• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Have you had a 1.8 timing chain failure, was it in warranty and how has Yamaha handled it?

Tobes

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I'm coming up on the end of my warranty. Hours are about 200. Probably just replace the chain once warranty is done. Also hope it goes during warranty.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sure would be nice if someone made a beefier chain that fit the existing gears/sprockets. It affects only a few as far as the board can tell based on reports, but the failure is quite catastrophic.

Hard to say who should worry. Maybe a good opportunity for extended warranty/mechanical insurance that would cover it?

Skysurfer2010

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I stopped watching the forums for years. Been happy with my 2012 242LS. I saw this thread this week. Went to the dealer today. Will likely be trading up to a 2020 242 SE.

In 8 years I hope the 2020 doesn't have some big issue to be worried about!

Thanks for helping me spend my money guys!! 🤣

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hopefully the only issue of note is the chain which has been redesigned!!!! Although there is some new articulating piece of equipment very close to the bottom...watch out!

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just to clarify, the timing chain part has changed for 2016 MY.
It is shared between N/A, SHO and SVHO models.
The old part is 94591-66152-00, new 94591-74152-00. Here is the visual:

14-15 Chain 3Link/4Link
View attachment 43889

16 Chain 4Link/5Link
View attachment 43890

EDIT: As @haknslash already pointed out, there is more to the "fix-it" kit that just the TC. The TC is the crux though, and should be easy to tell.

--
Hi Swatski,

I found answer I read over. No way to update TC to 5/4 if my motor was made in 13.
So I ordered a new one to replace 6yo one I guess.

Anyways, glad to see other SDF member👍

Last edited:

sikm3

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
So I have a Sept '14 motor in my AR192. If I read your message correctly, we can't upgrade the chain to the newer style?

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So I have a Sept '14 motor in my AR192. If I read your message correctly, we can't upgrade the chain to the newer style?

That's what I interpreted as chain is beefier unless the cams and crank gear is changed the new chain won't work.
Here is the kit though

Last edited:

sikm3

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
ive seen the upgrade kit. Has anyone on this forum installed it?

Robconn

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
i Had a TC failure under warranty. (70hrs) Engine was rebuilt and upgraded chain installed by marina shop.

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Looking at a 2016 242 and verified today the engine build date was 5/15. I spoke to Yamaha and they directed me to shopyamaha.com to look up the part number based on model year. When you do that and compare TC part numbers for the 2016 model year vs a 2015 model there is clearly a difference. Basically the website shows the different part numbers that @swatski stated a few post ago. All Yamaha would say is the new timing chains were used in the 2016 model boats but couldn’t validate/confirm further using the specific hull ID. I saw the above post where @ks9mm validated his TC upgrade on his 5/15 build date, but I’ve also read 7/15 as a key indicator build date. Has there been anyone that has been able to visually confirm with their own eyes a 2016 boat with the old TC?

ks9mm

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looking at a 2016 242 and verified today the engine build date was 5/15. I spoke to Yamaha and they directed me to shopyamaha.com to look up the part number based on model year. When you do that and compare TC part numbers for the 2016 model year vs a 2015 model there is clearly a difference. Basically the website shows the different part numbers that @swatski stated a few post ago. All Yamaha would say is the new timing chains were used in the 2016 model boats but couldn’t validate/confirm further using the specific hull ID. I saw the above post where @ks9mm validated his TC upgrade on his 5/15 build date, but I’ve also read 7/15 as a key indicator build date. Has there been anyone that has been able to visually confirm with their own eyes a 2016 boat with the old TC?
Don’t dwell on it. Just remove the cover and see for yourself. It’s easy enough. as in like super easy to remove. No new gaskets needed. Just remove and reinstall.

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Don’t dwell on it. Just remove the cover and see for yourself. It’s easy enough. as in like super easy to remove. No new gaskets needed. Just remove and reinstall.
I would but it’s not mine yet, trying to figure out if want to pursue or not.

ks9mm

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
i had multiple conversations with Yamaha and they did confirm that all 2016 model boats had proper timing chain.

personally, if the rest of the boat is good and price is reasonable, I would put serious but contingent deposit in sellers hands and remove the cover to check. If chain is good, give him the rest. If it’s not good, take deposit back.

ks9mm

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Also, for parts you have to look at model year. Not build date.

Edmarcha

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a 2013 SX190, bought 3 years ago seldom used less than 100 hrs, but every yearly oil change. I open valve cover and kick start to rotate chain and eyeball just for sanity checks. And it looks solid so far.
I think I agree with some TC threads that this is more on those Yamaha Jet Ski / Waverunners where they have it on WOT most of the time. Just my opinion.

jmargo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Didn't they change to a black painted block on 2016 models ?

Robconn

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
i had multiple conversations with Yamaha and they did confirm that all 2016 model boats had proper timing chain.

personally, if the rest of the boat is good and price is reasonable, I would put serious but contingent deposit in sellers hands and remove the cover to check. If chain is good, give him the rest. If it’s not good, take deposit back.
I find that statement not entirely true on behalf of Yamaha. You can tell Yamaha to put me on a conference call if you want. I bought a 16 new at 35 hrs it failed at year two. Yes they took care of it, however, to say all the 16 Yamahas did not tc design flaws is inaccurate if they made that that claim I would ask them to make that assertion in writing and should a failure occur what on their part would they be willing to do to get you back on the water. It would be interesting to see if they double down or back track on claims made. You are doing your due diligence. A used boat will have the gremlins worked out that sometimes appear with new boats off the showroom floor.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I find that statement not entirely true on behalf of Yamaha. You can tell Yamaha to put me on a conference call if you want. I bought a 16 new at 35 hrs it failed at year two. Yes they took care of it, however, to say all the 16 Yamahas did not tc design flaws is inaccurate if they made that that claim I would ask them to make that assertion in writing and should a failure occur what on their part would they be willing to do to get you back on the water. It would be interesting to see if they double down or back track on claims made. You are doing your due diligence. A used boat will have the gremlins worked out that sometimes appear with new boats off the showroom floor.
While the 14 and 15 year models had the (problem)
Chain issues, there has been older than 14 failures as well as up to 18 models fail. So any year can have a failure but the main cause for concern is the 14 and 15 year models

ks9mm

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

so your 2016 yamaha motor had 4 link timing chain?? what was build date on the motor?

I can only share what yamaha told me.

personally, I still took cover off one motor to see what I have. it was 5 link chain on 5/15 motor build date.