• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How to reduce Jet Spray when wakeboarding? 16 AR192

DBMainiac

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Hey guys

Finally got a chance to do some wakeboarding behind my 192 and after always riding behind a transom mounted I/O, the two biggest things were.
1. Wow, having a wake tower is a huge improvement in getting up and not getting yanked down during jumps. And.....
2. Holy shit that spray changes everything in the middle.
3. Lucky 13 for improved holeshot is huge!

Along with the L13, I have a CJS Viper. Both of these are said to reduce spray to some degree, so I cant imagine how it would be stock. Also, and I know this is probably huge. I had 5 adults in the boat while I was riding. I am so used to a smooth middle on I/O and being able to do on water 360 etc but riding in the wake for about 5 seconds was an immediate faceplant. How can I improve this? I had people move around to change shape of the wake, but not having a trim, obviously I need to find the right balance. Next time out, I'm going to try a driver and spotter and boarding. That's it. 5-600 less in the boat will probably decrease the wake but hopefully spray as well?

Lets hear from the experts!

kent426

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Try the new WakeThrusters from Jet Boat Pilot.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You just get used to it. Honestly, there isn't a ton that can be done about the "washed out" center of the wake. What ou're riding on is the highly turbulent water from the jet (obviously), and some amount of entrained air from the pressure delta in the jet itself. Really not a ton you can do about it. I've learned to spend my time out in the flats, and right on the edge of the wake. I can ride the edge like a balance beam/rail to some degree now. I'm hoping to improve skills again soon so I can start using that lip as for kicklfips/ollies/shoveits and such. I ride a skate not a board, so some of those aren't really applicable for you, but you get the idea.

If you're doing something like a 360deg spin on the surface (no air/jumping). Then you can do that far easier out in the flats anyway. Give this a try.......I spin clockwise off the starboard side easiest. Cut out with your left foot forward into the flats. Pull pretty hard to get a good little bit out there. Now, just as you stop cutting you'll feel some slack in the line. Not really slack, but the tension will ease off significantly. NOW is when you pull back with your left hand, pass the handle behind you, and start spinning. As you pass through center, give the handle back to the left hand, and release the right hand. Let the building tension align your hips/shoulders. If you're out on a smooth day, then doing this in the flats is nice and easy. Choppy days are harder and you're more likely to catch an edge.

Here's a good video on a technique to get more pop from the small wake. I've ALMOST gone wake to wake on the skate a couple of times using this technique. It's a bit harder with the skate because it's not attached to my feet, but I'm getting close. I look like a goof doing it, but I'm hoping the style will come as I get better.

jmax5105

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is the Thrust Vector Wake system the only thing out there that will reduce the spray to my tube riders? Is there anything else out there for this? If I didn't already have the cobra jet fins on my boat, I'd give it a try, but I don't want to spend the extra $$$ for something that I already have 'most' of on the boat. We just got the boat (2006 AR 230) and the tube riders and knee boarders already don't want to ride because of all the spray hitting them. Just get a longer rope? Just wondering what other options are out there that would help reduce the spray (if any).

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is the Thrust Vector Wake system the only thing out there that will reduce the spray to my tube riders? Is there anything else out there for this? If I didn't already have the cobra jet fins on my boat, I'd give it a try, but I don't want to spend the extra $$$ for something that I already have 'most' of on the boat. We just got the boat (2006 AR 230) and the tube riders and knee boarders already don't want to ride because of all the spray hitting them. Just get a longer rope? Just wondering what other options are out there that would help reduce the spray (if any).
Most run a longer rope (75ft I think), and some have good luck with the "power booster" thing on the line as well.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
So if the l13 cone does increase the thrust and that increases the water pressure coming out the nozzle so more force means more spray I heard "Emphasis on heard " that a l13 cone destroyed one of the t v wakes and bent the bolts attaching the fins to the reverse bucket, so apparently the single engine having the nozzle dead center will produce more water spray with more thrust. Try longer rope to get away from the spray. You should also look at the reverse hood when it is in forward to be sure it is not touching the water exiting the nozzle and possibly causing it to lift up , if you create an obstruction in a strong stream of water it will cause that water to move toward the contact so if the reverse hood is slightly touching the top of the water exiting the nozzle that will cause the water to go up in the air more. So check on that as well.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
There are 3 things you need , first be sure the tube is pumped up hard, I use a hand pump to finish the inflation so that your hand bounces off the tube next you need a 75 foot rope, and you already have high speed steering so you will be impressed how this works and how fast you can slide the tubes sideways , I do it driving with my feet on a p w c, towing 2 tubes at once with 5 people in them.

jmax5105

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think I saw you (Jeff) post about using a hand pump to 'finish' inflating, so the tubes are firm and slide better.... I just ordered one earlier this morning on a Amazon Prime day deal! I think that is a great idea and I'll get a longer rope or a piece to add another 15 feet to my 60' ropes and see how it goes.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Cool I think you are going to be impressed on how the tubes slide and bounce if you do the waver right you can really flip the tube in the air.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I buy the 3 and 2 person sit down tubes from Sams club they are the ones in my videos where I stand on the seat of a jet ski towing 2 tubes with 3 people in one ans 2 in the other tied behind the 3 seater. The super Mable was ok but these pull easier. , can't explain it but finding the tube that pulls the best is also important The ones I use are from WOW not real expensive but very strong and easy to tow

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Longer rope. I threw an extra 20 feet or so into whatever came with the time when we were pulling on a friends Yamaha. I don't have much problem on my ar230.

DBMainiac

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Thanks guys for your responses. Longer rope is fine to a point but it lessens the curl and wides the wake further out obviously. So it doesn't sound like can really do to much about the spray as it is. I just need to focus on balancing the boat to maximize the wake and get my ass in the air. If I start nailing full air 360s and the like, I probably wont miss the ability to do it on water in the middle of the wake haha.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks guys for your responses. Longer rope is fine to a point but it lessens the curl and wides the wake further out obviously. So it doesn't sound like can really do to much about the spray as it is. I just need to focus on balancing the boat to maximize the wake and get my ass in the air. If I start nailing full air 360s and the like, I probably wont miss the ability to do it on water in the middle of the wake haha.
I’m an idiot! Obviously responded in the wrong thread above with the tube nonsense, sorry!
What’s the rope you use? I don’t remember exactly what we did behind the single but with the 240 a 75ft rope puts us behind most of the white wash.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Good point, I think we all went off track on that one

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was wondering where the tube info was coming from :D :D

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
2. Holy shit that spray changes everything in the middle.
So, as we are constantly debating potential merits of moving to a dedicated surf/wake boat we are always quick to jump into friends' boats, lol, and in my experience with new or-er wake boats, the wake is not clean at all. Older ski boats , MC, Malibu - yes, those create a completely flat wake. The new monsters, not so much.
Here is the 2019 Moomba Makai

--

jmax5105

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry everyone! I think I brought tubes into the mix when I was asking about anything to help keep the spray down. Didn't mean to derail the thread.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I always get out of the white wash soon as the boat pulls me up. The problem I’m finding is that newer riders don’t know how to get out of the white wash and it’s causing problems for them.