• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Hit a wake hard and alarm sounded

PortTobacco II

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey I hit a wake hard yesterday and lost power momentarily. An alarm sounded and dashboard screen rebooted. Plus my Garmin rebooted. 15 plus years with these boats don't think that ever happened and I had hit some hard wakes before. Maybe loose battery connectors?

Hey I hit a wake hard yesterday and lost power momentarily. An alarm sounded and dashboard screen rebooted. Plus my Garmin rebooted. 15 plus years with these boats don't think that ever happened and I had hit some hard wakes before. Maybe loose battery connectors?
I agree...check all of your battery connections and ground bus-bar.

Also make sure your rear hatch is tight and the kill switches are working properly. Sometimes hitting a wave can jar the hatch loose and shut down the engines. if the switched were just slightly loose it could do what you experienced

Agree with all the guys chiming in about electrical connections. The loss of power is in regards to electrical, or to go-fast power? If it's go-fast, if you've hit wakes before, you should have experienced the loss when you're crossing the trough and not sucking water through the pump, so you have that "surge". Otherwise, if it was electrical, which it sounds like it was, you've got some connection loose, and hitting the wave jarred it enough to cause momentary loss of contact, either due to corrosion, tension on a wire (pulling out, causing intermittent loss), or bad connection (ground, loose wiring, loose connection).

I hate tracking electrical issues, hope you just have a loose and easy-to-find connection that caused your problem. Fingers crossed, and be sure to let us know what happened, might help us all for someone in the same situation in the future.

Also make sure your rear hatch is tight and the kill switches are working properly. Sometimes hitting a wave can jar the hatch loose and shut down the engines. if the switched were just slightly loose it could do what you experienced

Dang you are good. Just so happens one of the handles to the door to clean ports is broken. I was running with just one latch on that door so that must be it.

Just one of the few benefits of being around since the dawn of time!!!

Back