• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Hull yellowing

Cleveland Steamer

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’ve noticed that my hull is starting to turn yellow. I’ve used some cleaners and had some success but it’s incredibly stubborn and I’m having a hard time getting off. I’ve tried a number of different chemicals to include All Marine cleaner and different applicators like Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. As you can see I’ve had some success getting the yellow off but not very much.

Any ideas?

DDA92EE4-CDCE-48C3-A06F-8C745C3D50FD.jpeg4B7E4B64-8570-4B85-B520-F1B82410D5D6.jpeg6CB1436A-BD45-4ADA-9E30-5B5CADB92748.jpeg87E5FAE8-1F96-426E-ABB5-9B09B0FE1C91.jpeg

David Martin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Toilet bowl cleaner time.......it the bleach that cleans but TB cleaner it a thicker paste than just bleach so it sticks to the hull and all you haft to do is give it a few min to do its work then scrub and rinse.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
I have posted this before, a 50/50 mix of the zep acidic toilet bowl cleaner and muriatic acid. Works way quicker than the tb cleaner alone. Ver cheap. Ends up being about $7 per gallon. Spray on, sit 5 min and hose or powerwash off. No scrubbing necessary.

Cleveland Steamer

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I tried toil bowl cleaner in the past and I didn’t think it did anything. Now I could have used the wrong kind or didn’t let it sit on long enough. Not sure so I just ordered the Star-Brite stuff. I’ll see how that does and then I’ll try the Muriatic acid. If that doesn’t work I’ll just whip up a batch of crystal meth with the left over acid.

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Toilet bowl cleaner alone isnt really that strong which is why i do the mix. It really kicks it up a notch. You can get it all right at home depot. Muratic by itself sux to use. The fumes are terrible and will burn your lungs and skin plus its watery. The tb cleaner makes it thick to stick to the hull and controls the fumes.

Cleveland Steamer

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Toilet bowl cleaner alone isnt really that strong which is why i do the mix. It really kicks it up a notch. You can get it all right at home depot. Muratic by itself sux to use. The fumes are terrible and will burn your lungs and skin plus its watery. The tb cleaner makes it thick to stick to the hull and controls the fumes.
I see my local Home Depot carries what you’re talking about. I’m gonna stop tomorrow and pick the two up. No scrubbing huh? I have a pressure washer so I’ll give it a whirl. Do I need to cover my trailer in plastic with this 50/50 mix?

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Get one of their large spray bottles. Spray the mix on with that, let it sit for 5 min or so then powerwash it off. Your stains are nothing really. The river where i keep my boat, a white bottom will be solid rust orange in 2-3 weeks. I do the whole bottom on my boat, using a power washer in 10 min. If you have a galvanized trailer then you should cover. Over time it will eventually eat the zinc off. This is true for any hull bottom cleaner

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Star Brite hull cleaner will do the trick. I really really really recommend NOT using Magic Erasers to "clean" any part of your boat interior or exterior. Eventually they will simply dull the finish on the outside and remove material from the interior vinyl.

David Martin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Bio- Dex plaster white N Bright this stuff is amazing it is a cleaner in its own right but its unleavable when mixed with muratic acid it becomes a loose shaving cream the mixture holds in THE MURATIC FUMES.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Cleveland Steamer

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I picked up all of the ingredients that you mentioned. I’ll try this first seeing it was pretty cheap and then try the Star-Brite stuff if this doesn’t work.

102C1584-B11E-4961-B879-579F74FE1B1A.jpeg

Last edited:

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had same issues with yellowing & lime scale. I just cleaned my hull tonight with a mixture of roughly 2/3water & 1/3 muriatic acid and some car wash soap in a pail. Broomed it on in 6’ sections, let it work, broom around some more & let it work, no hard scrubbing needed. Keep doing until it’s clean. Some areas took longer than others but I did the whole thing in about 30min. Painted trailer & gravel driveway so no worries with that. Just rinse as you go.
25FEA0E7-1E7A-4D4A-8AB2-CA4B9328DA88.jpeg

Last edited:

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How did it work on the zebra mussels and aluminum parts?
The HCL made the aluminum shine :D however I needed to use a metal putty knife to get the zebra mussels removed. I plan to pull the pumps to properly clean them. I plan to replace the wear rings and impellers with eom parts. I plan to use sulfamic acid to dip and clean the pump parts.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The HCL made the aluminum shine :D however I needed to use a metal putty knife to get the zebra mussels removed. I plan to pull the pumps to properly clean them. I plan to replace the wear rings and impellers with eom parts. I plan to use sulfamic acid to dip and clean the pump parts.
What do y’all recommend to get rid of this funk in the intake?

image.jpg