• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Have you had a 1.8 timing chain failure, was it in warranty and how has Yamaha handled it?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great news, Yamaha is covering the repair under goodwill. My boy Mike at Kelowna Yamaha did me a solid on this one.

My question now is for the guys that did have a timing chain failure on the 1.8HO, did any of you experience TC problems with the revised chain? Also, (for dual engine) did they replace or inspect the other chain in the other engine? Is it likely that my other engine will experience the same problem?

To me, it just seems like a ticking time bomb for the TC on the other engine and I'd be worried about how far I'm heading out. It took me more than 4 hours to get home when the TC broke and it wasn't like a comfortable or romantic cruise. 6000rpm on one engine going about 10mph ain't sexy at all.
There is an upgrade TC kit that was sold on greenhulk, most say it is not worth it for N/A engines given low probabilities of this (?). I'll look for the link, it is not cheap.

--

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
They do not fix them if they don't blow. I had one hatch at 3 00 plus hrs. and it was fixed by warranty but the other has 630 hours and runs just fine never had a problem. You know the old saying and so does Yamaha.

Robconn

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I'm glad that they are covering timing chain repair. I would expect Yamaha to recommend changing out timing chain on the other engine. I can’t see them avoiding it and having a repeat of same issue. It’s cheaper for them to replace timing chain than to rebuild an engine. I have less than 20 hours on new engine. The boat responds as it should. Finger crossed with upgraded timing chain. I have a 2016 AR192. So only one engine. Atleast you didn’t have a $340 tow bill that Yamaha will only reimburse $50.00 of it. You bet I have towing coverage now. Not sexy either being towed. Actually, pretty embarrassing when I had friends aboard. Expect two months in service center not including parts on back order.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It’s not just the timing chain that has to be replaced/upgraded. The new chain has more links/wider and wouldn’t work on the 2015 and older cam gears.

For those that were asking for the upgraded kit it is $1,500 (per engine) from greenhulk

https://www.4-tecperformance.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4050

Includes:
Crankshaft
Timing Chain
Cam Sprockets
Dampeners (chain guides)
Cam Gear bolts

Last edited:

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
On a good engine, how much tech time would be billed to install? Wild guess?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I’d guess if you have the tools they could do it in 4 hours maybe but totally wild guessing there lol

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
It’s not just the timing chain that has to be replaced/upgraded. The new chain has more links/wider and wouldn’t work on the 2015 and older cam gears.

For those that were asking for theupgraded kit it is $1,500 (per engine) from greenhulk

https://www.4-tecperformance.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4050

Includes:
Crankshaft
Timing Chain
Cam Sprockets
Dampeners (chain guides)
Cam Gear bolts
When talking to my wife about upgrading this is one of thr main concerns.
I would want to budget for upgrading both motors on a 240 before buying used.
This means the jump to a 2016(i think?) When they had the better chains, is not as big over a 2011 as it would otherwise be.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
246 hours SVHO 1.8 AR 192 Timing Chain Failure, no warning died in water.
Engine Manufactured 10/14, was there a recall? Any help from Yamaha?
I believe that engine is the SVO version, but regardless i have heard of Yamaha repairing NA engines out of warranty so why not the SVO engine. It is definitely worth looking into.
And no there is no recall on any SVHO, SVO, or NA timing chain failure

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You mean SHO @Neutron ;)

That's unfortunate to see @jimdolinski :(. There have been members on here with out of warranty boats that had their timing chain break and Yamaha covered it. They know the problem exists. No recall was issued so my hunch is that's their way of quietly taking care of the issue. Hopefully you or your dealer can get some help from them. Sorry to see ;(

Last edited:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
contact your local dealer and see if Yamaha is still covering that

Robconn

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Happened to me last year with friends on board during mother’s day outing on lake. Boat was out for repair for 8 weeks. All under warranty. Was a 2016 AR192. Boat had 70 hours on it. Happy with service manager keeping me informed of progress. Hope yours is a quicker repair. Mine was a result of waiting for parts to be shipped in. Yamaha rep questioned service reps request for certain parts which contributed to delays. I think looking back Yamaha needs to place a high priority not just selling boats but getting disabled boats back on water.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Oddly my 1 engine blew a chain around 300 hours but my other one is still running fine with 700 hours on it.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
246 hours SVHO 1.8 AR 192 Timing Chain Failure, no warning died in water.
Engine Manufactured 10/14, was there a recall? Any help from Yamaha?
Did you buy it new? If yes, your dealer will be the best first contact. Otherwise you will need to deal with Yamaha customer service. They have fixed this in and out of warranty, so far. This is a KNOWN issue, and no recall. Also check with the ski guys on greenhulk, if you must.

Keep us posted. Hope this will be taken care of for you, there were several members here out of warranty with the same issue. TTBOMK all taken care of but with various timing.

--

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What else can we look at while this thing is apart... it's a 2011 242.

Turns over no spark at all to all 4 plugs.20190531_111625.jpg

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Lanyard connector. Rear hatch switch. Rear hatch does 2 things, kill ignition and prevents cranking. (Neutral switch and kill switch, on separate parts) lanyard kills ingition but allows cranking.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What else can we look at while this thing is apart... it's a 2011 242.

Turns over no spark at all to all 4 plugs.View attachment 95679
Here are the pics of new and old TC if that’s what you are looking for?
Just to clarify, the way I understand this debacle, the timing chain part has changed for 2016 MY.
It is shared between N/A, SHO and SVHO models.
The old part is 94591-66152-00, new 94591-74152-00. Here is the visual:

14-15 Chain 3Link/4Link

16 Chain 4Link/5Link

@ROGUE111 - thank for the pics! Looks like you do not have that problem.

--

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Tried all the basic things lanyard, hatch, neutral, checking fuse at ECU. Heard timing chain might cause something so we took that apart and found the link with break in it.

I'm no mechanic by any means and we didnt have multimeter at his boat/dock.

He was hoping it was loose connection since it started fine before oil/spark plug change.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Make sure the TPS isnt being left open. It will kill spark if throttle it open as a safety feature as to not launch forward once the engine fires.
Most 4wheelers, jetskis and some jet boats do this

miket

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My 2012 SX190 (260 hours) stalled on Saturday....chain busted! I bought the boat used last summer...is it worth fixing it as I fear it will happen again and as everyone has noted, it's not cheap? Anyone have a contact at Yamaha who helped them get the claim approved for a boat that is out of warranty?