• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Help Opinions please

View attachment 190129

I would agree with the above.

I would also add the 24' boat has a head, may or may not be important.

The slightly longer hull on the 24' would also probably be a little bit better in rougher water.

Personally, if I was buying, I would go with the 2023 "222" as I like the redesign and having a 5 or 7 year newer boat.

Jim
This looks like the route I will be going. Thank you

:Welcome:

Hours in the 30's? I'd be wary of 5-7 year old boats with less hours than I put on during a summer season. They either were not used much, or worse they were neglected and sat rusting for years. Even occasional use or light use of 10 hours a season would be 50-70 hours by now. I wouldn't buy a used boat with so few hours on them unless they were 2021 or 22 models. These Yamaha engines are very reliable and well made, but sitting idle for years is not good for any motor. Make sure you have them thoroughly inspected by a marine surveyor and insist on a water test before making a decision. If they refuse to either request, walk away as they might be trying to dump the boat's problems onto someone else.

You don't mention where you'll be boating...that can influence your needs.
But based on your stated needs so far, why not look at the 19ft models? The supercharged 195 models perform very well and are large enough for 2-3 people comfortably. Drop by a dealer and sit in them...a "hands on" experience helps you to gauge your needs. The newer 195 models are very roomy for a 19ft due to the layout and they have the same great dual level swim platform. The 195's will hit 50mph with a single engine. My bigger and heavier twin engine 212s hits 53mph...not much difference due to the larger boat and greater weight.
Thank you

Hours in the 30's? I'd be wary of 5-7 year old boats with less hours than I put on during a summer season. They either were not used much, or worse they were neglected and sat rusting for years. Even occasional use or light use of 10 hours a season would be 50-70 hours by now. I wouldn't buy a used boat with so few hours on them unless they were 2021 or 22 models. These Yamaha engines are very reliable and well made, but sitting idle for years is not good for any motor. Make sure you have them thoroughly inspected by a marine surveyor and insist on a water test before making a decision. If they refuse to either request, walk away as they might be trying to dump the boat's problems onto someone else.

But based on your stated needs so far, why not look at the 19ft models? The supercharged 195 models perform very well and are large enough for 2-3 people comfortably. Drop by a dealer and sit in them...a "hands on" experience helps you to gauge your needs. The newer 195 models are very roomy for a 19ft due to the layout and they have the same great dual level swim platform. The 195's will hit 50mph with a single engine. My bigger and heavier twin engine 212s hits 53mph...not much difference due to the larger boat and greater weight.
I finally found a dealer that took the time to talk to me today.

guessing the 242xe should have the larger bimini?
i'd love to have that, but don't think it works in my storage spot...as i have to lower tower to get in.
so check specs and compare to your storage
I have a large garage for storage

Closest dealer 2 hours away

I added one more to the list, 6. Where are you going to use the boat?

As @Julian mentioned, what is the price of the 242?
As @adrianp89 mentioned the 242 has 2’ more room. I’d go and sit in / on both the 222 and the 242 to see which one suits you, keeping in mind getting the smallest boat that will get the job done. When I was getting my boat my friend with the list was leaning towards the 195 FSH Sport, but I wanted the 21’ FSH‘s bow seating and storage, in the end my friend mentioned he was glad I got the 21’ for the storage and the extra room, in my case the 21’ has a much better bow area and two people can fish up there. The 195 FSH sport has a single supercharged 1.8L engine=250 hp, while mine has tge twin TR-1 engines=222 hp, I did give up some “performance“, and in return I got a boat that uses considerably less fuel, has greater range and can seat more people and has plenty of room for their gear. Because I own one I have to suggest looking at the 222 FSH Sport, 222 FSH Sport E, or even the 252/255 FSH boats, they are not as “loungy” as the bow riders, but a lot of my friends who never thought center console were pleasantly surprised at how much room there is on the center consoles. Check out @julians and Neil aka @OperationROL 222 FSH video here https://jetboaters.net/threads/2023-yamaha-222-fsh-sport-e-walkthrough-by-neil-and-julian.39332/

The 2023 222S and above have the 1.8L engines which are rated at 180HP which will give the best speed, the AR & SX have the TR-1 1049cc engines are rated at 111HP and are still plenty sporty and have better fuel economy. I’m assuming by your screen name you live in Dodge City KS which is at 2467’ elevation, best go with the 1.8L models if speed is going to be number one in your book.

The 2023 models have a 70 gallon fuel tank compared with the 2018’s 50 gallon tank.
The 2023 will have a factory warranty with an option to get an extended warranty. These boats are very reliable, but if anything goes wrong, especially something major you’ll be glad you have a warranty. That will have to be weighed against the lower price of the 18’.
Looks like the 242 has a fresh water shower, I don’t see that listed on the 222.
The 222 has swim up seating.
Etc Etc…. Download the Yamaha app and compare the features of the 222 vs. the 242 and compare that to your list of must haves, like to have.

You only live once and there aren’t any Uhauls following the hearse to the graveyard..
I love it 180 HP sounds so low when our truck does 1400 on N2O

I love it 180 HP sounds so low when our truck does 1400 on N2O

If it makes you feel better its technically 360hp. If you want something like your truck, your going to need a GP1800 lol.

If it makes you feel better its technically 360hp. If you want something like your truck, your going to need a GP1800 lol.
We had many jet skis Loved them. But now I need to drag a husband and a dog with me

We had many jet skis Loved them. But now I need to drag a husband and a dog with me

Easy fix, 2 GP1800Rs.

Jokes aside, fast boats are about more than power. Hull design is arguably a more important factor than power is. There was a friend of a friend who had a moomba or one of those wake boats with a supercharged ford 6.2L that sounded great. I would routinely absolutely embarass him in my sx230 when he would try to be fast. Granted, he sounded better, but he also had more time to listen to the sound because ehe was slower.

Last edited:
Back