• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Hey there.. looking at getting my first boat!

jjdurrant

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You guys are making sense.. I am starting to reconsider. The boat is nice, and all the right things appear to have been done, but I do not think I would get my money back if I decide it was too small next year. Other 270s are going for around $5k all day long. I am going to see what I can find for ls and lx. I am also worried about my size.. again, I am a big guy (6'1" 300lbs) and going out solo might be a little challenging in the Exciter.

jonw9

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
I have a buddy that has a Sugar Sands. I haven't been on it, but from what I recall, they are built nicely. I think the quality was a notch above the SeaDoos when I was shopping.

There is some discussion and info on www.jetboating.net you may be able to sift through (sorry if I am not supposed to mention other forums). the place seems pretty dead now, so I don't know how much active help you will get. Also looking through the classifieds I am seeing early 2000's selling for about$4k in 2012, so I am not sure what kind of deal your Buddy's Dad's boat is.

I am not sure what you were saying about having issues taking the Exciter out solo.

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
You guys are making sense.. I am starting to reconsider. The boat is nice, and all the right things appear to have been done, but I do not think I would get my money back if I decide it was too small next year. Other 270s are going for around $5k all day long. I am going to see what I can find for ls and lx. I am also worried about my size.. again, I am a big guy (6'1" 300lbs) and going out solo might be a little challenging in the Exciter.
I think I can speak for most that have replied to your post. No one wants to tell you to not buy something, because we like this one or that one or brand x over brand y. I believe everyone's input is from experience, and knowing how quick we went from the boat we thought we would like and then the next year having to try to sell it because it was too small.

jjdurrant

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
By taking it out solo I mean the boat tilting a bit too much because of my size :)

I received confirmation that the engines are indeed SBC.. argh.

--

They are the SBT premium engines. Don’t believe everything you read on the forum. I have been into Jet-Skis and Jet Boats since I was 19…I am 46 now. When someone posts something negative about SBT it is because they most likely f’d up and point the blame. I have had engines from them rebuilt for RACING and have never had a single issue…..matter of fact…when I rebuilt the pumps they sent the wrong bearings for the pump housings….I had ONE day to get it back on the water for a skiing trip. They overnighted the right bearings for AM DELIVERY no questions asked.

The problem with open forums is you never hear the positives only the negetives….

I’ll bring my Compression gage with me so you can see. PLUS these were installed by a yahama dealer. Don’t worry about SBT….they have been in business for over 15 years….that says something!

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You can see pictures of the LX210 that I sold for $12K in June of 2013 at http://968.2ward.com/index.php?ALBUM=LX210

This is the reason I suggest a LX210 over a LS2000

This is 11 miles off shore

The same guy is in the bow in this picture

The interior was factory and in awesome condition

This is the upgraded dash

We had so much fun with her!

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nice boat Bruce!

jjdurrant

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I sure wish you still had it Bruce.. I would kick up my budget.. I like the pad on the back!

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The LS and LX models both have three rows of seats.

The LX210 has the swim deck and is blue.

The AR210 has the swim deck and a tower and is red.

The LS2000, LX2000, LX210 and AR210 have the same hull and twin 135 HP engines.

I believe that all 210s came with the bimini and it was optional on the 2000s.

I am unsure if the swim deck was an option on 2000s. Some have added it. But the parts are extremely hard to find.

The 210s have a real ladder on the swim deck. The 2000s have flip down step.

210s have doors on the side of the storage areas in front of the helm and passenger seat as well as the windshield opening to access from the top. I believe 2000s only have access from the top.

Parts such as the windshields and storage buckets below them are no longer available.

The 1999 LS2000s have a screw in clean out plug. All others have the clamp in clean out plug. The screw in version is no longer available from Yamaha.

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
The problems with SBT engines are well documented all over the internet, not just on " an open forum" I don't recall anyone here bashing SBT. It would give me pause to wonder why he is so vehemently defending them. Jmo

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
The only difference in the 210 and the ls2000 is the extended platform on the back and the color, the ls has the platform built in just like the 210. @Bruce that was a nice boat.

jonw9

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
What about something like this? Doesn't have your swim platform, but it does seem to offer plenty of room, and could be a nearby option.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/boa/4576113199.html

I always like the back lounge on the challenger.
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/boa/4557670672.html

Although this has the 4-stroke, and maybe you could bring it down to the top of your range. The rear seating is more "couch" like which seems nicer.
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/boa/4563768468.html

jjdurrant

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yeah.. I am moving on from the Exciter.. I am very eager to buy something. But I need to make the right choice. And I can see the LX210 being it! Keep your eyes open for me guys.

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Wow!!! Almost identical to a ls / lx . 2003 is a lot better than a 98 or 99

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length

jjdurrant

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What about something like this? Doesn't have your swim platform, but it does seem to offer plenty of room, and could be a nearby option.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/boa/4576113199.html

I always like the back lounge on the challenger.
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/boa/4557670672.html

Although this has the 4-stroke, and maybe you could bring it down to the top of your range. The rear seating is more "couch" like which seems nicer.
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/boa/4563768468.html
Nice finds!! I always hear the SeaDoos are meh.. not so? Def going to check on the Sugar Sands.

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not trying to cloud your judgment, but just wanted to show these two pictures. Not many have seen or know about Sugar Sand. So, I just wanted to post a few pictures of this one. It was a 2004 Sugar Sand Tango. This one had a special "4+2" seating arrangement. I liked that seating arrangement really well. This is a 16' boat. Holds 6 people. It was definately small. But, it will help to show you what Sugar Sand has/had to offer.

EDIT TO ADD - We sold this boat for around $5,500 about 2 years ago.

DSC_0086.jpg DSC_0088.jpg

jonw9

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
Nice finds!! I always hear the SeaDoos are meh.. not so? Def going to check on the Sugar Sands.
As a '99 owner, I know thst there were issues of the oil injection on the 787 engines after some time. It sounds like this is common and similar to the Yamahas.
I am not sure what is 'meh' about them. I would own another right now if they were still being produced.

If it were me, I would look seriously at the 4tec challenger. one engine, closed loop cooling, 4 stroke. Only issue may be getting the supercharger checked out to replace ceramic bearings.

Another good thing is boats of that era have plenty of information available online (manuals, shop manuals, engine manual), plus nice things like pre-cut hydroturf (which I highly recommend).

jjdurrant

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok.. I inquired on all three. Will keep you guys updated.. man, I am so grateful for all the feedback and advice! I will be donating to the site.

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
That 05 sea-doo is sharp!!! It says up to date on suggested service, anyone know what the hours for super charger service is??