• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Hey there.. looking at getting my first boat!

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
@jjdurrant , this site doesn't accept "donations" everyone just loves these boats and loves to help..

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

jjdurrant

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok.. I thought I saw a donation link.. maybe that was YJB..

Yeah that SeaDoo is speaking to me!

jonw9

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
That 05 sea-doo is sharp!!! It says up to date on suggested service, anyone know what the hours for super charger service is??
Early ones were 100 hours. That was somewhat based on the (defective) ceramic washers in the clutch. The new ones are stainless and have a 200 hour rebuild period.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I would think if it's up to date on recommend service and it has 225 hours that should have been done, so he would have 175 care free hours.

jjdurrant

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
ha!

Well the 05 SeaDoo sold.. darn it!

jjdurrant

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I know.. so they seller on that Exciter seems offended I am basing a SBT engine as a deal breaker.. He just sent me:

http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=280957

--

Maybe this will help ease your mind……….I am an Engineer. When something fails the first thing you need to do is figure out what caused the failure…..THEN and ONLY THEN can you replace fix the bad part….

Let’s say I was idiot…….I had a 1999 Exciter that the engine blew up in. I ordered an SBT engine and put it in myself…..(it isn’t hard) Two hours later the engine blew again? Is it the Engine? 99.99% no! It was the bad carbs….or a clogged water inlet…..or….too many things……

So now I go online and bash SBT because I F’d up by not having all the auxiliary systems 100% before I put their engine in!!! This is literally what you find when someone bashes another company….

Another thing to note…….if an engine is going to fail……it will usually fail (99.99%) of the time within the first couple hours when things aren’t 100%.

jonw9

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
Well, if it makes you feel better, I too am an engineer and I would likely pass on the boat.

Based on the distance (4 hours), price, and engines, also the fact that there are nicer, larger boats available near-by.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
SBT engines are not necessarily bad. We probably do hear a lot more of the horror stories than success stories due to people posting more often when one fails. A mechanic that I trust uses them when he needs an engine. Regardless I was happier to have factory engines in my LX210 than I would have been having SBT engines. If an engine had failed I intended to replace it with a Yamaha engine from a 1200 wave runner.

jonw9

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
I don't know much about the mercury. The photos are blurry, and apparently not even of the boat for sale. The text seems to bet copy/paste from some website. If it is close by, it might be worth a look.

jjdurrant

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
True.. engine aside, I think he is asking too much and I would like something bigger.

jjdurrant

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I don't know much about the mercury. The photos are blurry, and apparently not even of the boat for sale. The text seems to bet copy/paste from some website. If it is close by, it might be worth a look.
It's 20 mins from me.. worth a look I think

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
The 20' sugar sands looked pretty nice up by you as welk

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't mean to say that SBT is bad but I would say that I would look at it very closely and scrutinize what was done to fix the problem, etc.
By taking it out solo I mean the boat tilting a bit too much because of my size :)

I received confirmation that the engines are indeed SBC.. argh.

--

They are the SBT premium engines. Don’t believe everything you read on the forum. I have been into Jet-Skis and Jet Boats since I was 19…I am 46 now. When someone posts something negative about SBT it is because they most likely f’d up and point the blame. I have had engines from them rebuilt for RACING and have never had a single issue…..matter of fact…when I rebuilt the pumps they sent the wrong bearings for the pump housings….I had ONE day to get it back on the water for a skiing trip. They overnighted the right bearings for AM DELIVERY no questions asked.

The problem with open forums is you never hear the positives only the negetives….

I’ll bring my Compression gage with me so you can see. PLUS these were installed by a yahama dealer. Don’t worry about SBT….they have been in business for over 15 years….that says something!
I don't disagree with any of these objections and I am not saying that I would stay away from SBT necessarily. I would want to see who did the work, what the original problem was, and I would want to see that this ran for awhile following the work being done. Your $7K would seem very reasonable for this set up. At the same time, I think looking at the larger LS/LX and even earlier 210's makes sense.