• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Help - Port Engine Not Starting

I'm by no means an expert and its tough to see in your pic. The two larger red wires are the positives to your engines if I remember correctly and I'm just assuming the two larger black wires are the negatives to your engine is one of those negatives sandwiched between the others wires in there if so there maybe some on the negative terminal that don't belong and it may not be allowing the engine to ground properly. Try pulling all those wires of the grounds except the two engine wires and see if it works. Once again I could be very far off on this as there is a chance that may not matter.

The two wires without yellow crimp terminals were likely installed by the previous owner. I would unhook them unless you know what they do.

The positive for the house (accessory) circuit is most likely connected to the negative. It goes to the fuse holder mounted to a carpeted wall in your pictures. Switch it over and the accessories will start working and maybe, just maybe that engine will fire up.

The starter is located on the starboard side of the engine under the exhaust manifold. Seen here under the thermos switch. Take a hammer and lightly tap on it while someone tries to crank the engine.
IMG_1005rev1.jpg

My bet is that one of those wires on the negative belongs on the positive. Someone may have wired with the wrong colored wire or something. But it makes no sense to have 3 positives and 5 negatives. But 4 and 4 makes sense.

Important: I would not guess here or do trial and error. Trace the wires on the negative side. I agree that the 2 thick red are likely positives to engines and the 2 thick black likely negatives to engines. The rest--figure out where they go and I bet you find that two of the ones on the negative go to the same place. The importance of not guessing is that it is a good way to ruin electronics to switch the polarities to them. And a good way to start a battery fire to short that puppy out.

While I am here, once you get this figured out, cover at least that positive terminal on the battery! And preferably both. Even some electrical tape on there would be better than nothing. If something gets dropped on that battery, you could have a fire pretty easily. Get some proper terminal covers.

Looking closely at the photo looks like one of the black wires actually maybe a red wire inside the black casting
Look at the black wire with a blue line on it.

I think @Benny Sibbitt might be on to something here. @Mystic1906 pm me with your phone # if you still haven't figured this out and we can talk over the phone while I climb in my boat to verify.

Not yet. Dropped the boat off at the dealer to see what they are willing to offer for it on trade. I explained that I think i reconnected the cables wrong so I am waiting to see what they say about it. Will update tomorrow after they call me back. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Not yet. Dropped the boat off at the dealer to see what they are willing to offer for it on trade. I explained that I think i reconnected the cables wrong so I am waiting to see what they say about it. Will update tomorrow after they call me back. Keeping my fingers crossed.

What are you trading on?

@Mystic1906
What time are you going?
I am dropping my boat off tomorrow for service.

@robert843 Hoping to purchase a leftover 2016 Limited S if they can make the numbers work.

@Benny Sibbitt Dropped the boat today. Waiting on them to call me so I don't know what time yet.

So as an update. On day 3 and the dealership still has my boat "evaluating" it for a trade value. They say they have found a number of issues that concern them but I have yet to see this list of things. I am not optimistic that they are going to give me value that I would need to make this deal happen. They did concur that I had reconnected the cables to the battery incorrectly which caused my accessories to not work. I still don't know if the port engine problem was resolved but according to the salesperson I am dealing with she has promised me a report by 11 today. I am skeptical about that as well because she made the same promise about having it for me at 12 noon yesterday.

If all goes well (keeping fingers, toes, and eyes crossed) I should at best have a 2016 242 Limited S out of this, and if all goes horrible I will at least have a report on what I need to do to my boat to make it less problematic.

Ok so I got the boat back. Accessories are working after figuring out, as you guys said, one of the wires should have been on the other terminal. I am still struggling to figure out why the engine isn't starting. I can't find the starter from the pic provided by @buckbuck

Is there supposed to be a fuse behind the console?

IMG_0270.JPG
That's my port side engine

The dealer didn't diagnose the issue? I believe its under the header in your pic but I could be wrong in his pic the header is removed.

Any fuse inside the console would be an aftermarket accessory.

The starter is under each engine on the starboard side.

Is the motor doing anything after you got it back from dealer?

I second Bruce as there are no factory fuses under dash.

Doing nothing. I'm about done with that dealership. Taking the boat to a guy my friend recommended in the morning. Hopefully we can figure it out quickly.

Check the fuses in the ECU modules. If you blow those the stereo wont work and the engine wont turn over. There is 1 set of spare fuses inside the round cap. I hooked up my battery backwards once (long story) and it did exactlty that. Cam.

Back