• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How far south to be able to do watersports in early October?

JohnB

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The kids have a couple days off of school Oct 8/9. We are looking at the possibility of renting a house and spending some time on a lake for an extended weekend.
By this time of year, watersports season will be just memories in Ohio...how far south (along I-77 or I-75) would we need to go to have some decent water that we'd be able to tube and ski in? Any recommendations for lakes to check out?

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I would say Southern Ohio would be far enough. Pretty sure we were surfing into early Oct last year in central IL.

Maybe one of the TN lakes like Norris.

BeauSko

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m sure you can find some good spots in NC, but I can vouch for either Lake Marion or Lake Moultrie in SC. Water will still be warm enough for water sports. Not sure what the rental housing looks like right on the lakes but I’d bet you can find something pretty easy. If you want to make your way to the coast, lots of inter-coastal waterways with lots and lots of options for boating.

Epsmith19

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Other
I live in Charlotte NC. We have Lake Norman + Lake Wylie a straight shot down I-77. It's definitely hot enough here in early-mid Oct.

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Lake Cumberland in Kentucky is GREAT in October. I never stop using my boat slipped there until mid /late November.

JohnB

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Keep the replies coming....definitely digging into Norris, Norman and Cumberland a bit more. Hoping to keep within an 8 hour drive.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You can do lake Michigan if you want to wear a Dry suit :)

Maccam26

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Surface temp on Lake Wylie (SC/NC) was 91 this past Sunday...
I may be coming south (Norman/Wylie) this weekend, our water here at Belews Lake is ridiculous these days.
3E53182C-6937-4F8D-92B4-AD2996FDB5AC.jpeg

Enduro900

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Keep the replies coming....definitely digging into Norris, Norman and Cumberland a bit more. Hoping to keep within an 8 hour drive.
I would vote for Norris Lake......The lake water looks pretty clear/clean (we’ve stopped and looked at the lake but have never boated on it) and you can ride for miles and miles with a lot of marina’s for gas and should have a ton of VRBO’s places to rent on the water that time of year.

Again I’ve never boated on Norris, but I have on the Cumberland lake in KY and Chickamauga Lake in TN (near Chattanooga TN) and both are good but I found both to be very murky/not very clear in comparison.

Boating on Norris is now on my bucket list :thumbsup:

Epsmith19

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Other
Might want to check the lake levels at Norris that time of year Im not sure when they drop but I know a lot houses lose use of their docks when the levels drop.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
You can do lake Michigan if you want to wear a Dry suit :)
Hell that is anytime except maybe August. And I’ll be honest even August is pretty cold.

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
There is nothing any clearer than Dale Hollow !! Just a little to far for me to drive for a day of boating. My wife even thinks driving back and forth to Cumberland in a day is too much.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Oct 14, 2014

Hit or miss. Evenings perhaps a jacket? Mid-day, warm water in the Pocomoke. 20 miles south of Ocean City MD, wherein October it is a buyer's market for all type of rentals - house in Ocean Pines or OC, and endless supply of empty hotel rooms for any budget. Personally I'd grab a house in Ocean Pines. Plus, it is Ocean City shoulder season and the kids will have a blast on the Boardwalk. You can also boat in the Assawoman Bay which surrounds OC, which is bath water in October. During the summer too many druken idioits on the water, but in October it will be empty.

bthessel

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Lake Cumberland is usually still pretty good the first week or two of October unless there have been a lot of cool nights or rain that brings the water temps down. Still good for water sports and tubing but a little chilly to float in. Right now the water is amazingly clear. I can be in up to my neck and clearly see my feet usually. Stay towards the east end of the lake and it is a short drive out to Cumberland Falls for some good hiking. I think houseboat rentals get a lot cheaper in Oct. if you want to stay on the water.

Captain_Ron65

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Might want to check the lake levels at Norris that time of year Im not sure when they drop but I know a lot houses lose use of their docks when the levels drop.
Most of the TVA lakes start the winter drawdown in October, gradually dropping the level over the month. Early October should be fine for most of the lakes in East TN. Norris Lake Water Level

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am older so I like warm water. We had a lake house in north Ga and typically by early Oct. the water has cooled a lot. I think you can do water sports but you probably won't just float in the water. Even the kids weren't very enthused about the water then. Again I like warmer water.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I still did some water sports at lake Lanier last October. Gets a bit cool but not terrible.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've been in Cumberland in late September. It wasn't comfy for more than a few minutes. I would go further south.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It snowed up here in N Illinois last October. If it does it again I might go wakeboarding to say I’ve done it in the snow👍