• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Our first boat 2023 195s, short review.

evoixmr

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
First post. 1st boat with no boat driving experience. We are loving the boat so far.

The 2023 GPS auto rotates to the direction of the boat with an option for north up. No delay on the GPS at 30mph. The GPS also has an option to save waypoint and record routes. The information stays on the GPS even after cutting the power off.The GPS is also too bright,I set the day brightness to 40% and night bright ness to 5%. The Quartz sound system is loud, just need a little EQ adjustment, it has a decent bass.
1000005751.jpg

I learned about yamaha jet boat from this forum, YouTube. The only boat training that I received was from our water orientation, the guy that did the orientation owns a 242 limited S. During the orientation I noticed that I was over correcting, it was not the boat though, it was me not knowing when the steering was centered.

I search about the different mods to help with slow speed steering, then I found the thread about docking with NWM and TDE..
I did one mod to this boat and I recommend trying it before spending money on steering upgrades.
1000005756.jpg
Yes painters tape on the steering, roll enough so that you can feel it without looking at the steering wheel. The boat goes wherever the steering is pointed, along with the NWM and TDE, this boat is a breeze to drive and docking is not even an issue.

Thanks to all who posted to learn how to drive the boat instead of upgrading. If a non experience like me can learn it, I'm sure the ones coming from other boat will too.

We choose the 195s because, we where told that it fits in a 22' deep garage.
1000005695.jpg

evoixmr

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Congrats on the new boat. I recommend you take a boaters safety course to help you know the “rules of the road” and the basics of boat control. Boat Ed® | Official Boating License and Boater Safety Courses
@TimW451 you do not recommend that to any boat owners on forum. The boating safety course is not a recommendation, it is a requirement. Do you go to car forum and recommend that they get a driver's license?

Everyone that plan to buy a boat need to take that safety course, before even looking or buying a boat.

Last edited:

Maslin

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congrats!

Evo MR? A friend had one almost 20 years ago, that car was a blast.

evoixmr

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Congrats!

Evo MR? A friend had one almost 20 years ago, that car was a blast.
Yes, evo mr. I'm the original owner, just did the 60k maintenance...again.

Last edited:

3 green tornados

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Welcome to the group and boat ownership! These boats are great and easy to care for. If you have the time I highly recommend going to your closest launch and practicing the your loading and unloading routine several times on a slow weekday. Getting your routine down makes life so much easier especially if you are on the water on busy days.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
@TimW451 you do not recommend that to any boat owners on forum. The boating safety course is not a recommendation, it is a requirement. Do you go to car forum and recommend that they get a driver's license?

Everyone that plan to buy a boat need to take that safety course, before even looking or buying a boat.
Pretty sure Tim was just trying to be helpful and supportive. In many places the safety course is not a requirement, it’s recommended.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I also have electrical tape in green at top-dead-center on my steering wheel - helps A LOT when getting ready to pull someone or docking to know where the jets are pointed.

centurysouth

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
First post. 1st boat with no boat driving experience. We are loving the boat so far.

The 2023 GPS auto rotates to the direction of the boat with an option for north up. No delay on the GPS at 30mph. The GPS also has an option to save waypoint and record routes. The information stays on the GPS even after cutting the power off.The GPS is also too bright,I set the day brightness to 40% and night bright ness to 5%. The Quartz sound system is loud, just need a little EQ adjustment, it has a decent bass.
View attachment 202319

I learned about yamaha jet boat from this forum, YouTube. The only boat training that I received was from our water orientation, the guy that did the orientation owns a 242 limited S. During the orientation I noticed that I was over correcting, it was not the boat though, it was me not knowing when the steering was centered.

I search about the different mods to help with slow speed steering, then I found the thread about docking with NWM and TDE..
I did one mod to this boat and I recommend trying it before spending money on steering upgrades.
View attachment 202320
Yes painters tape on the steering, roll enough so that you can feel it without looking at the steering wheel. The boat goes wherever the steering is pointed, along with the NWM and TDE, this boat is a breeze to drive and docking is not even an issue.

Thanks to all who posted to learn how to drive the boat instead of upgrading. If a non experience like me can learn it, I'm sure the ones coming from other boat will too.

View attachment 202323

View attachment 202319

View attachment 202320

View attachment 202323
We just the 195S as well and its our first boat. Really having trouble docking so would appreciate it if you could direct me to the thread on docking you are referring to

steveinmd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
We just the 195S as well and its our first boat. Really having trouble docking so would appreciate it if you could direct me to the thread on docking you are referring to
Get a sense of what the current and/or winds are doing. You can sometimes use that to your advantage.

Come in at the dock at a 45° angle. The next bit is all done at idle speed. Just remember that every move you make with the steering takes a bit before there is a reaction. So we often over compensate because we don't get an immediate response.

With the boat coming in at a 45, adjust your speed by using the forward to neutral, fwd to neutral, fwd to neutral on your gate. (That is the first detent on throttle and back to neutral). When you feel you have the bow close enough, engage the first detent on reverse and steer the stern into the dock by steering towards it. It may very well require you to use full lock steering. You will notice the stern pulling into the dock now. It often times pushes the bow out at the same time. If you do the reverse move too early, your bow will end up too far away. Just start the fwd to neutral again.

evoixmr

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Center your steering wheel while on the trailer, check the articulating keel (rudder) under the boat. Once it's straight put a center mark on your steering wheel.

When docking, close the bimini if windy and go real slow. Engage no wake mode 1 or 2, then keep switching between forward first detent (TDE) , neutral, 1st detent reverse. Move the throttle to neutral or reverse if you going too fast, use reverse to slow down or stop the forward movement of the boat. Avoid over steering, point the steering where you want to go but do not do a full turn.

Let me know how it's goes for you.

See this video.
How to dock your yamaha jet boat How to Video - YouTube

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@HawaiiBreeze has a video or thread on this.

practice with a fender floating in the water. Guaranteed this boatonce you learn is sooooo very maneuverable

Rakkaone187

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Not necessarily. However, you are not wrong in that all new boaters should take a boating/water safety course. Regarding this as a requirement, all depends on each state’s statutes, regulations, and/or provisions signed into law. Recently, MN H.F. 2310 received final approval and was signed into law on 5/24/23. The provision gives the Commissioner of Dept. Of Natural Resources the responsibility to establish a water safety course and written test requirement before issuing individuals seeking a watercraft operator’s permit, which will be required in the future, depending on the adult operators date of birth. Alternatively, the law allows for reciprocity, but the individual must show proof of receiving/passing equal written test from the reciprocating jurisdiction. Adults born on or before July 1, 1987, will be exempt. Adults born after that date will be required to obtain a watercraft operator’s permit spread across five phases over the coming years. There is also a requirement for an individual to obtain a watercraft operators permit (12-17 years of age). See SF 2438 1st Engrossment - 93rd Legislature (2023 - 2024)

evoixmr

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
@Rakkaone187 I posted a new boat, why are you talking to me about safety course. If it's really important then just start a new thread.

Rakkaone187

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Read this thread wrong. My mistake.

DiggerPA

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I found this very helpful.... someone told me a long time ago. Steer than Gear. Example from forward > Neutral > Steer > then Throttle forward or reverse > Neutral > Steer > Throttle..... The boat reacts faster in my opinion.

LandSharksMom

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I found this very helpful.... someone told me a long time ago. Steer than Gear. Example from forward > Neutral > Steer > then Throttle forward or reverse > Neutral > Steer > Throttle..... The boat reacts faster in my opinion.
Going to keep this in my head tomorrow!!! :)

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Are they coming with Hertz radios from factory now?