• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Have you had a 1.8 timing chain failure, was it in warranty and how has Yamaha handled it?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I am not sure exactly, I purchased it July of 2016
It would be nice if your dealership could send you a picture of your engine build date. I'd like to know if your engine was built prior to the upgraded parts or if it had the upgraded timing chain parts. The engine build date is located on top of the engine. The plastic engine cover has to be removed of course but I'm sure they are well past that point. Shouldn't be a hard thing for them to do for you (and us lol). If your engine is built prior to 7/2015 it is said to not have the upgraded components.

image.png
image.png

Robconn

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I will follow up and have an answer for you. I was told at the service center as well at the sales center that this was a rare problem. I was also told that the Timing chain failure was thought to be from "babying the engine" . Not sure how that's possible on an almost new engine with low hours.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Wow I would say be careful believing anything that person tells you Talk about making things up . I have over 600 hours on a 2014 1800 NO problem, I had 360 hours on another 2014 1800 timing chain failed without warning. I honestly believe there is no connection to the operation of the engine riding it easy or hard Both my engines are subject to the same riding style . Same operator I swap from one to the other to Keep the hours close I think there may have been a bunch of defective chains hell I ran a supercharged 1800 over 650 hours without a problem with the chain and those were supposed to be the ones that hatched the most often

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If your engine is built prior to 7/2015 it is said to not have the upgraded components.
A caveat w/this being an SHO, not 1.8 N/A the 7/15 may or may not apply - would be good to know.
@Robconn The older TCs that fail have 3-links (I think), the newer -4 and different up tensioners etc. - if I were you I would insist on getting the new/improved parts swapped in place of the old ones. Otherwise you will be at risk again. I do not believe the new beefed up parts break.

--

Robconn

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I agree, I think it's Blake shifting to minimize their liability.

Robconn

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I will certainly insist on the more improved tc. Thanks for the info. I will keep you posted.

Robconn

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
The date of manufacture on the title is March 9th, 2016, so most likely did not have upgraded parts. I am calling service manager to make sure replacement is the upgraded parts. Thanks again.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The date of manufacture on the title is March 9th, 2016, so most likely did not have upgraded parts. I am calling service manager to make sure replacement is the upgraded parts. Thanks again.
MFG date of the boat is not the same as the engine build date though. You need to confirm the date on the ENGINE.

If your engine had a build date of 2016 then it SHOULD have the upgraded parts. Have them check how many links are on the chain. If it's 3 wide then its the old style. If there are more than 3 wide it's the new parts.

Robconn

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Just spoke with service manager, said engine was replaced with upgraded timing chain kit and should be ready by this weekend. When I speak to him next I will inquire about engine build date.

Robconn

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I check my states lemon laws, not sure what a reasonable repair time but it will be 60 days by this weekend.

Robconn

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Just spoke with service manager, said engine was replaced with upgraded timing chain kit and should be ready by this weekend. When I speak to him next I will inquire about engine build date.
Update: Service manager says boat won’t be ready b/c a gasket is on back order. Now 60 days in shop. Called Yamaha and voiced my concern over timing chains, service bulletins, recalls, safety, turn around times, delay of work due to Yamaha requiring service manager to explain invoices of each part. The more I call, I realize it’s Yamaha, not the service center, yamaha dictated that the engine would be rebuilt rather than swapped, their concern about returning boat to water with the least delay was not a concern nor was I given a choice. I asked Yamaha service rep if he followed up on my boat since May. He said no. I ask why. Customer service? Sounds like Yamaha dropped the ball before and after my issue.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I cant comment on the customer service end of this but can say that yamaha might not offer a "complete long block" engine.
That is why yours is getting "rebuilt".
I am a Toyota Tech and can tell you we don't offer long blocks. The most complete part would be a bare block with only crank and pistons. No plugs seals, etc... nothing. Even heads are bear with no valves etc...
This puts complete liability on dealer and off the manufacturer. Sucks but i can see why.

I can say if it were me without a new boat for 60 days, i would be their biggest pain in the ass. I would be at the dealer every other day, on the phone with Yamaha, and doing asking the dealer for the exact part number that is " on backorder " and researching it myself

Robconn

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Thank you for the insight, not being a mechanic I have limited awareness of how things are done. In the very beginning I ask why not replace engine instead of piece by piece. The response I received was it should take two weeks and you’ll essentially have a new engine. The service manager never did explain in detail the process. That was 2 months ago. I agree “the squeaky wheel gets the grease”. I will keep you posted.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you for the insight, not being a mechanic I have limited awareness of how things are done. In the very beginning I ask why not replace engine instead of piece by piece. The response I received was it should take two weeks and you’ll essentially have a new engine. The service manager never did explain in detail the process. That was 2 months ago. I agree “the squeaky wheel gets the grease”. I will keep you posted.
Thanks for keeping this updated.
The engine manufacture date is stamped on the head cover under the plastic top cover. If they really replace all the TC parts you should be in good shape! Sucks with the wait, no doubt.

--

Robconn

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Have boat back now a week and found oil in ski locker and bilge. Upon initial inspection bilge and ski locker were dry and clean. So I know this is new. I checked oil filter and was not leaking. Service manager said he will place it on trailer and inspect gaskets and hoses. I have used it less than 2 hrs since rebuild. Hope this will be a quick easy fix.

Robconn

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Service manager claims it is not from engine. This was a cleaner and oil from repair job and they did not let boat drain or flush well enough. He said they will pull boat out of water and re- clean, flush. Just irritated that boat was out of commission for 2 months and will have to come out again, although not more than a day, due to sloppy work. Luckily I did not place expensive pfd’s in ski locker. Everything that was in there was coated with oil mixture.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
E80329BA-4370-4985-933B-F1AA0A82E32B.jpeg Posted on Facebook today. 2012 AR190 with 180 hours. Not sure if he is a member here.

Erikvanden

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That’s mine. I’m dropping it off at the dealer Saturday on the way back home from vacation. She went down without warning on our 2nd day of vacation. It’s a 2012 so it’s out of warranty I assume. After talking to the dealer it sounds like there is a chance Yamaha may fix it. Sounds like Yamaha has done that for other customers according to the dealer (but most were jetskis I think). Won’t know until the dealer files a claim. Still sucks we have to rent a boat now for a few days and won’t be able to do any more water sports. Boat is probably out for the season and if I have to pay the 10-12K repair bill I am sure I will have to sell the boat.

Robconn

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I feel your pain. There should of at the least been a service bulletin about the problem. However, a recall is warranted. Not to mention a major safety issue. Shame on Yamaha for downplaying issue. I’ll be interested to see if a class action suite arrises. My engine did the exact same thing. I had the extended warranty and took 2 months to repair.

Erikvanden

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I feel your pain. There should of at the least been a service bulletin about the problem. However, a recall is warranted. Not to mention a major safety issue. Shame on Yamaha for downplaying issue. I’ll be interested to see if a class action suite arrises. My engine did the exact same thing. I had the extended warranty and took 2 months to repair.

It seems like Yamaha is taking care of a lot of customers with blown engines. I assume that is taking care of lawsuits. I think we are still at the beginning of this though. The first few years of warranties are going up so I wonder what they are going to be doing if they start refusing claims. Fingers cross on this one