• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How should I store an OPENED tube of 4200?

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski or anyone else who has had success with storing OPENED tubes of 4200 or 5200, what did you do to allow you to use the tube at least a second time?

I put my 4200 fast cure in a zip lock bag, and then in the fridge. Is there a reasonable chance that I can get a second use out of the tube, or should I have stored it in the freezer, or is it just garbage now?

They really need to sell 1-2oz tubes, even the 3oz tube ends up wasting a huge portion of the tube if you only need to do a single fitting. Hoping I'm able to use the 2 1/2 ounces I have left to finish (or redo) the project I'm working on. Not sure if I stored it properly to at least give me a fighting chance, so looking for some confirmation here.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski or anyone else who has had success with storing OPENED tubes of 4200 or 5200, what did you do to allow you to use the tube at least a second time?

I put my 4200 fast cure in a zip lock bag, and then in the fridge. Is there a reasonable chance that I can get a second use out of the tube, or should I have stored it in the freezer, or is it just garbage now?

They really need to sell 1-2oz tubes, even the 3oz tube ends up wasting a huge portion of the tube if you only need to do a single fitting. Hoping I'm able to use the 2 1/2 ounces I have left to finish (or redo) the project I'm working on. Not sure if I stored it properly to at least give me a fighting chance, so looking for some confirmation here.
I think it's freezer or bust - for long term. But it depends how long, if it's just few days and in the fridge, I'm sure it's fine as long as it flows.

--

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think it's freezer or bust - for long term. But it depends how long, if it's just few days and in the fridge, I'm sure it's fine as long as it flows.

--
I'm looking at this coming Friday or Saturday for the second usage.

It has been in the fridge since 5:30 on Sunday, I will swap it to the freezer and cross my fingers. If it doesn't work, I have two different types of 5200 to fall back on (and waste half an ounce or less of those, as well).

I saw a 1oz tube of 5200, but it was $13. For that price, I'll GLADLY throw out a barely-used 3oz tube!

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
One thing I've done to use a second time was to simply cut it open along its length. Used my finger to get it. Obviously the tube is done afterwards... but got to use it twice that way.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
One thing I've done to use a second time was to simply cut it open along its length. Used my finger to get it. Obviously the tube is done afterwards... but got to use it twice that way.
Right now, it's got a screw in the tip, inside a zip lock bag with as much air removed as possible, and sitting in the freezer.

Hoping for the best, but I will use your idea if I can't get it to dispense normally. I would still have to toss it, so nothing to lose, other than a lot greater chance of making a mess. Maybe I should get video of this upcoming fiasco! 🤣