• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Have you had a 1.8 timing chain failure, was it in warranty and how has Yamaha handled it?

WilCo

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My 2012 SX190 (260 hours) stalled on Saturday....chain busted! I bought the boat used last summer...is it worth fixing it as I fear it will happen again and as everyone has noted, it's not cheap? Anyone have a contact at Yamaha who helped them get the claim approved for a boat that is out of warranty?
Yamaha corporate is 800-962-7926. Option 6 at the time. Good luck!

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The fix includes some changes to allow the new thicker chain. It should not happen again.

WildBillF1

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Happened to me last year with friends on board during mother’s day outing on lake. Boat was out for repair for 8 weeks. All under warranty. Was a 2016 AR192. Boat had 70 hours on it. Happy with service manager keeping me informed of progress. Hope yours is a quicker repair. Mine was a result of waiting for parts to be shipped in. Yamaha rep questioned service reps request for certain parts which contributed to delays. I think looking back Yamaha needs to place a high priority not just selling boats but getting disabled boats back on water.
Great! I thought the timing chain problem got sorted out on the 2016 models. :confused:

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ah, shoot, I think you are right, the thicker chain was introduced earlier!!!! Better look it up. My bad!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great! I thought the timing chain problem got sorted out on the 2016 models. :confused:
IIRC all 1.8s made after 7/15 got the new set. Many MY16 would not.

--

rrmidden

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
IIRC all 1.8s made after 7/15 got the new set. Many MY16 would not.

--
That's what I recall as well. My 2015 212X had an engine build date of 10/14 if I recall correctly, so I'm sure there are 2016 Models with pre-7/15 Engines in them.

spaceman2

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yamaha knows they have had problems and they should have to do a recall just like in auto industry and make it right. This is crazy that the people have to take the valve covers off to check etc. Yamaha better step up to the plate. Someone might take them to court in the future if it happens to them and tears the motor up.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Someone posted on one of the Facebook groups last night about their chain breaking. I wonder how many break we don't hear about because they aren't members here or aren't on social media?

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yamaha knows they have had problems and they should have to do a recall just like in auto industry and make it right. This is crazy that the people have to take the valve covers off to check etc. Yamaha better step up to the plate. Someone might take them to court in the future if it happens to them and tears the motor up.
If they have been taking care of the problem they are doing the right thing when they stop that’s when it’s a real problem . They are not that common there are thousands of members and only a few reports .

Edmarcha

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I hope so too. @Harshhobgoblin recently had his "new-to-him" used 2013 SX190 break its timing chain at less than 50 hours IIRC. He bought it used and it didn't come with YES but Yamaha stepped up and will be giving him all new parts for a motor rebuild including the upgraded 2016 hardware.
I know this post is old, and I just bought a 2013 SX190 50 hours. I am 3rd owner.
How much will it cost for broken chain replacement, also please confirm anyone that this is a non-interference engine.
Is this a DIY, I’ve replaced car timing belts couple of times recently on my 2011 Acura TL SHAWD, on Integra and Honda Civic.
Seems like you need to pull engine out by looking at few pics videos I’ve seen.

Thanks

Edm

Last edited:

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I know this post is old, and I just bought a 2013 SX190 50 hours with Speedo not working, I’ve since fixed it. I am 3rd owner.
How much will it cost for broken chain replacement, also please confirm anyone that this is a non-interference engine.
Is this a DIY, I’ve replaced car timing belts couple of times recently on my 2011 Acura TL SHAWD, on Integra and Honda Civic.
Seems like you need to pull engine out by looking at few pics videos I’ve seen.

Thanks

Edm
They're interference engines so broken timing chain = new engine or complete rebuild pistons, head, valves, etc.

Edmarcha

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
They're interference engines so broken timing chain = new engine or complete rebuild pistons, head, valves, etc.
Forgot to mention that Boat 2013 SX190 does not have a broken timing chain, just weary and finding out information and options if it happens, fingers crossed.

So far boat runs fine, strong... took it out couple of times, planning out some trips comes spring, around Philadelphia.

Thanks

Last edited:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Those issues have been addressed in the newer engines no reports of that happening in the past few years

Edmarcha

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've scanned through the thread, does anyone know if there is a sound with an impeding failure? I have a 2011 with 204 hours on it. bought about 4 hours ago. During the test float I did not notice it but the next time I took the boat out I noticed a vibration (felt it in the boat as well). Per @Bruce I pulled the jet pump and started the motor. The vibration/sound is much louder and clangs. I had thought it was the intermediate bearing but Bruce mentioned that he thought it could be the timing chain. it sounds like marbles in a thick metal can towards the back of the motor (towards the transom.)
I'll be posting a full thread tonight but thought I'd look up the timing chain.

My concern is that it also kind of sounds like a miss. Nothing in the oil when I changed it this weekend (and the spark plugs looked the same for both motors). No error's on the cluster. I have ordered a YDS module but it's still on it's way.
That’s mine. I’m dropping it off at the dealer Saturday on the way back home from vacation. She went down without warning on our 2nd day of vacation. It’s a 2012 so it’s out of warranty I assume. After talking to the dealer it sounds like there is a chance Yamaha may fix it. Sounds like Yamaha has done that for other customers according to the dealer (but most were jetskis I think). Won’t know until the dealer files a claim. Still sucks we have to rent a boat now for a few days and won’t be able to do any more water sports. Boat is probably out for the season and if I have to pay the 10-12K repair bill I am sure I will have to sell the boat.
@Erikvanden Just wondering if Yamaha covered TC on warranty.
Thanks
Edm

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
They covered mine & it does a lot of damage to the pistons and valves when it goes bad, I believe they use a wider chain , wider gears and possibly a different head not 100 percent sure on the head I believe there is a post about actually inspecting the chain for signs of failure I did a big write up on my chain hatching several years ago if you do a search, basically it just shuts off with no warning.

Last edited:

miket

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My SX190 (2012) with 260 hours shut down without warning.....chain broke and totaled the engine (April 2019). Had to put in a new engine at a cost of just under $18,000 (almost one year later due to the tech's backlog). Yamaha did modify their 1.8L engines in 2016 which includes a wider chain set-up, among other enhancements....the service tech (who was a former Yamaha employee in their engine department), after hours of research with Yamaha tech and viewing it first-hand, confirmed the new engine is the new set-up.

Based on my unfortunate experience, if you have a 1.8L engine(s) built prior to 2016, trade your boat in for a new one....it can break without warning and if it does, you are out $18,000 per engine. Looking back, wish I would have known this information, which is why I am posting it.

Edmarcha

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@miket is that $18000.00 you have to spend for new engine or repair, for that amount a used 2016 SX190 with better timing belt would be an option I would think.

is that ballpark amount for 1.8L engine repair?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@miket that totally totally sucks! And thats pretty outrageous number as far as cost of replacement! Major hit for most people.

That said, I’m not sure I share the “trade your boat for a new one” opinion, things break and as far as Yamaha inboards - the rates of catastrophic failure are fairly low, even with pre-2016 1.8 TC fiasco.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@miket is that $18000.00 you have to spend for new engine or repair, for that amount a used 2016 SX190 with better timing belt would be an option I would think.
I think any 2016+ 190 in good condition would be over 20k.
I believe the new 1.8 engines are $12,000 not installed. Yes. It’s crazy, for what those are... but it is what it is.