• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How to stop cat sharpening claws on SEA DEK

Minisub

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
2018 210 FSH
I have been finding marks in the gunnel SEA DEK, which I could not explain. Last night at 0237 my security camera caught a cat sharpening it’s claws on the SEA DEK. Mystery solved, I mentally ran through all the combat options and realized I needed a non-lethal solution, as this could be a child’s pet. Off to Home Depot I go, plan in mind and wallet ready. I bought two solar motion sensor lights and mounted them to the T-Top With zip ties. I aimed the forward one at the bow and the aft one at the center of the engine cover, so it would cover the whole stern. Tonight I hope to open the eyes of this criminal feline.

B4A76475-7B70-4019-9353-7DE593B605A2.jpeg8A901C80-0B58-4682-B4CA-07E18BAA6266.png12E3CD63-1738-4126-8077-94B024294988.jpegD0D44872-0255-437F-9D0B-87627A1F889B.jpeg8B589EB6-76D8-401D-9DAC-8DF26A9F97A4.jpeg

Big dog works :)

Aluminum foil covering works as well. I think also a lemon scented spray will keep them off.

I just sprayed some lemongrass essential oils, diluted (3) parts water to (1) part oil, thanks 2kwik4u.

The motion lights do work well though, nice not to have to turn on the batteries and spreaders to find something from he boat at night.

Neutron and Danielmailin nice idea, adding night vision or thermal scope would be needed. Thermal would be better! I’ll keep that as plan C.

I have had the same problem with the cat clawing up my AR250. Did the lemongrass essentials oil work?

The 9mm and bb gun are solutions if you don't have to worry about what is down range, used a bb gun on the neighbors dog who would come take a dump in our backyard when I was a kid and if you don't mind the 3 S's...Shoot, Shovel and Shutup after a 9mm in the neighborhood. A motion activated dog barking sensor is cheap and might do the job.

Other than that I say get a dog bigger than the cat. I would not put up with that cat destroying my boat. Find the cat's owner and collect damages, you have evidence.

Last edited:
Night one completed with lemongrass oil and motion lights, the cat did not visit my boat. Still waiting on a Yamaha Mooring cover. Good news is Jetboat Pilot is three miles down the road so replacement SEA DEK will happen after the cover comes in.

Night one completed with lemongrass oil and motion lights, the cat did not visit my boat. Still waiting on a Yamaha Mooring cover. Good news is Jetboat Pilot is three miles down the road so replacement SEA DEK will happen after the cover comes in.

What's the plan if/when the damn thing tears up your new hard-to-get mooring cover that took forever to get since it was on backorder? Still a concern at that point for someone's "pet" that they don't consider the ramifications of allowing to roam?

I'm all about trying to be nice to animals, but the owners have a responsibility to the animal and their neighbors to not allow them to become a nuisance, and if that's not a feral cat, they have allowed their "pet" to do just that.

They are prey to other animals as well.

Trap it, and do whatever you feel led to do, but I damn sure wouldn't make it easy for an irresponsible owner to get it back.

While i do agree with that, assuming it belongs to someone then it needs to be brought to the attention of the owner first. They atleast need to be given the opportunity to correct the situation. No cat owner knows what their cat is doing when its outside unless you tell them. Once they are made aware, if it happens again then you take more drastic measures. If its feral then just trap and take to a shelter. Once you have a cover on the boat the cat prob wont be able to get up there or have any desire to since the seadek will be covered up.

Motion sensor lawn sprinkler. Set it up on a stake up high in the grass pointed towards the boat. It only has to spray the side and scare the cat away, plus the added bonus of a boat wash.

There is this tape you can buy at pet smart. Line your gunnels and it'll scare the crap outta it and it wont come back. Girlfriend did this with her countertops and table. Cat learned real quick!
Its called "Sticky Paws"

“Sticky Paws” would work for a small area but my boat is a JET PILOT Edition with SeaDek everywhere. I cant cover it all everyday.
37E4E509-507D-4DE2-815C-CED0610474E4.jpeg

Use the smallest mice traps you can buy. Set them up were the cat climbs / enters on the boat and more where the damage is. They will scare the cat and even if the cat gets a paw in them it will only hurt and not kill. Over a few days you can just leave the traps sit there without loading them and the cat wont return. Had same issue with pool patio furniture. The approach worked well

Back