• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Help on water! Starboard engine shut down

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Been there done that, I was just cruising along about 35 mph and the engine just shut off like the lanyard was pulled, but as soon as I tried to restart it I heard the engine cranking really fast and knew what it was

Bizywk

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Ouch! Very sorry that happened to you. Please keep us updated. I'd really like to know the root cause.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I believe they had a batch of faulty chains , research it, they went to a heavier and wider chain but it is very expensive and Yamaha should have continued to cover the bad ones even out of warranty since they followed a pattern of failures but chose not to do a recall. Even though my issue was covered under warranty it took a couple months to get it back and the resale values are effected negatively if you have one of the effected years

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
And now the insult to injury , what about the second engine ?
Will he have to worry and possibly experience the same issue later on with the second one.

Bizywk

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I believe they had a batch of faulty chains , research it, they went to a heavier and wider chain but it is very expensive and Yamaha should have continued to cover the bad ones even out of warranty since they followed a pattern of failures but chose not to do a recall. Even though my issue was covered under warranty it took a couple months to get it back and the resale values are effected negatively if you have one of the effected years
I wasn't tracking this issue, but humans are imperfect. Do you know where I can find more info on which models/years were affected by the less beefy chain?

These aren't like car engines, and there isn't anything in my service manual about a timing chain maintenance schedule. The closest thing I can find is the manufacturer's recommendation to check valve clearance height every 200hrs/2y, but then again it seems like even the glove compartment gets checked at that interval. Is there a suggested timing chain maintenance interval or is everyone supposed to head back to the dealer every other year for a tear down?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Your year 2018 is fine it first showed up on the super charged models and then on the NA models I had 2014 engines and those were NA models I have heard of the super charged issues going back to around 2010 but I know they seemed to have the issue corrected late in 2015 or early 2016 I have 2021 engines now

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Pop the Intake cover off.
Its a few bolts and will allow you to see TC damage/failure.
Do you have insurance?

Bizywk

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Your year 2018 is fine it first showed up on the super charged models and then on the NA models I had 2014 engines and those were NA models I have heard of the super charged issues going back to around 2010 but I know they seemed to have the issue corrected late in 2015 or early 2016 I have 2021 engines now
Awesome. Thanks!

Nivekot

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
How many hours are roughly on the engine?

David Martin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ouch.........sure looks like timing chain is in trouble. Sorry Man but its rebuildable.

Kernel

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Just1more

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I was told my insurance would not cover mechanical failure. Update to my boat, I am having both engines replaced.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
who is paying for it and why just for future reference

Just1more

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I’m paying for it. Insurance said it was mechanical. Might as well have two new engines instead of just one. Will make selling easier. Unless I keep it and sell the 2021 Yamaha I bought. Have not yet decided.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
So it was a 2015 boat ? there were some serial numbers that had the bad chains if memory serves me correctly and if the engine with the chain issue was in that range of numbers I think you may have a case to discuss with a consumer lawyer this was a well documented issue and also the other engine may be just fine I had a , 2014 hatch a chain at around 360 hours and the other was just fine had nearly 900 hours on it when I sold it with no problems. If the second engine serial number did not fall into the problem list you may be wasting your money . A little research may be worth it.

Just1more

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Will look into. Thank you!