• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Have you had a 1.8 timing chain failure, was it in warranty and how has Yamaha handled it?

Robconn

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
so your 2016 yamaha motor had 4 link timing chain?? what was build date on the motor?

I can only share what yamaha told me.

personally, I still took cover off one motor to see what I have. it was 5 link chain on 5/15 motor build date.
My boat was most likely one of the earliest 16 models off the assembly line as I purchased the demo boat from marina with 30- 35 hrs. I believe you and what you said. I just wanted to you to be sure that the Yamaha rep was not accurate as my personal experience in that regard is testament. Sounds like with the tc 5 link chain you have zero to worry over. I would feel confident purchasing that boat. Just as I would feel confident selling my boat that the next owner is safe from engine failure. I believe at my marina, according to the shop supervisor, I was the only boat to have total engine failure due to the tc out of all the 16 models they sold that year. At year 5, I am extremely content with the workmanship going foward. The boat handles and functions as it should. I have some speed loss but not enough to pull boat out mid season. It’s going to be my winter off season project. I will check for build date and have updated or you.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My boat was most likely one of the earliest 16 models off the assembly line as I purchased the demo boat from marina with 30- 35 hrs. I believe you and what you said. I just wanted to you to be sure that the Yamaha rep was not accurate as my personal experience in that regard is testament. Sounds like with the tc 5 link chain you have zero to worry over. I would feel confident purchasing that boat. Just as I would feel confident selling my boat that the next owner is safe from engine failure. I believe at my marina, according to the shop supervisor, I was the only boat to have total engine failure due to the tc out of all the 16 models they sold that year. At year 5, I am extremely content with the workmanship going foward. The boat handles and functions as it should. I have some speed loss but not enough to pull boat out mid season. It’s going to be my winter off season project. I will check for build date and have updated or you.
5 link chains have popped, just not as common

Robconn

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
5 link chains have popped, just not as common
Definitely rare, I have not heard of any. probably other components at play for that to occur. I was told the electronics that go into the engine have warning systems to alert you before the engine fails. Most are preventable. Service manager said with the tc issue I would have no early sign or display on monitor. I heard a sound like a bicycle chain skipping and grinding with vibration a moment before I lost rpms and power then I was dead in the water.

Robconn

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
so your 2016 yamaha motor had 4 link timing chain?? what was build date on the motor?

I can only share what yamaha told me.

personally, I still took cover off one motor to see what I have. it was 5 link chain on 5/15 motor build date.
I found the title to the Yamaha. It has a build date 3/09/16. So it could not have been assembled after that date. Once I get to the boat I will confirm date. Date of purchase was 6/30/16

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I found the title to the Yamaha. It has a build date 3/09/16. So it could not have been assembled after that date. Once I get to the boat I will confirm date. Date of purchase was 6/30/16
Build date of a boat is different from the engine. There is a stamped build date on the top of the engine

Ballisticevo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is there anyone on the east coast (preferably in NC) that installs the 2016 MY timing setup? My dealer acted like I had 3 heads for asking. My boat is a 2015 and only has 24 hours.

I want to keep it but I would rather spend what a new engine cost upgrading to a nicer boat 😂

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Its more than just a chain, its the crank and cams, chain guides, tensioner, etc as well so its a complete removal and tear down.
They went to a wider(one more link) chain so the gears in your engine wont work. The gears are not removable. And not sure is the front cover is the same, may be different

Ballisticevo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Its more than just a chain, its the crank and cams, chain guides, tensioner, etc as well so its a complete removal and tear down.
They went to a wider(one more link) chain so the gears in your engine wont work. The gears are not removable. And not sure is the front cover is the same, may be different
I am aware it's this kit that includes a crank which has me really tempted to sell my boat. Before selling it though I figure it's worth getting it quoted for upgrade.

jmargo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
People have upgraded the chain, guides and cam sprockets but left the crank. I have seen it a few times on the Facebook forum and a couple jet ski boards.

Ballisticevo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
People have upgraded the chain, guides and cam sprockets but left the crank. I have seen it a few times on the Facebook forum and a couple jet ski boards.
That is interesting. I guess a link down bottom would just not land on a gear?

1BadTundra

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Hate to resurrect this thread, but while doing my maintenance on my 2016, I see a 5/15 build date on my motors... Ugh, just what I need on my mind while trying to enjoy myself on the water.

ks9mm

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hate to resurrect this thread, but while doing my maintenance on my 2016, I see a 5/15 build date on my motors... Ugh, just what I need on my mind while trying to enjoy myself on the water.
Don’t worry about it. Same build date on mine, my chain is proper 5 links. See my post in this thread.

1BadTundra

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Don’t worry about it. Same build date on mine, my chain is proper 5 links. See my post in this thread.
I saw that... Hoping and praying mine is the same.

ks9mm

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Takes 5 min to take valve cover off to verify… put your mind at ease

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I purchased a 242 with the same engine build date as yours. Mine had the upgraded TC. However to give you the peace a mind I would pull the valve cover to confirm. It takes very little effort and I use pull very liberally. After taking the bolts out, all I really did is pull up a couple inches on the front of the valve cover closet to me in the cockpit of the boat and it’s right there. Didn’t move or replace any gasket and haven’t had any leaks. Again really easy to do and the video on the first page of this thread is helpful if needed.

1BadTundra

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I'm going to do that when I pull the coils to do my plugs this season.

1BadTundra

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I purchased a 242 with the same engine build date as yours. Mine had the upgraded TC. However to give you the peace a mind I would pull the valve cover to confirm. It takes very little effort and I use pull very liberally. After taking the bolts out, all I really did is pull up a couple inches on the front of the valve cover closet to me in the cockpit of the boat and it’s right there. Didn’t move or replace any gasket and haven’t had any leaks. Again really easy to do and the video on the first page of this thread is helpful if needed.
I think I can manage... It will definitely ease my mind. The purchase date of this boat originally was 9/16. So I hope it was fixed at least at the dealer if not equipped from the factory.

1BadTundra

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I did my plugs today, pulled the valve cover just to rest my nerves LoL... I have the 5 link timing chain. Yep, I'm good now!!!

BBottoms

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, just lost my timing chain on my 2015 AR240. Actually the 2nd one for my boat, first was starboard engine at around 50 hours, before I bought it, and replaced under warranty. Today was port engine at around 332 hours. Took off out of a cove, was just getting up to speed, and port engine just quit. Limped back to the nearest marina on one motor. Port engine still turns over but obviously not turning the top end. Fortunately I was at my home lake, out for a quick run to flush out the salt as we spent last week on spring break in Florida with the boat on the Gulf. At least it didn't happen there. Planning a Bimini trip this summer too so it sucks, but not as much as it could have.

I'm well out of YES warranty and based on a few threads I've read it sounds pretty much no chance Yamaha will cover it anymore so I'll be looking for a used motor or other options.

Are these interference engines? Any chance of just replacing the chain and associated components or is there likely other damage? I can do pretty much any mechanical work myself.