• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Hurricane Florence Prep

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Julian 1 Generator 0 HA!!!! Julian's small engine repair shop is open for business! LOL

Got it running (cleaned carb, cleaned carb solenoid), let it run for a few minutes, then shut it off to see how hard it would be to re-start, and on the first pull the cord broke!!! GRRR.....so off to Homedepot to get a new cord. Install new cord, and the flanges that are supposed to go in and out to catch the shaft are not moving......GRRRR! Seems when I was recoiling cord, or when the cord snapped the internal spring also broke.....GRRRR. No one stocks this. While I was at work my wife looks up a place in Angieslist and take the recoil mechanism over to him and he repairs it! Need to find this guys name and give him credit!!!! Install new recoil starter, spray some starter fluid in....and she fires right up! Shut it down, and she starts right up again!

Now hopefully the power stays on and I don't need to mess with it again!!!!!! Worst case I have a small 2k generator that I can use in a pinch while I get the 6k one working.
You can take a rope and wrap around the part the recoil would engage on and pull it like a top.
Depending on the brand, recoils are pretty cheap on amazon pre assembled.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The UFP actuator lockout key is used to prevent the brakes from engaging when backing. Inserting the lockout key in the slot actually does nothing for you. If are serious about locking the brakes, you can pull the safety cable (but not recommended)

From ShoreLand'r Webpage:
"UFP actuators are shipped with a lockout key attached to the side of the actuator on a short cable. The round end of the key is simply inserted in the slot on the side of the actuator. When the key is in the slot the trailer can be backed without the brakes engaging. When the trailer is moved forward the key will fall out of the slot. The key fits very loosely to insure that it will not remain in the slot after backing. Leaving the lockout key in the slot would disable the brake system during normal use, which could result in a serious accident."

https://www.shorelandr.com/service/diagnostic
I understand completely what the lock out key is for.
You are incorrect. i tested it after putting the key in the front after backing the trailer against chocks. I pulled forward and the brakes remained locked.
All it does is keep the piston engaged which applies the brakes.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The UFP actuator lockout key is used to prevent the brakes from engaging when backing. Inserting the lockout key in the slot actually does nothing for you. If are serious about locking the brakes, you can pull the safety cable (but not recommended)

"UFP actuators are shipped with a lockout key attached to the side of the actuator on a short cable. The round end of the key is simply inserted in the slot on the side of the actuator. When the key is in the slot the trailer can be backed without the brakes engaging. When the trailer is moved forward the key will fall out of the slot. The key fits very loosely to insure that it will not remain in the slot after backing. Leaving the lockout key in the slot would disable the brake system during normal use, which could result in a serious accident."

Not the best time to spread misinformation. I suggest you edit your post to clarify your comment is wrong.

The key as inserted by @Neutron will hold the surge brake activated, with the piston pushed in. Certainly not recommended for long term storage etc. but in this case a very good/helpful idea/tip.

--

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I figured besides 4 wheel chocks per side i pushed the brakes on and put the lockout key on the opposite side. That way the brakes are locked on. Makes the trailer more stable
View attachment 83150
This will absolutely work and I am absolutely going to do it. The important part is to first compress the tongue then insert the key. @Neutron were you able to do this by hand or did you just disconnect your trailer wiring harnes once the trailer was in place and creep back an inch or so?

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You can take a rope and wrap around the part the recoil would engage on and pull it like a top.
Depending on the brand, recoils are pretty cheap on amazon pre assembled.
Just don’t stick the strap or rope through any slots or holes in that shaft if you like your arm. Also don’t wrap too much length.

LKNHokie

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

My apologies. I see the key is on the opposite side now...

I owe someone some beer... sorry readings not my bestest skill

Last edited:

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
On my way home from work today I saw a large convey of about 15-20 tree cutting service crew headed towards the east coast to prepare and help. Y’all be careful!

View attachment 83155 View attachment 83156
There are lots of those crews coming from Texas to help out too.

Please be safe everyone in this storms path. Get out of there if you're in a flood zone or told to evacuate.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This will absolutely work and I am absolutely going to do it. The important part is to first compress the tongue then insert the key. @Neutron were you able to do this by hand or did you just disconnect your trailer wiring harnes once the trailer was in place and creep back an inch or so?
@Mainah i moved the boat without the harness connected slowly. My driveway is a downward slope to the garage so the brakes didnt engage. Then got the boat where i wanted and placed the 4 chocks behind the wheels. Appied pressure in reverse. While pressure applied set parking brake and installed key, then released truck brakes and everything stayed in place.
Was real easy

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
We are here riding it out in Jacksonville. Outer bands have just gotten here. We have been around for Fran, Bertha, Floyd and a host of others.... Biggest worry is the amount of time it's going to hang around. Luckily, we have friends that own a huge warehouse and that's where my boat is..... (along with about 20 others). Hope all is well, but honestly could give to two s#!Ts about the boat in times like these. Our friend that owns Marker 17 marine in Wilmington, hooked up to a 38' Fountain and headed north. If he can't get back on the roads, he said he's coming back by water! Imagine the looks he got when he pulled into the gas station and pumped 300 gallons. o_O

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
More levity... prayers and mojo to all of you guys in it’s path.

E8E71A47-F4CD-4D90-B3A2-20F2B9F91B14.jpeg

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Lost the top of a large tree so far with the last series of gusts and rain
20180913_120922.jpg

This is about 300 feet from my house and in the lowest elevation 15 feet down

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just dont connect the electrical harness when you push back! Lol.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just dont connect the electrical harness when you push back! Lol.
@Mainah I missed @Neutron already responded, sorry.
@LKNHokie I should edit my response, too, came out a bit rude which it was not meant to!
@Neutron is my guru bout anything trailer, ever since I did his "bow stop mod"! So... I get a little... solicitous.

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Solicitous.. wow... we dropping $20 dollar words here now!
Okay... you got me. How about: "being a dick", instead?
Better?
:D

Anyway, you guys be careful out there - don't get shafted!
(per @robert843)
upload_2018-9-13_13-2-51.png

--

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hurricane levity ...
For those keen on security the looter stand is highly uneeded in my small neighborhood. Next door lives a SVU detective and a parole officer. Across the street is a pair of state prison guards. Along my street are a few combat vets with lots of guns and ammo. Last but not least is almost every house has multiple firearms. If a looter came into my neighborhood the county coroner 8 doors down would have a hard time figuring out which of the many holes was the lethal one. If a prosecutor and judge move in we may have to change the street name to Criminal Justice Lane

Completed the @Neutron trailer brake lock up trick. Easy peasy. Thanks so much for posting that simple trick. Of course not something you want to do long term for fear of the brakes seizing up but great for certain situations.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My street has only 10 houses and from the families that stayed we have 1 New Bern cop, and 3 tough active Marines and 2 retired Marines all heavily armed.

@Mainah no problem. Here to help and get help. That's what this place is all about

Ziess21

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Best of luck to all of you!