• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Hull yellowing

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
First do the zep purple industrial degreaser then do the acid mix you used on the hull.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
First do the zep purple industrial degreaser then do the acid mix you used on the hull.
I applied the degreaser, it didn’t do much with the gunk.
Because I’m in the aluminum parts, I’m going to try and work my way up in acidity to get this part clean. Will report back later.

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
well the degreaser is sodium hydroxide. basically oven cleaner. you put that on first because that will dissolve anything organic. it needs to sit and if its heavy it helps to use a scrub brush. it wil remove the slime, algae and anything like that. the acid applied afterward will then eventually eat away the corrosion.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
well the degreaser is sodium hydroxide. basically oven cleaner. you put that on first because that will dissolve anything organic. it needs to sit and if its heavy it helps to use a scrub brush. it wil remove the slime, algae and anything like that. the acid applied afterward will then eventually eat away the corrosion.
Ok I’ll do a more liberal (big spraydown) application tomorrow. Cleaning boats is a young man’s game….

Dennis P

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Here are a couple of pics, coming out of the lake after 3 months on the slip and following a good cleaning with Star-Brite Hull Cleaner. Just don't inhale this stuff! I use my boat brush to ease off the scum, comes brite white.Out after 3 months at the slip.jpgAfter Star-Brite Hull Cleaner.jpg

Last edited:

Stan M

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252S
Boat Length

Dennis P

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Nice! Just curious if that's Lake water or salt?
Fresh lake water, when I was on Lake Champlain , since COVID and the restricted border crossing situation I keep it on a slip on La Riviere St- Maurice (fresh water) here in Quebec, Canada, now it comes out brown because the water is rich in iron hence the brown scum , comes off just as well with Star-Brite Hull Cleaner.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok I’ll do a more liberal (big spraydown) application tomorrow. Cleaning boats is a young man’s game….
I wound up going more mechanical than chemical. I’m going to try sulfamic acid for the pump.

7CEDC34B-7ED6-4271-A989-453C0BD10BBE.jpeg

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here are a couple of pics, coming out of the lake after 3 months on the slip and following a good cleaning with Star-Brite Hull Cleaner. Just don't inhale this stuff! I use my boat brush to ease off the scum, comes brite white.View attachment 164234View attachment 164235
That’s 3 months??? My boat looked like that after 2-3 straight weeks of being wet slipped last season on our river.

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
lol yeah me to. thats 1-2 weeks here max. when i was waiting to see the 275 colors being released for 2021, my color choice all boiled down to what color the hull bottom was. fortunately with the dark red you dont see any orange. just a little on the white boot stripe and thats it.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Power washing did clean up most of it. What’s the best way to restore color and remove spots?
I went with simple car wash and a brush at the gunk on that transom plate. I didn’t have the guts to go with the Zep degreaser as @mrcleanr6 mentioned on those parts. You could spray and let that sit then go for pressure wash to clean it up. Then finish off with the Zep toilet and the HCL mix.

I just went for more mechanical and less acid back there on the transom plates.

I plan to clean the pumps with sulfamic acid dip later this week and will post results here.

ks9mm

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Here is where I am at after good power washing.
Need to restore this to a good looking state.

Attachments

Cleveland Steamer

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
FYI, I used the acid + ZEP toilet bowl cleaner and it worked like a charm. Although now I have marks on my concrete driveway in the shape of a boat but oh well.

ks9mm

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There has to be an easier way.. this sucks. Vinegar is not working.

Attachments

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wouldn't worry too much about the "look" of it as long as it functions properly and is as clean as you can get it. It's below the waterline.

David Martin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It looks like a coating of some kind was applied to the drive aluminum...........vary black and thick looking. Did your drives come that way?

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Your pissin in the wind with vinegar lol. Use the acid mix or keep soakin it with the zep industrial degreaser. Both are reactive with aluminum and if left for awhile it will eat all that stuff away

ks9mm

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nope. That’s just fresh water slime…

ks9mm

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Your pissin in the wind with vinegar lol. Use the acid mix or keep soakin it with the zep industrial degreaser. Both are reactive with aluminum and if left for awhile it will eat all that stuff away
Thanks. Will try that.
I am about to throw in the towel and get it sandblasted.