• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How was your buying experience?

scott1001001

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just started to look at either a SX or AR 192 and I am excited! I got a quote from the closest dealer and their quote was retail (MSRP). I live in FL so their are several Yamaha dealers in the area. What was shocking was the $1400 freight charge and the $1200 dealer prep fee!

I don't expect to pay retail on any autos. I purchased 2 FXHOs last year and certainly did not pay full price.

So...what did you pay for you AR/SX 190/192 boat? Dealer fees and other freight?

The final price after tax is a little discouraging. But, I know I will find something. Any dealer recommendation in FL? Thanks for your help!

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
First off,:Welcome:!!!

Last I checked, there were still a lot of 15 Ar192's around and even saw some 14 192's. So why the dealer wont drop freight and prep fees is beyond me. As with car shopping, I find its best to have your financing or cash in hand, tell them what you want, what you'll pay and ask them if they'd like to deal or not. Some will brush you off.:finger: Some wont. Best of luck, and again, welcome to the forums.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was surprised as well when I learned that Yamaha pricing is pretty much MSRP plus whatever the dealer adds in charges. The only discounts are for older models. You are shopping at a good time since the 2016s have been announced with a very nice new tower and 2014s and 2015s remain available on dealer lots.

Personally I would either step down to a much more fuel efficient 190 or up to a larger Yamaha. The 192 burns more fuel than any other Yamaha boat and has a 30 gallon tank. The 190 is very efficient so the 30 gallon tank is fine. The larger boats have 50 gallon tanks and burn significantly less fuel.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have to agree with @Bruce. Had the opportunity to ride a 192 and granted it goes a few MPH faster, but at the expense of the fuel burn rate.... No thanks. Most of our cruising is done around 25-35mph and this thing sips fuel. We can easily pull tubes, wakeboarders, skis. I worried about the power too and after speaking with a few owners just went for it. Glad I did. We love our 190. Of course theres a beautiful 2014 212SS that just got listed for a fair price as well!

scott1001001

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the welcome and feedback on the fuel usage. I agree about the speed as most of our waterways in my area are 25/30mph restricted. I think I will look at the AR190 as I prefer the wrap around seat configuration in the pit.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
Welcome @scott1001001 are dead set on a 19'? Towing/storage reasons maybe? I only ask because there is currently a member selling a 14 212SS for a price that is pretty similar to what you are probably being quoted for new 19's. Just tossing it out there and good luck with your search.

skbishop90

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Buy a 21' or larger. Buy your last boat first. Take my advice. I wish I had gone to a 212X. If I had more equity in my AR192, I'd sell it.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Shop around for a better deal. MSRP is usually the selling price for the boats but no more. I paid list price but no other charges at all were added and they included a LOT of extras and upgrades for free. 5 year yes warranty, galv trailer upgrade, coast guard package, upgraded speakers, rod holders and more.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I bought used and saved thousands between the tax, delivery fee, prep fee... and then there were the extras! Full custom installed stereo, cover, fenders, lines, depth gauge... definitely comb though the used boat listings and use the savings for mods!

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My first experience with buying a 190 was seamless, a little disappointing getting no discount, I did however get an extra years warranty.
I was also charged freight and handling, but being from "outa town ;)" I thought it was the norm. I was also charged extra for a galvanised trailer, so figure that in too.

On a different angle, I've bought another boat from the same dealer and it's been a total different experience, I'm not going into detail, but get the right salesman on your side, at least one that knows about boats.

scott1001001

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the feedback about your buying experiences. The dealer I talked to had already added on $3000 to the MSRP. As far as I am concerned, that is going in the wrong direction. I am going to look elsewhere. There are at least 6 dealers within a few hours driving distance from me. I am willing to spend a couple hours on the road to save some $$$.

As are as the 212 series goes, the weight won't work with my 6 cylinder Wrangler. Maybe I can trade it in for a new F150. Damn, I am going to be broke!

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was able to negotiate a less than msrp, a galvanized trailer, mooring cover, and 5 year YES. Just stay as long as you need to and get the deal that you want. Eat all their donuts and drink all their coffe. Eventually they will want you to leave and cave in.

(Edit). Also didn't pay any dealer prep.

Last edited:

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I bought mine for 1500.00 under MSRP, free galvanized trailer upgrade, free mooring cover and only paid 300.00 for prep. The only thing I asked for that they didn't budge on was some free life jackets, but they did give me 25% discount on any accessories I needed. In fact I bought my boat at the end of July and the dealer didn't have one in stock, they went 4 hours away to get it. Another thing my dealer did for me was to redo my loan when Yamaha dropped the interest rate from 4.99 to 2.99 two days after I bought my boat. I called several dealers with in a reasonable driving distance to see if they could better my deal and they said they couldn't touch my deal and pretty much thought I was lying to them.

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
On another note, which quite often happens in the auto industry, I was a cash buyer, you get more clout if your taking the finance.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

RiverRat

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I bought mine new in March 2014 and paid 2100 under msrp, no prep. I'd have to check on the freight, I don't think it was outrageous though. Having to buy in Illinois and pay sales tax there hurt a bit more than Wisconsin tax would have though.

S6T6

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yeah like others said was a little sticker shocked with no real end of season sale pricing. We paid MSRP, but on top of that got $1000 Yamaha cash, $1000 dealer cash, free 5-yr warranty, upgraded galvanized swing arm trailer, and free Yamaha heavy duty travel cover, plus 2.99% financing. First boat purchase, but we are happy enough.

scott1001001

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Update, I had an offer today for $1500 under mrsp for a new 2015 ar 190 and no freight charge and $500 prep fee. I am going tomorrow to look at it and if 2.99 holds out I plan to take it home. Will let you know. Thanks for all the great advice.

My last boat was a Fourwinds 175, aka Money Pit. This boat will for sure be an upgrade.

Last edited:

scott1001001

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, I put in an offer in at the dealer and I am awaiting for a response. $1500 off msrp , free Yamaha boat cover and tube package. If everything goes through, I will have the boat by early next week. No freight charge and $500 prep fee. 2015 ar190, what a beautiful boat.