• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How does your 230 series handle?

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My 230 had that much play until I changed the steering cables last fall. Now it is much much tighter. Don't know if it is the cables or just that I took everything apart and tightened everything down more when putting it back together. I did find where the two steering cables hook together in a brass block that is then bolted to a bracket behibd the wheel had been very loose. It had worn a grove in the bottom side of it. I flipped it over and placed a small washer inbetween the block and the bracket it bolted to. This helped a lot. I can take a pic this afternoon i f u need one.

@Bruce also has a thread where he made bushings to place into the hardware at the point where the cables are attached and said it made it tighten up. The boat comes with plastic bushing that tend to wear down some.

JetPowered

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Geez I’m bad at following up. I replaced the port steering cable this spring due to rust in the inner jacket that was observed when I did a pressure flush with oil. Due to time constraints and good condition of the starboard cable I left it alone. Steering feel was about the same and slop was still present. At this point everything from the cable clamp at the helm back is tight and in would I would call normal tolerances for a jet boat but the steering play forward of the helm gear remains about the same as it did three years ago. Obviously I have become accustomed to it but it is still tiring to drive all day or when the lake is very busy. It’s also very hard to park it in a slip or at the dock. It absolutely SUCKS when it’s windy. I had put up with it until now but now that the boat now has a permanent spot on the boathouse lift ease of work and increased usage necessitates repairs.

A few weeks ago I had taken off the steering wheel and have determined that most of the play is at the coupler between the helm gear input and the wheel assembly. To play it safe I’m ordering a new helm gear as well. I’d rather just start over.

I’m going to order new parts for both the helm gear and wheel assembly.

F2D-U1400-00-00 and F2D-U151A-00-00, Numbers 5 and 10 respectively on the below diagram.

I’ll let you know how it goes. I hope to have it all installed before Labor Day weekend.
upload_2018-8-16_14-49-23.gif

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Following as the slop in my wheel is more pronounced now. Looking for a fix as well.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Didn’t @Bruce resolve this issue with some plastic bushings on the bucket?

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Didn’t @Bruce resolve this issue with some plastic bushings on the bucket?
He did but he also replaced his cables I believe. I plan to look at my bushings this weekend to see if they need replacing. Also will be looking behind the helm again to see if there is an issue there as well.

JetPowered

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Doesn’t hurt the investigate and make sure the bushings are solid, but In this case it’s not a bushing issue. This is very much limited to the helm assembly.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Doesn’t hurt the investigate and make sure the bushings are solid, but In this case it’s not a bushing issue. This is very much limited to the helm assembly.
I believe the majority of my slack is in the steering assembly as well.. I can turn the wheel a bunch before the arm the cables attach to ever moves.

sethman919

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I believe the majority of my slack is in the steering assembly as well.. I can turn the wheel a bunch before the arm the cables attach to ever moves.
Same here. Plan to take the helm apart one of these days and see if I can fix it.

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I took a look yesterday and bushings seem to be fine, but i didnt take anything apart. Didnt seem to be that much play in the rear to me except for a little bit of play in the starboard cable. Behind the helm...that is where there is play. Definitely seems to be in the steering box somewhere. Not sure if thats my only issue but it certainly seems like something is a miss there. Might do as @sethman919 says and take it apart this winter. Wondering if there are an gears worn out. The issue is the parts are pricey so hopefully it can be fixed by other means.

TOGA

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yup.....this is the nature of a jet boat with no skeg in the water. You can spin the thing on a dime and carve some amazing turns because of thrust directional turning, but the same plus is a minus. Now the 24' boats with the new keel and rudder (they call it an articulating keel") have changed this significantly....they is no longer any wiggling when cutting through wakes, and tracking is hugely improved. But there is also a little less "Jet boat feel"....she doesn't spin on a dime like the older boats....but still great turning....just not awesome.

I agree with the above statement. Coming from typical stern drives, the "surfing" feel took some getting used to, but it isn't unmanageable.

I don't correct for every response the boat may have to a wake or wave. If they are minor, the boat surfs it out and then returns to course.

Wind doesn't bother my boat either.

One thing I have noticed is that having the engines in perfect sync can cause the boat to pull to one direction. I adjust throttle to track straight so long as they are within a few 100 rpm's of each other to correct and maintain a light and responsive wheel.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I agree with the above statement. Coming from typical stern drives, the "surfing" feel took some getting used to, but it isn't unmanageable.

I don't correct for every response the boat may have to a wake or wave. If they are minor, the boat surfs it out and then returns to course.

Wind doesn't bother my boat either.

One thing I have noticed is that having the engines in perfect sync can cause the boat to pull to one direction. I adjust throttle to track straight so long as they are within a few 100 rpm's of each other to correct and maintain a light and responsive wheel.
Yes but I love the sound when they harmonize!

JetPowered

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
So I think I am FINALLY ready to deal with the loose steering. I did do some tightening of the steering shaft bolts that hold the tilt steering shaft to the main steering shaft. That cleaned up a bit of play. Found a few loose bolts in the helm area, that cleaned up a little more. However still slop in the tilt gear AND the main gear. I'm going to replace the main gear. Clearly I've dealt with it over the years, but as the wake boat traffic increases on my lake and the water gets more and more choppy, constant steering input is getting tiring.

SOOO, I'm Trying to find a good cross reference to a non dealer gear. Does anyone have access to their 2007-2009 boat to look at the main help gear and pull a part number? As i said before, the main gear PN from Yamaha is F2D-U151A-00-00. PartsPak has them right now to $229 with $26 in shipping. Not too bad but trying to get it down a little bit more.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In about 4 hours I'll be at my boat but need specific instructions of what your looking for

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Dude, if that system works, I’m very interested to know how it performs. I’ve got a little bit of play in my steering also (not as much as yours), and would love to know how tight that is, and whether it is easier to steer when cruising. My wife has to use both hands to steer when cruising, and I’ve got new cables.

JetPowered

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Any kind of identifying marks that look like a part number. It's been years since I pulled me helm gear and don't remember if there were other numbers printed on it

Hogger Dick

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I’m interested as well...lots of slop