captains chair plenty of times and pointed to a kid trying to get a handful of chips or grapes to get to the swim deck,

Also, I'm done waiting for people to show, if your not there at go time and not told me you'll be within 10 minutes, I'm gone, you can call me when you standing on the dock and I'll be back to get you

jeff_s

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did someone say Beer...?!? Victory Brewing is in my top 5

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If I banned people for being late, my wife would have never gotten to enjoy my boat. ;)

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I prefer the taste from a bottle so even if a can is available I typically will go bottle 95% of the time. I like a lot of Ales and Lagers, particular in styles of Amber, Honey, Belgian, Pale Ale, IPA and a few Pilsners.

Beers I like and usually have on board are: Stella Artois, Dog Fish Brewery 90 minute IPA, Back Forty Truck Stop Honey Brown Ale (local microbrewery), Dos Equis Lager Especial, Sam Adams Porch Rocker, Good People Brewing Snake Handler (local microbrewery) and Rolling Rock. My wife drinks Coors Light and hates anything I drink that actually has a taste of beer and not horse piss :D.

Last edited:

props2you

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
We've never evicted or blacklisted someone, but they've never received another invite.

5 rules:

No Shoes
No Red
No Glass
No Smoking/Flames/Fireworks
Nothing that ends in "O"... Doritos, Cheetos, Oreos, Mayo, burritos, cappuchino, spaghetti-O's, Avocado, taco, nacho, tomato, etc. (extensive list with few exceptions)

Like others, we are selective of those on the invite list. Family, no mercy for rule breaking. Like minded are the best, we enjoy bringing our friends that have boats, makes life easier.

I've never drowned anyone, but there's always a first!!

jameskeller76

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
wow, a preprinted list of rules given out beforehand, I'd judge you but hey, it's your boat and your responsible for everything and everyone once they step on board,
I'm sure your boat is in much better condition and value will keep up much better than mine,

That being said, if someone disrespected what I'd ask them they probably wouldn't be invited back or at least bag checked at the dock for contraband,
don't be an ass and bring something I've asked you not to and I won't be an ass and make you leave it at the dock,
I've sat in the captains chair plenty of times and pointed to a kid trying to get a handful of chips or grapes to get to the swim deck,

Also, I'm done waiting for people to show, if your not there at go time and not told me you'll be within 10 minutes, I'm gone, you can call me when you standing on the dock and I'll be back to get you
It got tiring telling people what they can and can not do. This list has actually made for a much better experience for everyone. People that haven't been boating before don't know things like:

No shoes
Keep your hands in the boat when docking
No smoking
No new clothes that will stain the seats
kids wear life jackets at all times
etc, etc.

We also include instructions on where to park and where we will pick you up. To most of us its basic stuff but newbies are clueless.

jameskeller76

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I prefer the taste from a bottle so even if a can is available I typically will go bottle 95% of the time. I like a lot of Ales and Lagers, particular in styles of Amber, Honey, Belgian, Pale Ale, IPA and a few Pilsners.

Beers I like and usually have on board are: Stella Artois, Dog Fish Brewery 90 minute IPA, Back Forty Truck Stop Honey Brown Ale (local microbrewery), Dos Equis Lager Especial, Sam Adams Porch Rocker, Good People Brewing Snake Handler (local microbrewery) and Rolling Rock. My wife drinks Coors Light and hates anything I drink that actually has a taste of beer and not horse piss :D.
All good choices and I also prefer bottles but they are against local regulations. 99% of the time you could get away with it but once in awhile authorities will check coolers.
And I too prefer beer that has flavor unlike the Bud Lights of the world.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have one rule on my boat: DONT LET A ROPE GO UNDER THE BOAT !

that said...none of my friends smoke

H2OBoy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have never banned anyone from the boat but, as others have mentioned, I do have some that have never been invited back. I don't have any specific rules for the boat as I know things can be fixed/replaced/cleaned, but I do expect people to be respectful of my property. If they lack this respect they do not come back.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Other than the 6 of us and the occasional friend of one of the kids, we haven't had anyone else on the boat. (With the exception of a couple of quick trips with the In-Laws during our Wisconsin Dells trip.)

As the kids get older and start missing boating trips because of work (that will start this year with the Eldest), it's going to free up some space so we may have the occasional friend-couple along. I'm paying close attention to this thread to decide what my policy will ultimately be.

I agree that these "rules lists" can walk a fine line between being informative and off-putting. I guess it all really depends on how you word it and present it.

If I were to go that route, I'm picturing a tri-fold printed brochure with a lot of fun and welcoming graphics, a "What to Expect" section, a "Fell Free To Do This" section, and a "Please Don't Do That" section.

T. Turner

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No chips of any kind is a rule of mine. Memorial Day weekend I told our friends not to bring chips and dip or anything of the sort. Come to find out my other half told them that it wad no big deal and to go ahead. I didnt find out until we were already at the marina and I didnt want to cause a scene and ruin the whole day so I let it slide. Long story short there was chips and buffalo cheese dip everywhere when we got back. The next day I "highly encouraged" that Sarah (wife) help me clean the inside of the boat. Needless to say she gets it now and is on board with the no chip rule. :winkingthumbsup"

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't have any set rules really, but I've never invited people on the boat that I thought would be disrespectful of other people's property. My son has a couple friends that he has asked me if they could come to the lake with us, and I say no and tell him the reason is because the kids are too rough and not good listeners. One of them that we are good friends with the whole family, but the youngest son (6 year old) does not sit still and is all over everything while not paying attention to anything, honestly he is the only reason I haven't invited that family out on the boat, I'm afraid he will get hurt, and I don't want to be stressing about what he is doing every second while out.

Chips don't bother me, we had a family out with us last year, their boy was eating pringles in the bow while moving, he would hold one up and the wind would break it off. He thought it was funny, I was all meh, his Dad flipped his lid on him.
They own a boat as well, so they really respect keeping other people's boat clean and such.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We need pictures of the red wine drinking friend to make sure you're not over-reacting :)

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I only have one rule. Only one-piece bathing suits. The bottom half

John McLaughlin

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I understand it is your boat therefore your rules, however, why stress out over it as you do have a choice not to invite them back. I agree with Ronnie that a boat is to be enjoyed and to relax with family and friends. So when you reach my age you may very well look back and say was I really that uptight. And I will end by saying "life is to short not to have fun" go and enjoy.[flag]

robert cabrerea

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I invited a close "friend" who i now think is a hater he refused to check it out when I purchased and After inviting him out about 3 times he no shows or canceled at the last minute fast forward 10 months 1St time out with him and his GF and I look back and he is smoking a cigarette. ..not cool. And now his last time out.

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We need pictures of the red wine drinking friend to make sure you're not over-reacting :)
You beat me to it.
Its your boat so your rules. I'd be patient and wait on someone, but if it became a habit, I wouldn't invite them back. You may explain to your wife's friend why you don't want red wine on the boat, ie, cleaning it up. You could offer another alcohol choice that wouldn't be an issue. But its your boat and you get stuck with the cleaning so you have every reason to not allow the friend or her wine on board. People have mentioned stress free boating, well if she doesn't come along, you are reducing your stress. I haven't banned anyone but so far only my immediate family has been on our boat. My brother's family usually comes and he is just as anal as I am about keeping things clean.